Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tankless Electric Water Heater (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28921)

Hubbard 07-07-2023 09:16 PM

Tankless Electric Water Heater

Does anyone have any experience with tankless electric water heaters? We have had a gas one that has been awesome....but we are looking to do away with propane. Our plumber told us something we hadn't thought of...that water out of the ground in NH is COLD and the electric ones just can't heat it fast enough. Any experience or advice would be appreciated!

thinkxingu 07-07-2023 09:41 PM

There are other threads here about this, but the overall consensus is that electric on-demands are not efficient both in terms of performance and in electrical needs. If I recall, decent ones need two 40-amp circuits.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

FlyingScot 07-08-2023 02:31 PM

I have had a gas tankless in the past, and it has been awesome. I am wary of "experts" who assert without data/specs that green technology is not feasible--they are often guys who have been steeped in fossil fuels their entire lives (like all of us!), and it saddens them to see change. That's completely understandable on a personal level, but it's not an expert opinion.

In general, solar, heat pumps, tankless hot water, electric cars, and the like have worked out better than expected. I hope you'll keep us posted, I am also thinking of switching

ITD 07-08-2023 03:35 PM

Like most decisions like this, it's a numbers game. Namely how much does it cost to install, how long will it last and will it work.

You have an excellent source of hot water in your propane heater. The question is, will an electric heater provide the same level of functionality. You need to figure that out. Also I would look into what it will cost to run an electric instant hot water heater, I suspect it will be much more expensive to run.

This is a link to amazon that came from Bob Vila's website. Just for a sanity check, a standard shower nowadays flowrate is 2.5 gpm. You obviously mix cold water with the hot water to get the temperature you desire, but probably at least half is hot water. I suspect you would want one capable of supplying at least the same flow as your propane unit.

The description in on this unit gives some things to think about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZ33DKP...+++++++++&th=1

songkrai 07-08-2023 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubbard (Post 385166)
Does anyone have any experience with tankless electric water heaters? We have had a gas one that has been awesome....but we are looking to do away with propane.

Looked at electric instantaneous water heaters when constructing house.
The cost.
The wiring needed.
The lack of getting repairs if needed.

If electric. Get a tank.
If propane - get one.

The Real BigGuy 07-08-2023 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 385185)
I have had a gas tankless in the past, and it has been awesome. I am wary of "experts" who assert without data/specs that green technology is not feasible--they are often guys who have been steeped in fossil fuels their entire lives (like all of us!), and it saddens them to see change. That's completely understandable on a personal level, but it's not an expert opinion.

In general, solar, heat pumps, tankless hot water, electric cars, and the like have worked out better than expected. I hope you'll keep us posted, I am also thinking of switching

I checked on tankless electric for my house just north of Boston. Even the manufacturers don’t recommend it for New England because, as was said before, the groundwater is too cold for it to be economical.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

John Mercier 07-08-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 385185)

You can look up the specifications for each manufacturer.
And beside a tankless, the hybrid - which would be ''green technology'' - seems to be easier to work based on the power input needs for most homes.

swnoel 07-10-2023 01:47 PM

Just bought one of these for my new home... we'll see how it works.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith/5...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hubbard 11-12-2023 12:16 PM

Would be really interested to hear how you like this! Saw the incentive program for this in the NHEC invoice this month. Hope it works out! Thanks again.

winnipiseogee 11-12-2023 07:00 PM

I put one in our cottage 8 years ago and its worked great. No problems whatsoever. To be fair, we only have one bathroom so limited hot water demand. I wanted a zoning variance and by getting rid of the propane tank I was able to get space for a washer/dryer. I was hesitant to do it but it worked fine. It did cost me about $800 to upgrade the electrical as needed.

sky's 11-13-2023 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swnoel (Post 385275)
Just bought one of these for my new home... we'll see how it works.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith/5...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

i have one in our new house and our electric bills havent gone over 247 a month with central air running. last month it was 190.00 excellent item

Biggd 11-13-2023 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnipiseogee (Post 389121)
I put one in our cottage 8 years ago and its worked great. No problems whatsoever. To be fair, we only have one bathroom so limited hot water demand. I wanted a zoning variance and by getting rid of the propane tank I was able to get space for a washer/dryer. I was hesitant to do it but it worked fine. It did cost me about $800 to upgrade the electrical as needed.

I've been looking into them also, but I have a crawl space, only about 4' high. I haven't been able to find a shorty. They all seem to have the heating unit on top which makes them even taller than just a regular tank.