Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Bahre Estate (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4488)

bigdog 04-20-2007 07:10 AM

The Bahre Estate

Hi Folks…..

Just looking at some pictures posted to the “Winnie Forum”. Ran across some pics of the “Bahre” estate. “GOT ENOUGH" !!!!

Can someone give me the details and history about this property ? Square footage, # Rooms, etc. Anyone know the taxes on this “Mc Mansion” ?

Also would like to know about the family background and history ?

Just curious......

moose tracks 05-13-2007 09:38 AM

Gary Bahre ownes New Hampshire International Speedway in Loudon. He lives in Maine and has the property at the lake. He also ownes another race track in North Carolina (North Wikesboro) along with Bruton Smith of Speedway Motorsports. This track was closed after they brought it. They brought the track just to get the NASCAR Cup racing dates. Smith took one of the dates and transfered it to a new track he built in Texas and Bahre took the other date so he could have two NASCAR dates at his track in Loudon. Out of all the tracks that NASCAR races at I can only think of 4 tracks that are not owed by a large corperation; Loudon, Pocono, Richmond and Indy. The remaining are owed by one of three large corperations; International Speedway Corperation "ISC" (which is NASCAR), Speedway Motorsports (Bruton Smith) and Dover Downs Entertainment. Gary Bahre and the Bahre family will probably sell New Hampshire Speedway in the future to ISC which may transfer one of the Loudon NASCAR Cup racing dates to a new track they want to build in the West. We are talking big bucks! We will have to wait and see.

mcdude 05-13-2007 11:53 AM

Follow the link below to view the appraised values of the Bahre properties:

VISION APPRAISAL ON-LINE DATABASE for ALTON, NH
go to Alton and type in Bahre

Mr. Bahre appears to own six properties....the first being the Hannaford's Supermarket and the last being the waterfront estate. You'll also notice two properties owned by his son. Thanks for the new supermarket and thanks for keeping taxes lower for the rest of us still working on our first million!
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...Estate2004.jpg
Photo by Skipper of the Sea Que from Photopost

fatlazyless 05-13-2007 03:56 PM

If Mitt Romney, who owns a mcMansion at nearby Springfield Point in Wolfeboro, becomes president would his presidency impact the boat and helicopter traffic that's attracted by the Bahre mansion? No way, car racing trumps the prez, big-time......political junkies and race fans......start your engines.....it could get interesting!

I heard that Bob was able to buy the property that had been a boy's summer camp from 1937-1992, Camp Alton, for one million dollars in about 1997. The Camp Alton property was divided up into about six large house lots.

The Town of Alton through a town referendum vote decided it did not want to buy the property and turn it into a town recreation facility or a town park. Ditto, the State of New Hampshire. And, the rest is a local legend.........so, what about Bob?

webmaster 05-13-2007 04:06 PM

From PhotoPost

Gavia immer 05-13-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude
Thanks for the new supermarket and thanks for keeping taxes lower for the rest of us still working on our first million!

What happens to your taxes when the Mansion (NOT a McMansion) gets sold? :rolleye2:

Alton Mumma 05-13-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavia immer
What happens to your taxes when the Mansion (NOT a McMansion) gets sold? :rolleye2:

Ummmm my guess is the guy/or gal that buys it (if that ever happens) will pay the taxes :confused: and we'll have to thank him/her for keeping taxes lower for the rest of us....

MJM 05-14-2007 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless
If Mitt Romney, who owns a mcMansion at nearby Springfield Point in Wolfeboro, becomes president would his presidency impact the boat and helicopter traffic that's attracted by the Bahre mansion? No way, car racing trumps the prez, big-time......political junkies and race fans......start your engines.....it could get interesting!

Mitt's place is not on Springfield Point (although perhaps he used to be over there). It's just East of the entrance to Wolfeboro Bay. I cannot even imagine the road impact if he gets elected, let alone the change to boating....

bigdog 05-14-2007 12:37 PM

The Bahre Estate

Thanks folks for all the information, much appreciated !

I didn't win the "gene pool", so I guess I'll keep playing the Lottery, you never know when lighting will strike.

If I do, I'll have my own "Bahre Estate" ! And the "Queen Mary" parked out front...... :)

Gatto Nero 05-14-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJM
Mitt's place is not on Springfield Point (although perhaps he used to be over there). It's just East of the entrance to Wolfeboro Bay. I cannot even imagine the road impact if he gets elected, let alone the change to boating....

Maybe Bahre will put Mitt up at his place while in the Oval Office so he can use the helipad. It would be much more presidential than his own place, don't you think?

mcdude 05-14-2007 05:14 PM

Did anyone catch the Mitt Romney segment on 60 Minutes last night? There is a short section of the video (about 1/2 way through or so....couldn't bear to watch it over again :fire: ) with footage of the lake house and some filming inside as well.
Here's the link to the VIDEO of ROMNEY and his nice house.
(Isn't it located on Clark Point?)
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo..._Residence.jpg
photopost photo by fpartri497

upthesaukee 05-14-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose tracks
Gary Bahre ownes New Hampshire International Speedway in Loudon. He lives in Maine and has the property at the lake. He also ownes another race track in North Carolina (North Wikesboro) along with Bruton Smith of Speedway Motorsports. This track was closed after they brought it. They brought the track just to get the NASCAR Cup racing dates. Smith took one of the dates and transfered it to a new track he built in Texas and Bahre took the other date so he could have two NASCAR dates at his track in Loudon. Out of all the tracks that NASCAR races at I can only think of 4 tracks that are not owed by a large corperation; Loudon, Pocono, Richmond and Indy. The remaining are owed by one of three large corperations; International Speedway Corperation "ISC" (which is NASCAR), Speedway Motorsports (Bruton Smith) and Dover Downs Entertainment. Gary Bahre and the Bahre family will probably sell New Hampshire Speedway in the future to ISC which may transfer one of the Loudon NASCAR Cup racing dates to a new track they want to build in the West. We are talking big bucks! We will have to wait and see.

Moosetracks...just a point of clairification...It is Bob Bahre, the father, that owns the race track, the property in Maine, the car museum,etc. Gary, the son, does certainly have an interest in all that, and also has property at the Bahre estate.:)

dpg 05-15-2007 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee
Moosetracks...just a point of clairification...It is Bob Bahre, the father, that owns the race track, the property in Maine, the car museum,etc. Gary, the son, does certainly have an interest in all that, and also has property at the Bahre estate.:)

And who do you think will own it ALL some day?:laugh: :laugh:

secondcurve 05-15-2007 06:23 AM

I heard the senior Mr. Bahre doesn't much like his son, that is why he stuck him in the small "cottage" on the property! Maybe he won't inherit the money.

I don't begrudge Mr. Bahare or his property, though I have a couple of thoughts/observations regarding the subject:

1) I still wish it had been turned into a park. Can you imagine how spectacular it would have been? It is too bad he didn't buy the property and establish the Gary Bahre Memorial recreation site for the town. He would have lived forever through the park and he could have bought a more coventional Mansion like Mitt's and still had $30,000,000, give or take, rattling around in his pocket.

2) Have you ever seen Mr. Bahre sitting out on his dock enjoying a cold one? Has anyone ever seen Mr. Bahre on the property, in his boat, etc.?

SIKSUKR 05-15-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve
I heard the senior Mr. Bahre doesn't much like his son, that is why he stuck him in the small "cottage" on the property!

It is too bad he didn't buy the property and establish the Gary Bahre Memorial recreation site for the town. He would have lived forever through the park....

I thought I had heard Gary was very ill last year.
His legacy will probably be maintained through the estate he built.Look at the Castle in the Clouds property or the Kimble Castle for example.

SAMIAM 05-15-2007 08:54 AM

I've seen Gary Bahre quite often at the "Egg Shell" in Loudon,usually at lunch time.He really acts and dresses like a regular,down to earth guy.If I didn't know who he was,I'd guess he was a clerk in a hardware store or a bagger at Shaws.Reminds me of Sam Walton.He's very laid back and friendly.Always bantering with the locals in a fun sort of way.

Steveo 05-15-2007 08:54 AM

A couple of questions:

1. In the photo above there was a rather large structure in the foreground that looked like a stage floor or something built out of, what looks to be plywood sheets. Anyone know what that is. Heliport maybe?

2. A few years back I heard rumors that Bahre had a small racetrack on his property for Formula One go carts. Is that true; didn't see anything in the photos.

3. I drove by Bahre's property this past weekend and saw a new building to the right of the main building. Anyone know what that is?

Thanks

camp guy 05-15-2007 08:55 AM

The Bahre Estate

Mr. Bahre is an extremely nice person, spends time in Wolfeboro shopping and frequenting restaurants, and is an asset to the Lakes Region area (and economy).

MJM 05-15-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveo
A couple of questions:

1. In the photo above there was a rather large structure in the foreground that looked like a stage floor or something built out of, what looks to be plywood sheets. Anyone know what that is. Heliport maybe?

2. A few years back I heard rumors that Bahre had a small racetrack on his property for Formula One go carts. Is that true; didn't see anything in the photos.

3. I drove by Bahre's property this past weekend and saw a new building to the right of the main building. Anyone know what that is?

Thanks

I only know #1....every year at race time they erect a HUGE tent for a party. What is shown in the photo is the assembly of the floor for that tent. As much as the property is well lit all the time, it is REALLY lit up during that weekend!

tis 05-15-2007 05:19 PM

MJM. I believe that is the platform they built when they had a big party. The platform was for the musicians. I think they just tore it apart afterward.

jlrm73 05-15-2007 05:34 PM

#2 and #3

Nope, no go cart racing there! And that new building you see is the "tea room"...don't you have one? :laugh:

mattmike 05-15-2007 06:35 PM

Go to Johnmorrisarchitects.com and look at longview under the portfolio section. It shows the floorplan to the home

moose tracks 05-15-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee

Thanks Upthesaukee!
I realized after I posted that it was the father, Bob who I was referring too. I came home from work tonight and decided to log on to this site to see if anyone catched my mistake. Thank you for keeping the facts straight:blush:

mcdude 05-16-2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmike
Go to Johnmorrisarchitects.com and look at longview under the portfolio section. It shows the floorplan to the home

Here's THE LINK

http://www.johnmorrisarchitects.com/LongviewElev1.jpg

Just Sold 05-16-2007 06:52 AM

Maid Service Please!

If my count is right: 7 bedrooms (includes 2 full suites w/kitchens), 9 full baths, 4 laundry rooms, 6 1/2 baths, 5 kitchens (2 in suites above garages) and 1 elevator. Wow :eek: looks like a rather elaborate B&B to me with all the amenities included. Nightly rate $15,000 ++++

Sure beats the 3700 sq ft w/inlaw apt. I designed last year. And no I am not going to be living in that one either.

fatlazyless 05-16-2007 07:06 AM

Yes, on a clear day one can sit up on top of Clay Point and look all the way down the lake, the 20 miles to Centre Harbor, and see what's the featured freebie courtesy coffee at Heath's super market. Wasn't that Bob's helicopter parked on the super market lawn early yesterday. A helicopter ride for a morning cup of freebie Kona coffee.....just shows he's a true Mainer....must be the long Maine winters that makes them drink so much coffee or something.....ayuh!

moose tracks 05-16-2007 06:16 PM

What must the taxes be?

I pay a good amount of taxes on my 950 square-foot camp on a small lake. I wonder what the taxes are on 35,000 square-foot house on the big lake. Well, I guess if you can afford to build a 35,000 square-foot house you can afford the taxes.

Aquadeziac 05-16-2007 06:28 PM

I believe in a long ago thread it was quoted as saying he paid $383,000 in annual taxes. I believe that was a 2005 figure and doesn't reflect any improvements made since then.

mcdude 05-29-2007 08:43 AM

Nudism allowed on the Romney property?

Doesn't really seem to fit his image

Quoted from the Laconia Citizen;
Quote:

Romney took a lighter tone later in Wolfeboro, where he has a summer home on Lake Winnipesaukee.

"This is the first time I've been here without a bathing suit on," he said.
:D :laugh: :D

Click here FOR COMPLETE ARTICLE

:D :laugh: :)

Weirs guy 05-29-2007 11:01 AM

Thanks Mcd, that image will never, ever, leave my mind.:eek:

SIKSUKR 05-30-2007 11:54 AM

Makes you wonder if that's part of the Morman religion along with the other percieved acceptable behavior.I'm all for nudism as long as I can select the participants!

This'nThat 05-30-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
I believe in a long ago thread it was quoted as saying he paid $383,000 in annual taxes. I believe that was a 2005 figure and doesn't reflect any improvements made since then.

$380,000 -$500,000 in taxes sounds about right. The tax rate in Alton is just shy of $10 (about $9.70), and his estate is worth between $35M - $50M, so you can do the calculations.