Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Dwight Eisenhower in Laconia (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16850)

Lacpicguy 12-01-2013 04:06 AM

Dwight Eisenhower in Laconia

3 Attachment(s)
I had these photos that reminded watching Dwight Eisenhower in his motorcade driving down Main St. in Laconia heading for the Tavern Hotel. I was a kid at he time at thought it was great to see the President of the whole United States.

john60ri 12-01-2013 07:03 PM

Ike

I'm a big fan of Eisenhower. Could you tell me if these photos are from the '52 or '56 campaign, or some other event? Great photos!

Pineedles 12-01-2013 07:33 PM

I like Ike!:)

Lacpicguy 12-02-2013 02:54 AM

I would have to say 56 as at that time I would be old enough to go downtown to watch the parade.

Senter Cove Guy 12-02-2013 03:16 AM

The Car Looks Like A 1951 Lincoln

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by john60ri (Post 215565)
I'm a big fan of Eisenhower. Could you tell me if these photos are from the '52 or '56 campaign, or some other event? Great photos!

Since the car looks like a 1951 Lincoln, my guess would be the 1952 campaign. I'm sure he would have used a newer car for the 1956 campaign.

mcdude 12-02-2013 07:54 AM

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo.../20scanike.jpg
"President Dwight D. Eisenhower at the Laconia Tavern Hotel accompanied by Charles F. Stafford, General Manager, during his visit to Laconia, NH June 23, 1955."

Just Sold 12-02-2013 08:28 AM

The year of the "Presidential Limosine" (note the flags on the front fenders) looks to be a 51 but Eisenhower would not have been riding in it in the 1952 campaign as Truman was still President. Has to be the 1956 campaign.

Oops note the postcard McDude Posted....1955.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy (Post 215572)
Since the car looks like a 1951 Lincoln, my guess would be the 1952 campaign. I'm sure he would have used a newer car for the 1956 campaign.

MeredithMan 12-02-2013 03:11 PM

Ike won the '52 election...sworn in in '53

MM

john60ri 12-02-2013 07:24 PM

Ike

Ike's visit apparently took place a year and a half before the '56 election. I'm wondering what the occasion of the visit was. I don't think they started campaigning that early back in the '50s. Maybe he was vacationing on the lake and playing a few rounds of golf. Also, is that the Laconia Library in the photos?

BroadHopper 12-02-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john60ri (Post 215634)
Ike's visit apparently took place a year and a half before the '56 election. I'm wondering what the occasion of the visit was. I don't think they started campaigning that early back in the '50s. Maybe he was vacationing on the lake and playing a few rounds of golf. Also, is that the Laconia Library in the photos?

You got it! This all took place in Veterans Square. At the time it was a big parking lot for the railroad station.

LongBay 12-02-2013 08:59 PM

Ike in town on June 23rd, 1955

This site has him in Laconia on June 23rd, 1955.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=10270

Some other sites have pics of Ike checking out Old Man of the Mountain the following day.

john60ri 12-03-2013 11:18 AM

Ike

Found this on Wikipedia: "1955 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower visits the profile as part of the Old Man's 150th 'birthday' celebration." Maybe he was persuaded to attend by his Chief of Staff Sherman Adams, who was formerly governor of NH.

Irish mist 03-06-2014 05:34 PM

Thanks for posting these pictures. Ike was an underrated president and a great general.

Alton Bay 03-08-2014 08:01 AM

President Eisenhower was in NH to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the "discovery" of the Old Man. The first day issue of the Old Man stamp was on June 21st, 1955.

PENIVISA 03-08-2014 09:18 PM

Believe the state issued a licence plate in 1959 thanking the president for his help funding the construction of Rt 93

SteveA 03-10-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish mist (Post 220535)
Thanks for posting these pictures. Ike was an underrated president and a great general.

I'm a dedicated hard core lefty and I agree. I saw this list of his top 5accomplishments:

5. He Sponsored and Signed the Civil Rights Bill of 1957.
This was the first civil rights bill since Reconstruction. Much to Eisenhower's dismay, Congress amended the bill and critically weakened its effectiveness.

4. He Sponsored and Signed the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956.

This gave birth to America's interstate highway system. Eisenhower worked hard to get the bill passed and it was his favorite piece of legislation.

3. He Balanced the Budget, Not Just Once, But Three Times.

Despite much pressure to do otherwise, he also refused to cut taxes and raise defense spending. His fiscal policy contributed to the prosperity of the 1950's.

2. He Ended the Korean War.

He alone had the prestige to persuade Americans to accept a negotiated peace and convince the Chinese that failure to reach an agreement would lead to dire consequences. Eisenhower considered this to be his greatest presidential accomplishment.

AND EISENHOWER'S NO.1 ACCOMPLISHMENT AS PRESIDENT:

1. He Kept America at Peace.

Eisenhower was confronted with major Cold War crises every year he was in office: Korea, Vietnam, Formosa, Suez, Hungary, Berlin, and the U-2. While more than once America seemed on the brink of war and those around him clamored to drop the Bomb, Eisenhower always kept a level head. He dealt calmly and rationally with each situation, always finding a solution that avoided war without diminishing America's prestige.

Irish mist 03-10-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 220738)
I'm a dedicated hard core lefty and I agree. I saw this list of his top 5accomplishments:

5. He Sponsored and Signed the Civil Rights Bill of 1957.
This was the first civil rights bill since Reconstruction. Much to Eisenhower's dismay, Congress amended the bill and critically weakened its effectiveness.

4. He Sponsored and Signed the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956.

This gave birth to America's interstate highway system. Eisenhower worked hard to get the bill passed and it was his favorite piece of legislation.

3. He Balanced the Budget, Not Just Once, But Three Times.

Despite much pressure to do otherwise, he also refused to cut taxes and raise defense spending. His fiscal policy contributed to the prosperity of the 1950's.

2. He Ended the Korean War.

He alone had the prestige to persuade Americans to accept a negotiated peace and convince the Chinese that failure to reach an agreement would lead to dire consequences. Eisenhower considered this to be his greatest presidential accomplishment.

AND EISENHOWER'S NO.1 ACCOMPLISHMENT AS PRESIDENT:

1. He Kept America at Peace.

Eisenhower was confronted with major Cold War crises every year he was in office: Korea, Vietnam, Formosa, Suez, Hungary, Berlin, and the U-2. While more than once America seemed on the brink of war and those around him clamored to drop the Bomb, Eisenhower always kept a level head. He dealt calmly and rationally with each situation, always finding a solution that avoided war without diminishing America's prestige.

Ike understood how to use power....and when not to use it.

john60ri 08-01-2014 10:08 AM

Eisenhower

A related post on Eisenhower's visit to Laconia:http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/in...isenhower&st1=