Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Meredith roundabout (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13963)

Belmont Resident 05-02-2012 05:24 AM

Meredith roundabout

I was just told last weekend by a local business that the intersection of Rt-3 and 25 in Meredith is also going to be turned into a runabout/rotary.
Has anyone else heard about this or has it old news?

donnamatrix 05-02-2012 01:58 PM

Roundabout = probably coming

This is kind of old "rumor" rather than news ... although I'm fairly sure the rumor will become fact in the next couple of years. Not sure if the state will take property by eminent domain or what. If you look at the intersection, and imagine a roundabout in its place, then at least some of Bootlegger's, Bay Point Inn parking lot and Mill Falls parking lot have to be taken. Additionally, the corner lot that is owned by MVSB and currently emptied of Zacky's Pizza will be impacted. I hear that Aubuchon will be moving to the Meredith Ford location now that the site cleanup has occurred - and once that relocation happens, it's just a matter of time.

Belmont Resident 05-02-2012 05:12 PM

Maybe not

If they eliminate the two lanes coming into the intersection, which will probably be done anyways because you cannot have 2 lanes of traffic coming into a rotary anyways, then there is probably enough room to put it in the existing area.
It should be interesting; along with the long backups on 25 coming from Center Harbor there will probably be long backups down in front of the town docks on a busy weekend.
Kinda makes you wonder where the knuckleheads live who come up with these brain storm ideas.

Jonas Pilot 05-02-2012 05:31 PM

The circle past West Chesterfield on route 9 just over the border in Vermont has two lanes. It seems to work well to me.

Pineedles 05-02-2012 05:38 PM

On busy days, I never go through the Rt. 3 & 25 intersection. I take the "shortcut".:D

Belmont Resident 05-03-2012 04:46 AM

short cut

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 181138)
On busy days, I never go through the Rt. 3 & 25 intersection. I take the "shortcut".:D

Yes there are several shortcuts and with GPS none are a big secret any more. But if you are working off of Meredith Neck Rd or between Meredith and Center Harbor then you’re stuck. And with Meredith replacing the pipes in front of the bank for what the 2nd or 3rd time they have the traffic all backed up during the week.
Last week I drove out to the neck and traffic was backed up to Moultonborough farm all day I was told.

MDoug 05-03-2012 05:39 AM

Shortcut?

Quote:

Is it near Interlakes High School?

dpg 05-03-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

OK a few hundred people are wondering so I'll step up and ask.....What shortcut? I think I know it too just wondering if there's another.

Irrigation Guy 05-03-2012 07:10 AM

Shortcut from Center Harbor = 25B to Left on Route 3(toward Meredith) to Right on Waukeewan Rd(by Golf Course) to Left on Winona Road then right onto 104.

Phantom 05-03-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 181134)
.......because you cannot have 2 lanes of traffic coming into a rotary anyways,......

There are numerous Rotary's in MA with 2 lanes feeding in from all directions. Makes it quite interesting :emb:

Aslo, isn't the Portsmouth Rotary 2 lanes?

The problem is with Rotary's themselves .... I do not understand the logic, we are perhaps the ONLY part of the Country (New England) that actively utilizes this archaic (and dangerous) trafic pattern.

Belmont Resident 05-03-2012 07:25 AM

not short but

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocalRealtor (Post 181164)
Shortcut from Center Harbor = 25B to Left on Route 3(toward Meredith) to Right on Waukeewan Rd(by Golf Course) to Left on Winona Road then right onto 104.

I've found it isn't short but it is less aggravating because it isn’t stop n go. I left CH one evening and when I got to the intersection at 25 and 3 and went through that same camper that was behind me was sitting at the lights. I just got lucky and hit the green light on my way down 25.
I've never needed to take the golf course route as traffic doesn't get bad enough from the docks to the top of the hill to warrant going that far out of my way to get back to Laconia.
But for those heading to the HW it makes good sense.

hilltopper 05-03-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 181152)
And with Meredith replacing the pipes in front of the bank for what the 2nd or 3rd time they have the traffic all backed up during the week.

They had that section dug up at least four times last Summer. They are CONSTANTLY doing work there which is very frustrating for the townies...

Irrigation Guy 05-03-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 181167)
I've found it isn't short but it is less aggravating because it isn’t stop n go. I left CH one evening and when I got to the intersection at 25 and 3 and went through that same camper that was behind me was sitting at the lights. I just got lucky and hit the green light on my way down 25.
I've never needed to take the golf course route as traffic doesn't get bad enough from the docks to the top of the hill to warrant going that far out of my way to get back to Laconia.
But for those heading to the HW it makes good sense.

Always something to ad, thanks for that.........:rolleye2:

The way you went was 3 miles longer but with enough backup is still a winner many times. On Sunday's with all the traffic for those leaving town and headed to the highway the route by the gold course is clearly a winner, albiet a few more miles.

With no traffic it isn't a shortcut.

no-engine 05-03-2012 07:57 AM

Sometimes Rt 25B is an adequate drive around. There are lots others such as Bean Road, Red Hill area to another rd to 25B. Golf course or not.
Choose a better time of day, like Monday morning.

Let's get through the Weirs roundabout before 3/25!

Then encourage school admin to NOT have ILHS (Meredith Center Harbor Sandwich) graduation on Friday night of Bike week at Meadowbrook!!!

SAMIAM 05-03-2012 08:03 AM

Also, if you find yourself stuck behind traffic backed up to the high school.....just whip down Keyser rd (next to Cerrutti's office). That comes out on College rd...go left and then straight through the Meredith lights. Only problem is that part of the road is dirt.

DickR 05-03-2012 08:45 AM

I never understood why anyone with property on the lake would wait until Saturday am to come up or leave late afternoon on Sunday "to beat the traffic." Until our weekending years ended two years ago, we always left MA after supper Friday, breezed up 3 and 93, and sailed smoothly through Meredith, arriving at camp shortly before bedtime. Any time we had to wait until Saturday am to come up, I always felt like I was fighting rush hour traffic on a weekend, half of which seemed over by the time we got here.

Similarly, on Sunday we'd spend the full day here, have supper, perhaps even take a boat ride and enjoy the practically empty lake, before hitting the road at 7:30 to 8pm. The backup at the the lights in Meredith rarely got to more than a few cars by then. I could look at the car clock when we left and know reliably, within a minute or two, when we'd arrive at home.

Newbiesaukee 05-03-2012 09:07 AM

Actually, we have a number of roundabouts in Coral Gables, FL, some of which are 2 lanes or more; New England is not alone. People do as well with these as they do in other areas of Miami as "Miami Traffic Rules" apply. Some of the local rules are: red light means stop unless you think you can get through it. Orange means that 11 cars can go through before the red. Use your horn as a traffic device instead of your brain (although I prefer the horn over the Glock, the other necessity in Miami driving). Courtesy slows traffic. Right of way in a roundabout is determined by who has the bigger....whatever. I could go on and on...maybe coming up to the Lake next few weeks for the summer will ease my South Florida traffic congestion.

Back to the thread...it is my take that roundabouts work well unless there is bumper to bumper traffic.

Phantom 05-03-2012 09:30 AM

Well Newbie .... If you put it THAT way --

I grew up in the City of Boston (training ground for wannabe NYC cabbies) and currently drive a Full Sized Denali

It's just that I try SO HARD to break those habits when I visit NH

p.s. -- You forgot that
(1) "using a signal is a sign of weakness"
(2) NEVER make eye contact with the driver you are cutting off

martbri7 05-03-2012 09:58 AM

The problem with the lights is the two crosswalks going to the bay, as we all know in the State of NH we have to stop by law at every crosswalk to let the people across the street. What Meredith needs is to put crosswalk lights in both crosswalk areas that work with the downtown lights, to let people across as a group rather than each person just walking across the street knowing the driver has to stop. Its going to look like bumper cars with that round about if they don't fix the crosswalk problems.

donnamatrix 05-03-2012 11:06 AM

More traffic gossip

Route 25 in front of Seneca Ladd building will always collapse, as it has in the past. The town of Mereidth digs it up, and monkeys around almost every year, but the problem will never be solved, because MVSB and the other buildings are built on what was once marsh - the end of Meredith Bay. With the work they've done so far on the west-bound side in front of the bank-it has caused "rippling" to the road on the east-bound side in front of Lago. Just a constant mess. AARRGGHH. Anyway, I hear that if/when the roundabout does get done, it will be installed a bit north of where the intersection currently resides. Don't ask me how THAT is going to work. However, keep in mind that the state of NH has few, if any, funds to purchase property from Rusty or anyone else to have this plan move forward in the foreseeable future.

Retired Ole Guy 05-04-2012 09:27 AM

http://www.meredith3-25.com/

If you want to get a idea of the possible future of Meredith traffic plans the
link above is on the Meredith town Website. Sigh:rolleye2: I read all these things because I as my wife says I have no life. On Page 35-39 there are some concepts of traffic roundabouts.

:eek: CAUTION The report is written by members of various TLA(three letter agencies) and can induce sleep within in minutes so don't operate machinery shortly before or after . I used to be a member of a TLA and have helped write several reports like this that could be cure for people with problems going to sleep.

How it helps

no-engine 05-04-2012 11:30 AM

Bay Point inn, part of HHH holdings:

If State takes part of the parking, I might speculate that the number of spaces remaining might be lower than required, making a violation of original site plan! State would need to go before Meredith Planning Board for special exception. All sorts of issues ~~~~

SAMIAM 05-04-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martbri7 (Post 181189)
The problem with the lights is the two crosswalks going to the bay, as we all know in the State of NH we have to stop by law at every crosswalk to let the people across the street. What Meredith needs is to put crosswalk lights in both crosswalk areas that work with the downtown lights, to let people across as a group rather than each person just walking across the street knowing the driver has to stop. Its going to look like bumper cars with that round about if they don't fix the crosswalk problems.

This is the best idea I've heard. I live in Meredith and work in Moultonborough and drive through town 7 days a week from May through October.....I've pretty much seen it all. During some of the busy summer days there is an auxillary officer directing traffic at the two crosswalks. More often than not, they allow large groups to cross just as heavy traffic going west is going through a green light. This totally backs up the whole intersection.
Also, I've noticed over the years that many people are emboldened by the crosswalk laws and stride right out into traffic, almost daring you stop.
A crossing light at the two crosswalks leading to the docks would be a huge help. Good idea martbri7....now, if you can just sell it to the town fathers.

no-engine 05-04-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 181285)
This is the best idea I've heard. I live in Meredith and work in Moultonborough and drive through town 7 days a week from May through October.....I've pretty much seen it all. During some of the busy summer days there is an auxillary officer directing traffic at the two crosswalks. More often than not, they allow large groups to cross just as heavy traffic going west is going through a green light. This totally backs up the whole intersection.
Also, I've noticed over the years that many people are emboldened by the crosswalk laws and stride right out into traffic, almost daring you stop.
A crossing light at the two crosswalks leading to the docks would be a huge help. Good idea martbri7....now, if you can just sell it to the town fathers.

tell State because it's a State road