Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Novice Islander (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14056)

rgilfert 05-21-2012 06:03 AM

A Novice Islander

Last Friday evening I spent out on Rattlesnake with my daughter and her family having a great time in the beautiful weather. My wife wasn't with us because she was involved in a "girls night out" at home in Bedford. Then on Saturday evening we had a joint social commitment that I needed to return home to join her for. As you all know Saturday was absolutely beautiful on the lake as well.... so my perfectly conceived plan was to stay on the island as long as possible, delaying my departure in order to have a "just in time" arrival back in Bedford. I procrastinated in making my departure and only left a 15 minute margin for making the 75 minute drive. Around 5:00 PM I loaded up the boat and headed out for the West Alton Marina. Everything was going according to plan and was progressing exactly according to the anticipated time line. I slid into our slip at WAM by about 5:15 and immediately launched into my post-docking ritual of "putting the boat to bed" which includes the boring (& time consuming) task of putting the boat covers back on. By 5:30 I was just a couple of minutes behind schedule....and was thankful that I had built 15 minutes of margin into the plan. I tossed my trash into the dumpster and headed for my car feeling good that I had maximized my enjoyment at the lake that day and was going arrive back in Bedford in time to avoid troubles on the home-front! As I frantically searched through the multitude of pockets in my "cargo" shorts I realized that I had left my car keys out on the island. Making a long story short.....I ultimately arrived back at home to a very icy reception! This was just another indication that I have a lot to learn about island living (but that is a very happy problem to have)!

tis 05-21-2012 06:18 AM

Fun story. :laugh: I am sure you didn't think it was funny at the time, but like most things, it is funny after.

2 Islands 05-21-2012 07:19 AM

There is a boat a Shep's in Meredith named "Got Keys"!

lakershaker 05-21-2012 07:56 AM

Keys

Having done that before myself, I now always keep my car keys and all guests' keys in the boat!

Webbsatwinni 05-21-2012 09:04 AM

And the other way we have been impacted is after taking the drive from home to the marina, loading the boat, and people, we realize that in the excitement we (or better said "I") forgot the boat keys.

I have a mental checklist that I go through when packing at home and when leaving the island. I also have a key bag that all keys go in, house, boat, cars, etc. This makes it easier to me to have a routine. Everyone laughs at me when I run through the list mumbling to myself, for the kids, it has become a sign that we are ready to leave :).

IslandRadio 05-21-2012 09:17 AM

Oh Boy! That sort of thing is never fun. Have done this with many items - bags of important stuff, cell phones, etc.

We did solve the keys problem to a greater extent. The car key and the Island key are on the same ring. And there is an island key on every car key ring we own. So, if you are able to drive the car to the lake, you must have an island key with you! The boat key problem has long been solved by using a key hiding device - and therefore leaving the keys in the boat all the time.

I suppose in your case, make another car key and put it with every set of boat keys - then you can't possibly forget :) At least for me, I must use a foolproof system like that which does not rely on "remembering". Because if it relies on remembering a detail, it will surely be forgotten :D (at least around here!).

AC2717 05-21-2012 09:29 AM

when I used t live 2.5 hours away i was doing work on the cottage and got all the way up there. i had a nice toolbox to store the tools. left the key at home. I went to the store bought a crow bar and broke the lock

Problem solved:D
but it did stink that i ruined it,

Also had to brake a windo to get into the cottage because I left the keys at home now I do this:

Cottage key on every key ring I own, and a hide a key outside for the cottage. Also bough double chargers for the cell phones to have one at house and cottage, anything that might have to travel to each location, i buy two of eventually one for each, in some cases i ended up buying three

IslandRadio 05-21-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 182270)

Cottage key on every key ring I own, and a hide a key outside for the cottage. Also bough double chargers for the cell phones to have one at house and cottage, anything that might have to travel to each location, i buy two of eventually one for each, in some cases i ended up buying three

Ah yes!! So true!!! And yes, hiding a cottage key is a MUST! There are numerous good reasons why a key should be available to others, or yourself if somehow you end up without your key (like when a neighbor brings you over to the island on his boat and - oops - no keys!!!!).

Duplicate tools, cell chargers, computers, etc. just make island living so much nicer than it already is (and that's pretty nice!).

NoBozo 05-21-2012 09:56 AM

Having an Extra car key these days can be VERY expensive. I lost my key for the '07 Toyota truck while cutting brush out in the back. No problem: Just go to the Toyota dealer and they will replace the Key & Fob for $250.

Todays car Keys AND Key Fobs are uniquely "Programmed" for your car. :( NB

Flylady 05-21-2012 10:06 AM

It could happen!

Since I fly from CA have the cottage key is a must. I go through my check list several times the night before I leave. To be sure to cover my bases I have left a key with my NH neighbor So this trip I have the keys and all and got to the airport to discover I left my phone at my house. Waiting for FedEx to deliver it today, however that was a $100 mistake!:eek:

Slickcraft 05-21-2012 11:30 AM

We have been islanders for many years so we have spare/hidden keys and both written checklists and verbal pre-boarding checklists.

So now we are down to maybe only two trips a year running back to get the forgotten item(s). Part of island living.:D

jrc 05-21-2012 12:17 PM

Not an islander, but still make the same mistakes. Some helpful hints:

Combination locks whenever possible. We lock our lake keys in a box with a combination lock at the lake.

Also CVS and Hannaford, will sell you a couple of any common perscription drug if you already have your prescriptions through them, even if from different town. Even still I bring an extra two day supply up every spring.

I have all my old prescription eyeglasses spread around the house, car, boat.

Car charger for phone works in the boat.

Lots of copies is good for redundancy but those boat cabin keys are hard to find. And as NB says car spares are crazy.

Buy two of everything cheap, it easier than worrying.

BroadHopper 05-21-2012 12:28 PM

Experienced Skippers

Now you know why experienced skippers have their car keys on the boat's key chain and the boat keys on the car key chain! :D

tis 05-21-2012 01:18 PM

You could also have your island property keyed alike to your home property. One set of keys…..

Bear Island South 05-21-2012 02:40 PM

A must read

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...693#post180693

You need to read this thread, I even mentioned it in my post (see #52).

Remember the car keys and cell phone when you leave the island (especially in a heavy fog)

Pricestavern 05-21-2012 04:30 PM

Been there, Forgot that

I had a chronic problem forgetting the car keys. Finally solved it by always leaving the keys on the boat, not bringing them in to the cabin. As a precaution, I keep a spare on my boat keys, which i always leave in the truck when on shore. Driving 8 hours from Long Island and forgetting the boat keys is not something I want to experience.

Rattlesnake Guy 05-21-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 182288)
You could also have your island property keyed alike to your home property. One set of keys…..

We do the same. I even re keyed my office door at work to my house key.

We keep the boat keys in the truck. We keep a spare set on the boat in a secret place as not using the boat is not an option. Also, we don't always know which member of our family will be the first to arrive.

Belmont Resident 05-22-2012 04:41 AM

Good point

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 182288)

I was all set to post just what you said then thought to read through.
First thing we did when we got our camp was to change all the locks and have them keyed to our house.
We also have a spare key attached to the out side of our vehicles.
Of course with the new electronic gizmo's like on my wifes Rave4 you can't do that.

NH_boater 05-22-2012 05:32 AM

Key lock box

I have one of these at the lake house, very secure. Works so well I put one at the other house too. Nice as well if you have to remotely let in a contractor or give access to someone. I never need to worry about forgetting the house key. Perhaps I should mount one in the boat too for the boat keys, altough it would make the keys sink like a rock.....

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Keysa.../dp/B000VL4TSW

Flyfisha 05-22-2012 05:41 AM

Anyone leaving the island for home used to answer three questions: Cell phone? Wallet? Keys? Now we have added two more: Dogs??? Kids??:liplick:

tis 05-22-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 182336)
I was all set to post just what you said then thought to read through.
First thing we did when we got our camp was to change all the locks and have them keyed to our house.
We also have a spare key attached to the out side of our vehicles.
Of course with the new electronic gizmo's like on my wifes Rave4 you can't do that.

Right, much easier. Why have all those keys?????

SIKSUKR 05-22-2012 07:11 AM

All 1 or 2 of those keys?:eek:

Island Girl 05-22-2012 09:29 PM

Aubuchon

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 182272)
Having an Extra car key these days can be VERY expensive. I lost my key for the '07 Toyota truck while cutting brush out in the back. No problem: Just go to the Toyota dealer and they will replace the Key & Fob for $250.

Todays car Keys AND Key Fobs are uniquely "Programmed" for your car. :( NB

Some Aubuchon Hardware Stores can replicate the Toyota key for about $80. You can buy the fob online much cheaper and program yourself or call a lockksmith. Much cheaper than Toyota.

IG

codeman671 05-23-2012 03:15 AM

We don't carry an island key. I use an electronic coded push botton deadbolt. I also have a master lock key locker code box with a manual key there as well.

I have certainly left without my car keys, cell or wallet though. I carry a "boat bag" that I put all of the crucials in. It's easier to remember than keeping track of the small stuff. My truck has push button door locks as well so I can keep spares in the truck if needed and access with a code.

The worst incident I ever had was last fall, low fuel in the boat, high winds, no gas stations close by to fill, and my wallet and keys at the island. Some last ride of the season...

BroadHopper 05-23-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Girl (Post 182415)
Some Aubuchon Hardware Stores can replicate the Toyota key for about $80. You can buy the fob online much cheaper and program yourself or call a lockksmith. Much cheaper than Toyota.

IG

Dependable Locksmith in Nashua sold and programmed a key and remote for my Jeep for $120.
I know you can buy key & remote cheaper on line, but instructions are for programming cars built before 2000.

Webbsatwinni 05-23-2012 07:14 AM

I have a way to resolve, we should all just stay on the islands!

jrc 05-23-2012 10:23 AM

Won't you will run out of beer eventually?

AC2717 05-23-2012 10:32 AM

if you folks would do that, I would, and have considered starting a beer, wine, liquor delivery service along with convienence store items

Webbsatwinni 05-23-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 182446)
Won't you will run out of beer eventually?

That is what visitors are for! :D

Slickcraft 05-24-2012 06:40 AM

Just this morning

This morning on the way in to Fay's from Welch we saw a regular island resident commuter race back to the island to presumably get a forgotten item :D

ishoot308 05-24-2012 08:04 AM

Nice Try!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 182501)
This morning on the way in to Fay's from Welch we saw a regular island resident commuter race back to the island to presumably get a forgotten item :D

LOL!! Thought you had me huh! Not quite, at least not this time! Picked my sister in law up at the docks and brought her to the camp as she is doing some work for my wife. :)

I have in the past forgotten my lap top, car keys and other misc items. Nothing yet this year however...at least not yet!:)

Looks to be a great weekend!

Dan

Slickcraft 05-24-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 182510)
LOL!! Thought you had me huh! Not quite, at least not this time! Picked my sister in law up at the docks and brought her to the camp as she is doing some work for my wife. :)

I have in the past forgotten my lap top, car keys and other misc items. Nothing yet this year however...at least not yet!:)

Looks to be a great weekend!

Dan

Yes, we thought that we had you. Enjoy the weekend.
Slick