Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fire on Long Island!! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20806)

WelcomeToBearadise 06-24-2016 08:52 PM

Fire on Long Island!!

1 Attachment(s)
View of fire on Long Island from East Bear....Looks close to Jonathons Landing, does anybody have any information? Picture from approximately 1/2 hour ago....

samosetguy 06-24-2016 09:08 PM

Captain's Walk

On twitter, it was reported to be a house fire at Captain's Walk. I'm not certain if that's true just sharing what was reported. It could be seen across the broads from Gilford.

Triboro 06-24-2016 09:12 PM

Captain's Walk

I heard it was Captain's Walk too and they are using fireboats.

CeilingToFloor 06-24-2016 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The fire is/was at a house on Captain's Walk. We are working a few houses down and heard the sirens and smoke over the lake. You could see the glow through the woods. Looked like there were 5 or 6 firetrucks. It was a big one.

MAXUM 06-24-2016 10:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It looked HUGE from the water...

From what the news said nobody was injured Thank GOD for that. It was quite impressive before the fire boats got there and started to really knock it down.

The house was completely engulfed in flames when we got over there, seemed like some trees also were involved but hard to tell the MP was obviously keeping spectators always and there were quite a few boats checking the situation out.

ApS 06-25-2016 02:07 AM

"Forest Fire Danger" was Low, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 264167)
It looked HUGE from the water... From what the news said nobody was injured Thank GOD for that. It was quite impressive before the fire boats got there and started to really knock it down. The house was completely engulfed in flames when we got over there, seemed like some trees also were involved but hard to tell the MP was obviously keeping spectators always and there were quite a few boats checking the situation out.

Fortunately, wind was a weak factor in the intensity of the fire. Days of 30-MPH winds such as we'd seen from June 10th, could have made the situation calamitous for all of Long Island. :eek:

Sunbeam lodge 06-25-2016 06:49 AM

Long island fire

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 264170)
Fortunately, wind was a weak factor in the intensity of the fire. Days of 30-MPH winds such as we'd seen from June 10th, could have made the situation calamitous for all of Long Island. :eek:

F
Fire the day after at captains walk

Sunbeam lodge 06-25-2016 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 264170)

I added another photo

tis 06-25-2016 07:02 AM

What a shame!!

Winnisquamer 06-25-2016 07:15 AM

Sucks, that's a nice looking house too..

fatlazyless 06-25-2016 07:17 AM

http://www.unionleader.com/Fire-boat...gh-island-fire

includes a 2:38 video shot by a firefighter from the Gilford fire boat. Looks like the camera was positioned behind the water cannon as water is streamed out over the bow and into the fire.

Is this the 40-year old Gilford fire boat, the Snuffer, that needs to be replaced? Supposedly, it goes out to seven or eight calls per year.

"Goodhue said that the new boat will be infinitely better for assisting the fire department for fires along the water, where Snuffer could never get close enough or could pump enough water to be truly useful." May 11, 2016: Laconia Daily Sun; 'Gilford Votes to Accept New Boat from Portsmouth.'

So's what do I know ..... not much! ...... seems like the 40-year old "Snuffer" is still getting it done? Like, why spend a couple hundred thousand dollars, or something, of Gilford property tax payer money on a new Super Snuffer, when the 40-year old Snuffer is still able to show up on the other side of the lake in Moultonborough and help put out the fire?

rsmlp 06-25-2016 08:08 AM

A tragedy but THAT is why we have homeowners insurance. No one hurt and they can rebuild. I am most certainly not trying to diminish this but buildings can be replaced, lives can't. I'm sure the homeowners feel the same.

Sue Doe-Nym 06-25-2016 11:09 AM

Union Leader article says #18 Captains Walk but the tax map and pictures indicate it's #22, especially due to the angle of the breakwater. Owner of #22 shown as Rev. Trust I/N/O Sharon Sanford, previously titled in name of Robert and Sharon. Address shown as Southborough, MA.

No reports of their being at property at time of fire, fortunately.

CeilingToFloor 06-25-2016 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Union Leader is correct. It was #18, you can see the number in this photo. My husband ran to a fireman who asked him to help him get his gear on.

Winnisquamer 06-25-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 264179)
http://www.unionleader.com/Fire-boat...gh-island-fire

includes a 2:38 video shot by a firefighter from the Gilford fire boat. Looks like the camera was positioned behind the water cannon as water is streamed out over the bow and into the fire.

Is this the 40-year old Gilford fire boat, the Snuffer, that needs to be replaced? Supposedly, it goes out to seven or eight calls per year.

"Goodhue said that the new boat will be infinitely better for assisting the fire department for fires along the water, where Snuffer could never get close enough or could pump enough water to be truly useful." May 11, 2016: Laconia Daily Sun; 'Gilford Votes to Accept New Boat from Portsmouth.'

So's what do I know ..... not much! ...... seems like the 40-year old "Snuffer" is still getting it done? Like, why spend a couple hundred thousand dollars, or something, of Gilford property tax payer money on a new Super Snuffer, when the 40-year old Snuffer is still able to show up on the other side of the lake in Moultonborough and help put out the fire?

Possibly because after 40 years of probably sub par maintenance one day they'll show up to your half burnt down house that your family just hopefully safely crawled out of and say, "well wtf the pump won't work, wish we had that new fire boat. Hope you have insurance sir/ma'am."

Double edged sword buying or not buying that boat. They buy it they were overspending according to the tax payers, they didn't buy it and someone dies because the old one can't fight the fire and you'd have a different story in the news no?

Slickcraft 06-25-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnisquamer (Post 264192)
Possibly because after 40 years of probably sub par maintenance one day they'll show up to your half burnt down house that your family just hopefully safely crawled out of and say, "well wtf the pump won't work, wish we had that new fire boat. Hope you have insurance sir/ma'am."

Double edged sword buying or not buying that boat. They buy it they were overspending according to the tax payers, they didn't buy it and someone dies because the old one can't fight the fire and you'd have a different story in the news no?

The boat that Gilford was to get would have been free from city of Portsmouth. Then Portsmouth decided to give it to another town.

Sue Doe-Nym 06-25-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeilingToFloor (Post 264191)
The Union Leader is correct. It was #18, you can see the number in this photo. My husband ran to a fireman who asked him to help him get his gear on.

Thanks for correction.

Fargo 06-25-2016 06:47 PM

Considering how black the smoke was and how fast the fire spread, does anyone know if the home was insulated with spray foam insulation. Hope no one was hurt, sorry for their loss.

songkrai 06-25-2016 07:36 PM

Who/what company was the builder?

Winnisquamer 06-25-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 264193)
The boat that Gilford was to get would have been free from city of Portsmouth. Then Portsmouth decided to give it to another town.

Free? Even better, the town would be stupid not to take it for free. Sucks it didn't work out.

Just Sold 06-25-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnisquamer (Post 264199)
Free? Even better, the town would be stupid not to take it for free. Sucks it didn't work out.

Portsmouth decided that it was required to give the boat to New Castle based on the requirements of the federal funding that paid for the origianal purchase. It was also a political decision that overrode the Portsmouth Fire Departments recomendation to give it to Gilford. I have been told by a very reliable source that the Fire Boat was a jet drive which is a poor choice for use on the ocean due to the hull design. It would have been perfect for the lake though.

MAXUM 06-25-2016 10:16 PM

From our vantage point on Bear Island we figured it was on 6 mile Island then as we headed out in the boat to take a closer look it was clear where it was which is even more scary considering how large it was. It's sad to see a beautiful home such as this one was get destroyed by fire, but as already pointed out, it can be replaced, lives cannot. Thank GOD nobody was injured or killed.

It was pretty amazing to watch the fire boats doing their thing, the fire departments should be commended for doing a bang up job at keeping this contained and successfully getting this fire out without any further damange to adjacent properites. These guys train and prepare for just this sort of thing and deserve our thanks for doing what they do. This could have been a lot worse! Pictures do not to justice to just how large a fire this was, pretty damn scary.

VitaBene 06-25-2016 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songkrai (Post 264198)
Who/what company was the builder?

I know who built it,but it was built 12 years ago.

Phantom 06-27-2016 06:37 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nJrcMwTl2kI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/nJrcMwTl2kI

Incredible Video !!

songkrai 07-17-2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 264210)
I know who built it,but it was built 12 years ago.

From the street I hear that the insurance company is interviewing the general contractor and all of the sub contractors.

Not sure if the fire marshal's office has reached a determination of cause.