Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Support Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Post Thank You's (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6662)

webmaster 08-24-2008 11:45 AM

Post Thank You's

I've enable a new feature on a few forums that allows you to easily "Thank" the poster for helpful or interesting information. For now I'm trying it on the Restaurant, Maintenance and WebCAM Forums. I may expand it to all forums after I see how it is working in those areas.

A new "Thanks" button has been added under each message. When you click on it, it places your username in a box right under the post saying that you say 'thanks' for the post. Everyone who clicks is placed in one box under the post.

To prevent someone from thanking everyone instead of just particularly helpful or interesting posts I have set a limit of 5 thank you's a day.

Your feedback is welcome.

Skip 08-24-2008 11:49 AM

Thankyou!

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 79866)
...Your feedback is welcome...

Well, I guess "thanks" is in order for our esteemed webmaster! :)

Seriously, cool new feature Don...

webmaster 08-24-2008 12:27 PM

Post Groans

There is also a feature available to put a "Groan" button with the "Thanks" button on each post. This would be the opposite of a Thanks, indicating that you did not find the post helpful or interesting.

I can think of reasons why this is a good idea and some reasons why it is not. Since the number of Thanks and Groans you receive appears in your summary it becomes a reader grading system and encourages good behavior. My concerns are that putting a "Groan" button on every post encourages negativity and makes posting a little less friendly. I think many people might like to post without Groans looming just a click away.

Like with the "Thanks" button, I could limit the number of groans a day so they would have to used selectively.

I'm not sure about this one and I'm interested in your feedback.

GWC... 08-24-2008 01:16 PM

Since this is the season of the Olympic Games, I'll be bringing home the gold in the groan arena. :D

Pineedles 08-24-2008 05:53 PM

This is Fun!

It saves time for thanking somone who has anwered your question and it lets you build up points on a member's "scoresheet" so that people know that they are a reliable source of information. I've got 2 more left for today, let's see if I can ask a question that will take an innordinate amount of research to answer.;)

jeffk 08-25-2008 10:56 AM

Way cool

Don,

This is very nice and easy to do.

Per groans, since you have indicated you want to improve the tone of the forum I would leave them in the closet for now. Accent the positive.

Thanks!:D

Pineedles 08-25-2008 12:55 PM

What happened

Don,

I used my 5 alotted TYs yesterday and now I can't see the stats or the button for TYs. ??? I am looking on the Restaurant and Home Improvement threads.

Mee-n-Mac 08-25-2008 05:33 PM

Like an apple, one a day

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 79869)
Like with the "Thanks" button, I could limit the number of groans a day so they would have to used selectively.

I'm not sure about this one and I'm interested in your feedback.

Even before I had finished reading your post I came to the same answer, limit the groans. If the "Thanks" are limited to 5/day, limit the "Groans" to 1/day.

Also do I understand correctly that a poster gets ranked via a "Thanks" and/or "Groan" count received ? Is there anyway to count the "Thanks" and "Groans" handed out by a posters ? Perpetual complainers will get a reputation as such this way.

webmaster 08-25-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

...do I understand correctly that a poster gets ranked via a "Thanks" and/or "Groan" count received ? Is there anyway to count the "Thanks" and "Groans" handed out by a posters ? Perpetual complainers will get a reputation as such this way.
The Thanks Yous/Groans received would be the most relevant info but there is no actual ranking system. The number of Thanks Yous and Groans given to your posts would be visible under your name and the readers could interpret the results themselves.

The forum software does have a nice reputation system built-in but, like with the Groans, I have always thought it might set too judgemental a tone for our mostly friendly forum.

The number of Thank Yous, given and received, are available in each user's profile under statistics. I also have the option of displaying them under your name in each post. I turned that on for testing but it seemed like it just cluttered up the display. Maybe after a lot of Thank Yous have been posted that field would have more meaning.

The Thank You feature is brand new here and I'm trying it out along with several other plug-ins. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the comments.

SIKSUKR 08-26-2008 09:57 AM

Thumbs up from me.I found that I have used that feature a few times already instead of a post.I vote against the groans.I've also noticed the new Ads in each thread.Not overwhelming and I hope the extra money help you maintain this site.

chipj29 08-26-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 80062)
Thumbs up from me.I found that I have used that feature a few times already instead of a post.I vote against the groans.I've also noticed the new Ads in each thread.Not overwhelming and I hope the extra money help you maintain this site.

Agree on all points. Thanks Don!
I would have done a "Thank you" but it was not available on this topic. ;)

GWC... 09-25-2008 11:16 AM

Wow...

Viewership has escalated, a bit... :D

Quote:

The Following
4,294,967,295 Users
Say Thank You to
SteveA For This Useful
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...2042#post82042

P.S.- Scroll a few posts to see the above quote.

webmaster 09-25-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWC... (Post 82049)
Viewership has escalated, a bit.

I just forced a recount and that erroneous count has disappeared.

Pineedles 09-25-2008 01:35 PM

His holiness, SteveA

The Following
4,294,967,295 Users
Say Thank You to
SteveA For This Useful
Yeah, he's already got a big head. That count would elevate him to Pope!:laugh::laugh: