Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Turkey Vulture 4-23-12 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13926)

SteveA 04-23-2012 03:34 PM

Turkey Vulture 4-23-12

1 Attachment(s)
This guy flew right over the top of the car and took up roost on the peak of a nearby garage. Handsome Devil.. who wouldn't fall for that face! :laugh:

Attachment 6066

Just Sold 04-23-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 180535)
This guy flew right over the top of the car and took up roost on the peak of a nearby garage. Handsome Devil.. who wouldn't fall for that face! :laugh:

Attachment 6066

Only a mother could love....:eek:

Belmont Resident 04-24-2012 06:15 AM

Nice picture Steve

But, that is one nasty ass bird and I see them all over the place now.
They have been known to take small dogs and cats so watch out.

SAMIAM 04-24-2012 07:38 AM

I don't think so, BR.......I believe they are carrion eaters and don't hunt or kill anything. We saw a bunch of them chowing on a dead raccoon last year in Pine Island Fla and a bald eagle swooped down to steal the carcass and they all scattered.

NickNH 04-24-2012 12:46 PM

Interesting diet but no small Cats or Dogs:

Quote:

The turkey vulture, contrary to popular belief, does not feed strictly on carrion (though carrion forms the bulk of its calories). This species has been recorded eating a wide variety of food, including wild and domestic carrion, stranded mussels, shrimp, grasshoppers, mayflies washed onto shore, rotten pumpkins, palm fruit, grapes, juniper berries, and feces of coyote and sea lion.

Belmont Resident 04-24-2012 03:36 PM

Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 180568)
I don't think so, BR.......I believe they are carrion eaters and don't hunt or kill anything. We saw a bunch of them chowing on a dead raccoon last year in Pine Island Fla and a bald eagle swooped down to steal the carcass and they all scattered.

But I've been different by some who have witnessed seeing one come down on a small dog. I'd rather be safe then sorry myself. Had a friend who shot one once and seeing it on the ground it was huge.
And yes I know your not suppose to shoot them. :eek:

GTO 04-24-2012 05:41 PM

everywhere

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 180535)

Attachment 6066

We have them around my house in Nashua all the time. Have never seen them before but the past 3 months or so, there have been about 20 that just circle the skies here. When they land in the large pine branches in the yard, their wings make a very loud noise as they flap their way in. The big ones have about a 5 ft wing span. Awesome to see such a large bird but they are so damn ugly

ChocolateGypsy 04-25-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 180600)
But I've been different by some who have witnessed seeing one come down on a small dog. I'd rather be safe then sorry myself. Had a friend who shot one once and seeing it on the ground it was huge.
And yes I know your not suppose to shoot them. :eek:

what if you accidently run over one? (Not sayin that I did... it was a pretty close call, though!)

VitaBene 04-25-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy (Post 180628)
what if you accidently run over one? (Not sayin that I did... it was a pretty close call, though!)

You'll be cleaning feathers out of your radiator for a few hours:)

dpg 04-25-2012 06:25 AM

Saw one hanging around Suissevale many times last summer...

Chickie 05-12-2012 09:14 AM

Learning More About Turkey Vultures

Pity the poor turkey vulture, having to live with the stigma of being deemed “ugly” by humans. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and not considered ugly at all to another turkey vulture - quite to the contrary and beautiful, in fact. Thanks so much for the great photo, SteveA.

Turkey Vultures are much maligned birds that play a beneficial role in keeping the environment clean. I have been watching a live cam of a nesting pair in Missouri who have nested in a barn loft there for the past five years. It is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about these interesting creatures, who are often seen soaring in the Lake Winnipesaukee area. The cam was set up by Raptor Resource, the same organization bringing us the Decorah Eagles from Iowa. They are currently incubating eggs laid over the past few days and I am looking forward to watching their progress as they hatch and mature.

http://www.ustream.tv/missouriturkeyvultures

Lucy Goose 05-21-2012 11:03 PM

I got a fairly nice shot of one yesterday at the marina...

http://brendajacobsphotography.smugm...lture-39-M.jpg

Lucy Goose

Chickie 05-28-2012 12:55 PM

Turkey Vulture 101

Lucy Goose,

Wonderful photo of the soaring turkey vulture. In learning more about them, I read that one of their defenses if disturbed by an intruder is to vomit on them. A bit messy and acidic perhaps but not too dangerous. Just stay out of the line of fire!

Chickie 06-22-2012 12:21 PM

More Turkey Vulture 101

After reading the horror story about the eagle and the cat in the other thread, I find I am liking turkey vultures more every day. They are gentle birds and don't even have the ability to carry their food in their talons. They have to eat their meals on the run - right where the animal took its last breath. They rarely kill anything - only if it is dying and on its last legs. Native Americans called them Peace Eagles.

While eagles are majestic and beautiful, turkey vultures are just plain folks with character!

(Incidentally, the eggs in the live UStream cam have now hatched and the chicks are adorable)