Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "No Wake" zone near Governors Island Bridge (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15939)

pjard 06-16-2013 08:02 PM

"No Wake" zone near Governors Island Bridge

I could have sworn both sides of the bridge going to Governors Island had a no wake zone on both sides. This past Saturday I was heading North towards Weirs Beach and still on the South side of the bridge. There was a boat in front of me that stayed at speed all the way to the bridge. I looked around for the "No Wake" bouy but couldn't find. There was another boat infront of me at headway speed and one behind (I don't think I was the only boat confused). I pulled out my Bizer chart and see nothing now. Have I lost my mind? Did I only think the South side was a "No Wake" or was it at some point and it changed?

ITD 06-16-2013 08:21 PM

No wake starts at the bridge from the south been that way as long as I've been on the lake, about 12 years now...

Dave R 06-17-2013 04:50 AM

The south side is just the standard 150 foot rule. The floating light near that area seems to confuse many people and I see them treat it like a no wake sign. Fortunately, that area opens up quickly so there's usually plenty of room to go around the slower boats if headed south and eager to get back to cruising speed.

NH_boater 06-17-2013 07:54 AM

I see this 'mistake' made almost everytime I go under the bridge. In fact, I sometimes get a look from others if I power up before reaching the south side marker. I can understand why people make this mistake but it is pretty clear.

Dave R 06-17-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH_boater (Post 205870)
I see this 'mistake' made almost everytime I go under the bridge. In fact, I sometimes get a look from others if I power up before reaching the south side marker. I can understand why people make this mistake but it is pretty clear.

I get the same look too. I also sometimes get that look when I go through the Bear Island no wake zone south bound and stay to the far right, and go around the obstruction marked by spars on the west side. The NWZ is much shorter over that way.

MJM 06-17-2013 11:59 AM

Guilty!

Ok, I confess....I gave "the look" to a couple of people who powered up in what I thought was that NWZ one summer many years ago, until I learned I was wrong, not them.

Ahhh...now I feel better for having confessed. :)

NH_boater 06-17-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJM (Post 205892)
Ok, I confess....I gave "the look" to a couple of people who powered up in what I thought was that NWZ one summer many years ago, until I learned I was wrong, not them.

Ahhh...now I feel better for having confessed. :)

Shame, shame.

Your punishment: Much more time on the lake.....

pjard 06-19-2013 07:19 PM

Thanks everyone...now I can't want to cruise up to the 150' point!

LIforrelaxin 06-19-2013 08:04 PM

Be careful approaching from the south side and thinking that it is just the 150' rule at play. On busy weekend, the Marine Patrol, are usually around flagging people to slow down out around the lighted Marker... It is a safety issue...

In short use common sense....

NH_boater 06-19-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 206056)
Be careful approaching from the south side and thinking that it is just the 150' rule at play. On busy weekend, the Marine Patrol, are usually around flagging people to slow down out around the lighted Marker... It is a safety issue...

In short use common sense....

Are you saying 'slow down' within 150' of other boats, or 150' of the marker? I am assuming you mean other boats.

ApS 06-20-2013 04:30 AM

...or someone shielding themselves from traffic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH_boater (Post 206062)
Are you saying 'slow down' within 150' of other boats, or 150' of the marker? I am assuming you mean other boats.

There is no requirement to keep 150-feet from navigation markers; however, depending on the marker's location, there'll be somebody fishing within those 150-feet!

:eek2:

webmaster 06-20-2013 06:58 AM

Here's a video of the area being discussed:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q3FnYtvFY_M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NH_boater 06-20-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 206063)
There is no requirement to keep 150-feet from navigation markers; however, depending on the marker's location, there'll be somebody fishing within those 150-feet!

:eek2:

Thank you - this was my point.

Kamper 06-21-2013 06:38 AM

I used to hang around there a lot. I can't count he times I have seen boats clear the bridge and throttle up immediately, heading toward the Witches or into the bay. It's almost funny when the MP is waiting just down the beach, keeping an eye on things, and flags down the rocketeer.

MJM 06-21-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH_boater (Post 205914)
Shame, shame.

Your punishment: Much more time on the lake.....

Now THAT is a penance I can handle! :)