Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jon's Roast Beef (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6180)

imalocal 06-13-2008 12:26 PM

Jon's Roast Beef

OMG - I just had a fabulous roast beef sandwich from Jon's Roast Beef & Deli! I had the small roast beef with the creamy horseradish sauce with lettuce and cheese, and it was sooooooooooooooo good! A small was more than enough to fill me up, but I wish I had a large, because when I was done I wanted more. And the potato salad was excellent as well. I will definitely be going back for more soon.

Newbiesaukee 06-13-2008 05:33 PM

Where is it located?

Resident 2B 06-13-2008 09:29 PM

Near Shaw's and Lowe's and CVS on the Laconia/Gilford line.

Officially on Rt 107 near the intersection with Rt 3.

Good place!

R2B

SteveA 06-14-2008 05:52 AM

Good food and Nice people

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1902

Attachment 1903

We stop in for sandwiches often. Jon recently passed away. The folks that own it now are somehow related to Jon. ( I think :confused:). Very nice bunch of young ladies.

My favorites are Roast Beef w/ Horseradish :cheers:The Cruiser and The Mount Washington. The boss loves the Governor's Island

Be sure you note the hours and the Cash and Checks only policy. (Saves you a fast trip to the ATM :laugh:)

mcdude 06-14-2008 08:01 AM

I've never been tempted to stop in due to their commercials which air frequently on local cable stations. The video is poorly done and the colors are way off making the roast beef look grayish in color! (maybe I should adjust the color on my TV?) However, based on your reviews I'll be sure to stop in next time I make the trip to Lowes.Wait a minute! I have to stop in at Pepper's place! decisions.....decisions....

jrc 06-14-2008 09:13 AM

I actually tried it because of the corny commercials last year.

So far everything I've had has been great except the sausage. It was edible but bland, it needed something. The roast beef, pastrami and BLT was great.

The new owner is very attentive and is always walking around asking about the food. They seem to be getting the hang of running the place.

KennyOfTheLake 06-14-2008 03:00 PM

Cruiser

Yeah! Try a large "Cruiser". Excellent corned beef, melted cheese and cole slaw on a really good sub roll. OMG!

MindFire 06-14-2008 04:25 PM

Jon's ROast Beef

Haven't been there because I cringe at pulling in and out of there. I was there when he first opened. Sorry to hear he has passed. I will try it again!:)

Rattlesnake Gal 06-15-2008 11:45 AM

Looks Yummy!

SteveA, thanks for posting the menu. Any place that has roast beef in the name makes R-Guy nervous. :laugh: Now I feel confident that he can find something delicious too. Thanks everyone for the reviews, I am looking forward to some tasty roast beef! :liplick:

joann721 06-16-2008 09:57 AM

Excellent Cruiser

We stopped at Jons on Saturday afternoon. We were on our way to the Weirs and wanted to have lunch first. We drove down to see if Peppers was open yet and when they were not :( we had to find another place to have lunch. We went to Jons Roast Beef. My husband and I both had the CRUISER which was corned beef - cheese- cole slaw and mustard. My husband said it was one of the best sandwiches he has ever had. The quality was excellent, the service was excellent, the people we welcoming and very nice. Came by the table after we had our food to check on everything. I would give them 5 out of 5 stars for a great lunch at a great price - $4.75 ... cant beat it. Will definite go again & often.

AKADQ 07-27-2008 09:33 AM

Great Food ! Great People !

I have been going to Jon's Roast Beef since it opened with Jon & Liz. Owner operated, Jon ran a tight ship and made a quality sandwich at a good value. I was sorry to hear about Jon's passsing over last winter and was overcome by disapointment for two reasons. One, being that Jon was to young for life to be cut short and two, what would happen to jon's RB. Thankfully Liz found a couple from Gilford... Bill, Rhonda (Rhonda's weiners with the freshest buns) and their son Bill Jr..Since the take over this family operated Deli has exceeded what Jon started (Jon would be happy). I want to thank Bill, Rhonda & his staff for keeping the same quality sandwich's and adding a little personality. Keep up the good work !!!!!

Scott 07-31-2008 08:22 PM

I absolutely love their roast beef sandwiches. My only complaint is just pulling in and out of there on a busy day. :laugh:

SAMIAM 08-01-2008 07:55 AM

Pulling out is a problem for sure .....I can't go by there without stopping for a delicious hot pastrami.When I leave,I don't try to cross traffic, I turn right and then reverse direction at the lights if I need to head south

ladyslipper 08-02-2008 08:31 PM

Jon's Roast Beef

We stopped at Jon's today for the first time in a long time. We were soooo
impressed with the food and the service. GREAT food and the price was very reasonable. Had a small roast beef with swiss cheese, tomato and bbq sauce. Comes with chips and delicious pickle for $4.95. Very clean, and excellent customer service. We will make it a regular stop!!:)

chow machine 10-13-2008 03:38 AM

best subs in town period

angela4design 10-13-2008 08:14 AM

Thumbs up

I agree totally! I love that you can get value, flavor, service and local support all into one lunch! They're very friendly there, and I call ahead when I'm short on time.

For $5.35 (including tax) I get my sandwich, chips, and pickle included, while others I work with wait in lunch-hour lines to have a sandwich-maker microwave their ingredients and throw it all together. And, it's $5 for a sub there (well, only 8 of their subs, actually).

When I come back for lunch with a Jon's with a "Governor's Island" (Chicken Salad, cranberries, and cucumbers), and they have a flat microwaved sub, the SANDWICH ENVY ensues. I've made a few converts just that way! :laugh:

SIKSUKR 10-13-2008 09:49 AM

Yup,a big thumbs up from a guy who is a roast beef fanatic.

MaidenCove07 07-31-2009 06:19 PM

HUGE FAN of Jon's Roast Beef

3 out of 3 visits this summer have been A # 1 in terms of service, quality and overall satisfaction. What a gem of a place!!!

The staff is always friendly and grateful for our patronage and the service is fast!
I regularly order the Roast beef with whatever I feel like having on it, today it was peppers, tomatoes, onions, cukes and mayo. The beef is nice and rare, just the way I like it and the veggies are obviously fresh. The crunched with each bite...I love that!
Free chips and a pickle make their sandwich deal even better.
My pal had the pastrami sandwich and hasn't stopped raving yet, she's even considering going back for dinner on her way home tonight to try something else. :emb:
4 enthusiastic thumbs up for Jon's Roast Beef, even if I have to battle traffic in and out. Totally worth it!

luvmypups 07-31-2009 07:13 PM

Great sandwich shop

I went for the first time the other day and they had a nice selection of signature sandwiches. I got a pastrami and my sister got a thanksgiving sandwich and we both loved them. We also got a side of coleslaw and it was very fresh, not runny or soupy at all.

Meredith lady 08-01-2009 06:50 AM

I'm sold

I have driven past this place a million times-now I crave pastrami and will be stopping in soon

SteveA 02-20-2010 07:19 AM

Jon's has added Dinners" to go!

1 Attachment(s)
Stopped in last night for a couple of "subs". They were great as usual.

Attachment 3457

They have added Homemade Dinners.

Didn't try them this time, but they sure looked good. Price was very good. Most around $5.99.

I did pick up a big slice of the "Chocolate Heaven" cake. Wow! :D

This place just beats the "chain" sub shops silly.

Support your local businesses.

Pineedles 06-20-2010 02:50 PM

Father's day lunch

Well, its two for two today, as my kids took me to Jon's Roast Beef for lunch and it was fantastic! We all had the Roast Beef special done the "House Way" with BBQ sauce, creamy horseradish, and melted provolone. Delicious! After we were done a man who had a nicely trimmed beard came up and asked us if everything was OK, and of course it was!

The reason we were in that area, is that my kids took me to the Belmont Range and treated me to my first experience with an automatic weapon. We all literally had a BLAST shooting the MP-5 9 mm.

We're doing King Crab lakes for dinner tonight at the cottage and I know that meal will be great too. Happy Father's Day All.:D

DRH 06-20-2010 05:24 PM

Sounds Like Fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 130705)
The reason we were in that area, is that my kids took me to the Belmont Range and treated me to my first experience with an automatic weapon. We all literally had a BLAST shooting the MP-5 9 mm.

Pineedles, sounds like you had an enjoyable Father's Day at Belmont Firearms (after the great lunch!). QL, DBA, Airboat Guy and I continue to go there every week and we really enjoy our target shooting hobby. We've never rented the automatic weapon that you did today, but it sounds like a real "blast"!