Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Water shutoff or not? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20241)

bigdog 02-12-2016 08:54 AM

Water shutoff or not?

When I go away from my property for extended times (1-2 weeks),
can I shut-off the main water-shutoff valve to the entire house, without affecting the oil furnace?

Someone told me , that the furnace may need water replenished from loss over extended periods ? Is this true ?

Thanks,
Bigdog

Slickcraft 02-12-2016 09:46 AM

I asked the service manager at Foley Oil about running the FHW furnace off a small generator during a power outage with the water off. (The small generator does not power the water pump). He said no problem for the typical power outage of a day or two. Now if you are thinking about 2 weeks you might want to talk to the service manager at your oil company. It could very well be OK but I would ask the professional.

Phantom 02-12-2016 11:48 AM

If your power went out for a week or two .... I'd first want to consider (1) where I live (2) getting a new service provider

sorry - couldn't resist on a Friday

Tyler 02-12-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 257022)
If your power went out for a week or two .... I'd first want to consider (1) where I live (2) getting a new service provider

sorry - couldn't resist on a Friday

The OP question was if they shut the power off to their water only would it affect the furnace, not if the power was out for the entire home. Hope this helps clarify. :liplick:

jeffatsquam 02-12-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 257017)
When I go away from my property for extended times (1-2 weeks),
can I shut-off the main water-shutoff valve to the entire house, without affecting the oil furnace?

Someone told me , that the furnace may need water replenished from loss over extended periods ? Is this true ?

Thanks,
Bigdog

I believe what you were told is true. I have seen small pressurized water tanks added to boilers just for this purpose

This would be for forced hot water heating systems. Not forced hot air.

MOXIE 02-12-2016 07:47 PM

Water shut-off or not.

To answer your original question, Yes your boiler may need small amounts of water from time to time. However, if your system is not to old, your boiler has a "low water shut down circuit". If you are on a well, jet pump {shallow well or drawing from the lake} or city water, your pressure is probably between 40psi and 60psi. Your boiler has an emergency blow off valve set at 30psi. The boiler normally has 14psi to run properly. The domestic water supply has a regulator, at the boiler, to maintain 14psi. The regulator has in-line to the boiler a "back-flow preventer" {to prevent boiler water from entering the domestic supply, if the domestic pressure dropped below 14psi}.
If I understand your concern correctly, You are afraid that if the power went out, and the house froze and burst pipes, you would not want the water to come on when the power was restored. In my experience most homes will not freeze for 3 or 4 days.
If your heating system is in good shape, Shutting off the "Water Supply Valve" for a week or two, should not hurt anything.
Peace My Friend, Moxie

camp guy 02-13-2016 07:36 PM

Water shutoff or not?

All these answers are predicated on temperature, and bigdog never mentioned temperature in his post. Possibly, we were to infer the meaning of his question, but the question wasn't about temperature.

The answer to your question is simple, so simple: As your service provider, and couch you question in the fact that IF you do have a problem you will be looking to him to make you (totally) whole.

brk-lnt 02-14-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 257078)
The answer to your question is simple, so simple: As your service provider, and couch you question in the fact that IF you do have a problem you will be looking to him to make you (totally) whole.

This is probably the most useless post in the thread, sorry. Your service provider isn't going to take on any liability just because they answered a simple question for you.

tummyman 02-14-2016 12:14 PM

Hydronic systems do not leak water unless you have failed pipes or a leaking boiler. You would see the mess. IMHO, if you do not see water, then you do not have a meed for makeup. This is not like an old steam system. I keep the heat on all winter...set at 55 degrees. I shut the circuit breaker off for my well pump, just in case there is a problem and the pipes freeze. There have been instances where houses have had a frozen pipe, then it thaws and the place fills with water. Ugly mess. From my opinion, there would be so little makeup needed, you are safe t turn it off. I'm no expert, but this is what makes sense to me. And I have been doing this for 12 years now.

camp guy 02-14-2016 05:34 PM

water shutoff or not?

Okay, brk-Int, when you become a recognized expert on all manner of heating systems, boilers, and pipes, I will pay attention to your response, but, until then, if you want to make an unfavorable remark about my post (or any others), please, keep it to yourself.

Have a nice day, and Happy New Year.

wifi 02-14-2016 06:44 PM

Ok, I too just threw in a post, to keep this thread doing :)

dpg 02-15-2016 07:04 AM

If the home is forced hot air heat you need no water...I'm no expert either just experience with my families NH home that has the main water supply shut off every time we're not there and it's been 30 years now, summer and winters.

brk-lnt 02-15-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 257097)
Okay, brk-Int, when you become a recognized expert on all manner of heating systems, boilers, and pipes, I will pay attention to your response, but, until then, if you want to make an unfavorable remark about my post (or any others), please, keep it to yourself.

Have a nice day, and Happy New Year.

Are you saying/implying that YOU are a recognized expert in HVAC systems?

As for my comments, I'll post whatever I like, regardless of your personal opinion. And if I think someone is giving poor or impractical advice, as was the case for your post, I will absolutely point it out.

camp guy 02-15-2016 11:58 AM

Water shutoff or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 257111)
Are you saying/implying that YOU are a recognized expert in HVAC systems?

As for my comments, I'll post whatever I like, regardless of your personal opinion. And if I think someone is giving poor or impractical advice, as was the case for your post, I will absolutely point it out.

With respect to sentence #1, not in any way at all; and, with respect to sentence #2, I am sure you will.

MOXIE 02-16-2016 10:10 AM

Drama

Bigdog was concerned about a possible water problem. WHY did this thread have to include ANY drama. Lets just help each other out and not let this site turn into Craigslist Rants and Raves.
Peace My Friends, Moxie

SIKSUKR 02-16-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 257092)
Hydronic systems do not leak water unless you have failed pipes or a leaking boiler. You would see the mess. IMHO, if you do not see water, then you do not have a meed for makeup. This is not like an old steam system. I keep the heat on all winter...set at 55 degrees. I shut the circuit breaker off for my well pump, just in case there is a problem and the pipes freeze. There have been instances where houses have had a frozen pipe, then it thaws and the place fills with water. Ugly mess. From my opinion, there would be so little makeup needed, you are safe t turn it off. I'm no expert, but this is what makes sense to me. And I have been doing this for 12 years now.

I thought this addressed the question posed and it would be exactly my answer if the op had make-up water concerns.

wifi 02-16-2016 06:29 PM

Be kind of neat if an OP could close their own thread, when they got their answer, or it got to the point they didn't want to hear any drivel.

dpg 02-17-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 257163)
Be kind of neat if an OP could close their own thread, when they got their answer, or it got to the point they didn't want to hear any drivel.

Good idea actually only problem (?) I could see is someone going on or responding to a "rant" saying their piece then closing down the thread. I dunno to me just kind of takes away from the purpose of a "forum" to begin with. However I do still think it's an interesting idea!