Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Propane Trench Diggers? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16025)

Overlake97 07-01-2013 07:20 AM

Propane Trench Diggers?

I just had a 500 gallon propane tank placed in my back yard and now need to dig about a 100' pipe trench from tank to house, but I've having trouble finding someone to do it. I've spoken to two companies but neither seemed that interested, as if it's too small a job to commit to during the summer (when they apparently have bigger fish to fry?). Any suggestions for someone who'd be happy to do this type of work would be greatly appreciated!

SIKSUKR 07-01-2013 09:50 AM

Maybe rent a trench digger and do it yourself?

SAMIAM 07-01-2013 10:10 AM

Unlike water pipes,propane lines don't need to be very deep.Shouldn't take long if you can rent a ditch witch.

BroadHopper 07-01-2013 11:37 AM

Odd.

Who ever delivered the tank should have done the connection. Any plumber who is a licensed gas installer should be able to help you.

Some towns have rulings against installing 500 lbs tanks in residential areas. In Gilmanton you can't have a 100 lbs tank but you can install two 50 lbs. And they have to be above ground. I would check the local codes.

Winnisquamguy 07-01-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 206927)
Who ever delivered the tank should have done the connection. Any plumber who is a licensed gas installer should be able to help you.

Some towns have rulings against installing 500 lbs tanks in residential areas. In Gilmanton you can't have a 100 lbs tank but you can install two 50 lbs. And they have to be above ground. I would check the local codes.

Just to follow up with what BH is saying all the towns I have worked in the trench needs to be 18" deep and you need to back fill with clean sand.Most people use a mini excavator to do the job.What town are you in?

Overlake97 07-01-2013 02:00 PM

My Answers (in UPPERCASE)

BroadHopper wrote: ODD.."Who ever delivered the tank should have done the connection."

FRED FULLER ALREADY DELIVERED AND SET UP THE 500 GALLON PROPANE TANK, AND THEY WILL DO THE CONNECTION BUT THEY WILL NOT DIG THE TRENCH.

Winnisquamguy asked: "What town are you in?"

GILFORD

Thanks everyone for the quick suggestions and responses. I've looked into renting a trench digger from Taylor rental, but am also concerned I might run into some ledge that would need blasting.

BroadHopper 07-01-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 206940)
Thanks everyone for the quick suggestions and responses. I've looked into renting a trench digger from Taylor rental, but am also concerned I might run into some ledge that would need blasting.

Why don't you dig the trench and if you need to reoute the trench because of a ledge, move the tank! Cheaper and quieter than blasting a ledge!

@thelake 07-01-2013 05:03 PM

I’m doing the same here in M'boro, the work hasn’t started yet. I just met with:

Jerry's Backhoe Service 603-677-2352 Center Harbor

David, Donnelly, Donnelly & Son Excavation in Center Tuftonboro.
569-8006 office, 651 8442 cell

Both great guys, on the north side of the lake.

Worth a call, I’m not digging that ditch by hand :-)

I found their names on this forum, they’re recommended by others here.

songkrai 07-01-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 206927)

Yes. They most/all will do this - for a fee.
I had Amerigas do mine many years ago. Two men with shovels.

The homeowner can dig the trench if capable. Just use the correct pipe - I think it is yellow now. Do check with the gas company.

But if you have a lot of roots/rocks might take some effort. But none has to be in a straight line.

Normally the gas company does all and the hook up.

What is name of gas company that just dropped off a tank and left you stranded?

ishoot308 07-01-2013 06:46 PM

Dig Safe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 206940)
BroadHopper wrote: ODD.."Who ever delivered the tank should have done the connection."

FRED FULLER ALREADY DELIVERED AND SET UP THE 500 GALLON PROPANE TANK, AND THEY WILL DO THE CONNECTION BUT THEY WILL NOT DIG THE TRENCH.

Winnisquamguy asked: "What town are you in?"

GILFORD

Do yourself a favor and call "Dig Safe" before digging this trench yourself. They will come out to your house for free and ensure where you are digging has no utility lines or pipes.

Good luck with your project!

Dan

secondcurve 07-01-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 206910)
Maybe rent a trench digger and do it yourself?

You may need a dump truck to haul away all the rocks and dirt you excavate to make way for the sand. Don't put those rocks back in the hole as they can puncture the gas line. I'd also check to make sure 18 inches is deep enough. I think you will find this will turn into a fairly big job. Good luck!

jmen24 07-01-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 206958)
You may need a dump truck to haul away all the rocks and dirt you excavate to make way for the sand. Don't put those rocks back in the hole as they can puncture the gas line. I'd also check to make sure 18 inches is deep enough. I think you will find this will turn into a fairly big job. Good luck!

18 inches is code for electrical. Gas does not need to be that deep. Seems crazy I know, but I dont make the rules.

If you rent the ditch witch and run into a rock, go around it, gas line is flexible and does not care if it is straight.

A ditch witch makes 100 feet of ditch digging a couple hour job. Let the machine eat and hold on, it will cut through anything in your way (short of rock, but we covered that).

I echo Dan's suggestion of calling Digsafe, better safe than sorry. It is the law!

Blue Thunder 07-02-2013 05:57 AM

Just dial 811 from your phone. It doesn't get any easier....

www.digsafe.com

"It's smart, it's free, it's the Law!"

songkrai 07-02-2013 06:11 AM

Something is missing in the original post.
Where did this tank come from?
Was an application provided to any propane delivery company?
These tanks are not free.
A tad more information from the original poster might be helpful.

fatlazyless 07-02-2013 06:34 AM

Wednesday is half-priced rental day at www.rands.doitbest.com on Main St, Plymouth, and Rands has a big rental dept which has a ditch-witch, a skid-steer, a Toro Dingo and even a smallish-medium tractor with a backhoe..... just back up your pick-up and haul it away.....half-priced Wednesday!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ZSHrRdtOA

upthesaukee 07-02-2013 10:03 AM

You may have missed a post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by songkrai (Post 206984)
Something is missing in the original post.
Where did this tank come from?
Was an application provided to any propane delivery company?
These tanks are not free.
A tad more information from the original poster might be helpful.

Original poster provided additional info in Post #6'. :)