Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Support Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Any netbook users out there? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8316)

Lakesrider 08-11-2009 08:02 PM

Any netbook users out there?

I am thinking of getting one of those netbook thingys....For traveling.
Anyone have one that can recommend? Dell? Acer? HP?

There must be computer savy folk on this forum....

codeman671 08-11-2009 08:13 PM

My company is involved in the service side of these, mainly Acer. They are all ok, but you are getting what you pay for. Not a lot of power and they all tend to have issues. I have two of the Acer 8.9" machines at the house and rarely use them. They are nice if you are in an airport or on a plane, but I typically don't use them daily. I like a full size 17" or 18" machine and would rather lug a full size unit around. I find the lack of an optical drive in the netbooks irritating and there is no real expandability.

Lakepilot 08-11-2009 09:16 PM

I've got the Acer. I bought it to use when traveling on the motorcycle. I usually use a Dell laptop. I quickly gave up on the Acer. Have a hard time conecting to any Wifi with it and it is dog slow. You get what you pay for.

Airwaves 08-11-2009 09:27 PM

My problem with laptops, notebooks etc is the keyboard size! We have several different brands and sizes at work and I was forced to use one of those new smaller ones for a meeting last week.

I suppose if you hunt and peck it's fine but someone like me, that uses both hands to type, the keyboards are WAYYYYYY too small. My hands keep bumping each other and my spelling, which is terrible at best, goes right down the hopper and I spend more time going back and correcting then I do writing!!!

upthesaukee 08-11-2009 09:54 PM

check out this link

For a perspective on netbook vs. notebook/laptop.

http://askbobrankin.com:80/netbook_or_laptop.html

I subscribe to a newsletter by Bob Rankin and Pat Crispen, two educators who don't try to impress you with their knowledge by talking way over your head.

Ask Bob Rankin is an off shoot of that newsletter.

Hope this helps

Bluebell 08-11-2009 09:55 PM

Laptop

We recently decided to get a laptop for the very same reason - travel. We go back and forth from NH to NY about once a month and wanted to stay in touch while on the road. Both of our sons are very knowledgeable in this area and they both recommended a MacBook. The MacBook is a little more $$ than many of the others but we decided to go for it. So glad we did.

EricP 08-11-2009 10:24 PM

It really depends on what you want to accomplish. If you just want to do some email and surfing then a netbook will be fine, if you want to do any real work then a laptop is better. Before you decide what to buy think about what your needs are and buy based on those needs otherwise you won't be happy.

brk-lnt 08-12-2009 05:38 AM

I have an Asus EeePC. Don't use it much at all. I can adapt to the keyboard, but the screen size/resolution is just way too low for my tastes.

Rose 08-12-2009 07:33 AM

We have an Acer connected to our weather station. It's fine for what we use it for.

Kamper 08-12-2009 08:29 AM

I checked out the less expensive ones at "Staples" for a friend. They only had 1GB DDR (processing memory). If you want any kind of speed, you want at lest two.

My Acer Aspire S100-3357 has only 1GB and the operating system meter shows 100% of capability is in use when I open a new page or work in my files. My room-mate has a similiar model with 2GB and hers processes the web at a noticably faster rate. Since I mostly just use mine for a surf-board, this is acceptable but if I needed something for "work" I would upgrade it or buy another machine.

And that's all I think I know about that. Good luck!

Lakesrider 08-12-2009 04:40 PM

Thanks. I understand that if you strip down the Windows XP or the operating system down of all the junkware that Netbooks will run better. Lots of the stuff that comes bundled in with Windows is not needed to surf the net. I only want to check forums, bank accounts, check Credit cards for activity while traveling etc. No CAD work. Oh and I am not designing any Cold Fusion reactors while I travel in the Winniebagle! :laugh::D

Winnicandle 08-12-2009 07:06 PM

I have an ACER, it works fine!

I only use it for skype, quick email, etc while overseas.

Netbooks are NO WAY replacements for a decent laptop. You will go blind using one, be frustrated with the keyboard, and hate the battery life. More than 5-10 mins on a netbook and thats it....

If my trip is any longer than a few days I pack the trusty fullsize Macbook Pro.