Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   History of the Woodshed Restaurant (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13769)

rgilfert 03-24-2012 01:40 PM

History of the Woodshed Restaurant

I'm a new member of ths forum [as in I joined today] and it has already been a source of information answering a question of mine. Perhaps someone can provide an answer to another question that I've had for years. In 1976 my wife and I went to The Woodshed Restaurant in Moutonboro while on our honeymoon and fell inlove with the place. It has become one of our most sentimental visiting spots in the Lakes Region. We [i.e. my wife] even got Henry Fonda's autograph there while he was filming On Golden Pond. Anyway, we've never understood why the menu says that the restaurant started in business in 1978 when we know that we ate there [under the Woodshed name] in 1976. On several occassions while visiting there I've asked people working there why the menu mis-claims 1978 as the starting date...and no one has ever been able to answer the question. Anyone have any info?

mowtorman 03-24-2012 07:47 PM

woodshed

I worked there as a dishwasher in 1975-1976. It was run by Mr. Towers, a well respected restaurateur in the area who later ran smaller drive-ins including the one at the end of Meredith Bay near the cinema. He turned the Woodshed over to his son and the business faltered at one point, maybe they claim the opening at a point when it went over to new owners. When I was there I would bring out 100 lb. uncut racks of bone in prime rib that was roasted outside by ER Nadeau over a wood fire, very hot job on a summer day. The sides of beef were then stored in the walk in and cut individually as ordered, placed for a short time under the grill then covered with au jus and served. The au jus came from a stock pot of every type of unused food (including egg shells) that simmered forever in a large pot with a spigot at the bottom. Unique dining at the time and some nights the place was rocking. Big competition at the time was The Country Fare restaurant at the corner of 25 and 109. Good food, good time, hardest job I ever had, made $2 per hour and what I made carried me for spending money until the next summer.

ghfromaltonbay 03-24-2012 08:02 PM

1976 memories

I also went to dinner at the Woodshed in 1976 which was the first year I was going with a guy who stayed in Tamworth during the summer. I distinctly remember having the prime rib. It was called The Woodshed that year.

rgilfert 03-25-2012 07:22 AM

Thanks for your replies!

In 1976 we were staying across the cove from Wawbeek in Melvin Village and I have pretty vivid memories of making the long ride home from the Woodshed after having consumed a couple of their "Swizzler" sized Manhattans! Thanks again!

no-engine 03-31-2012 07:50 AM

A couple named Seley then owned it for a long time. They split and Lyn Seley owned and managed it for another long time, till selling several years ago. I do not know names of current owners.