Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Washing machine info (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19606)

iheartloonisland 08-02-2015 01:42 PM

Washing machine info

We are needing to purchase a new washing machine for our island property. The machine will obviously spend the winter in unheated space. Looking for recommendations for brands, features, things to avoid, etc. I have researched winterization techniques, with most recommending using RV antifreeze. Do you have other recommendations?

LSBA Joker 08-02-2015 08:36 PM

winterizing washer machine

On the mainland, but similar situation as our machine is left in an unheated area for the off-season. I actually run non-tox thru my entire water system including enough thru both hot and cold water lines to completely purge intake side as well as the pump and drain trap of water. In the spring, I let the tub fill with a few gallons of water and set the dial to spin/drain. Good to go for all those beach towels!
This for an older Kenmore top loader. Good luck.

ursa minor 08-04-2015 07:40 PM

We're islanders too, very familiar with this. We use a wet / dry vac to pull as much of the residual water out of the pump section and compressed air on the pressure side. Switch the hot / cold temp control a few times while blowing it out to get both the hot and cold sides of the water solenoid valve. Final step is pouring some RV anti freeze down the hoses (flip the temp control a couple more times) and then roughly a half gallon into the tub to dilute any remaining water in the pump. Only takes 5 to 10 minutes. (Not including horsing the shop vac and compressor around...)

Wait, why are we talking about this??? It's still summa!:D

Happy Gourmand 08-05-2015 07:32 AM

I disconnect the supply lines and drain them. Then I disconnect the drain line and empty it in a dishpan. I pour RV antifreeze in the tub till I see it come through the drain line. I leave the supply lines disconnected but put the drain hose back in the drain. Never had a problem when I reconnect the supply lines in the spring and run a short cycle to clear out the antifreeze from the tub and pump.

Orion 08-05-2015 07:59 AM

easy to forget

Don't forget to put RV antifreeze in the washer drain pipe trap. We've been using a Maytag Neptune for 13 years and just drain it per mfr instructions each year. No problem yet. I also add some RV antifreeze to the tub and run it through a fill and drain cycle with hoses disconnected as others have said.

iheartloonisland 08-05-2015 12:56 PM

thanks for replies!

And I do know it is only early August! At least 8 weeks more of this glorious weather which is such a relief from the steamy Southeast.

songkrai 08-06-2015 07:14 PM

Your choices are basically

Whirlpool and all of it's sub brands such as Amana, Maytag and some Sears.

and

General Electric - GE and Hotpoint. And I think GE appliances was sold to Electrolux.

Then the Korean brands, German brands, etc.