Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let Them Eat Cake? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29181)

ishoot308 10-16-2023 06:07 PM

Let Them Eat Cake?

Thinking about having this Meredith bakery do a custom cake for me.

Yay or nay?

Thanks!

Dan

thinkxingu 10-17-2023 03:55 AM

Cake is personal, and there's only one way to find out if you like a bakery's style.

For example, everyone raves about Jen's cakes at The Boro, including my wife, but I don't love the frosting.

Frederick's in Nashua/Bedford, on the other hand, is perfect in my eyes.

Though not many, the reviews for Let Them Eat Cake are excellent, so I'd give it a go.

Let us know how it goes, as I'm always on the lookout for summer cakes!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Meredith AK 10-17-2023 06:46 AM

Bread and Chocolate in Concord

If you're OK with a little drive, Bread and Chocolate on South Main St in Concord would be your best choice. You won't be disappointed.

ishoot308 10-17-2023 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 388689)
Cake is personal, and there's only one way to find out if you like a bakery's style.

For example, everyone raves about Jen's cakes at The Boro, including my wife, but I don't love the frosting.

Frederick's in Nashua/Bedford, on the other hand, is perfect in my eyes.

Though not many, the reviews for Let Them Eat Cake are excellent, so I'd give it a go.

Let us know how it goes, as I'm always on the lookout for summer cakes!

Yeah I get that its a personal thing but its always good to hear and a confidence builder about someone who has a had a good experience there...this forum has not let me down very often over the years on recommendations...

Thanks!

Dan

BroadHopper 10-17-2023 08:00 AM

Village Bakery

Downtown Laconia. They make my favorite cake, dark chocolate with coffee frosting perfect! I'm sure they can do others! Need to order in advance.

Cookies and Cake was my favorite but is no longer in business.

ishoot308 10-17-2023 08:01 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meredith AK (Post 388691)
If you're OK with a little drive, Bread and Chocolate on South Main St in Concord would be your best choice. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks!...Trying to keep it as close to home as possible as it will be for Thanksgiving and we have other items to pickup in the area on the same day...

Thanks for the recommendation however!!

Dan

ishoot308 10-17-2023 08:18 AM

Village Bakery

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 388693)
Downtown Laconia. They make my favorite cake, dark chocolate with coffee frosting perfect! I'm sure they can do others! Need to order in advance.

Cookies and Cake was my favorite but is no longer in business.

Thanks for the recommendation Broadhopper! I see they won "Best Bakery In The Lakes Region 2023"!

Dan

upthesaukee 10-17-2023 08:46 AM

Sweet Caroline bakery Alton

While I haven't personally ordered a cake from them, I have seen good reviews on local websites. Here is a link to their website. I have had some of their other baked goods, very good.

https://www.sweetcarolinebakerynh.com/

Dave

Descant 10-17-2023 11:00 AM

There's cake and then there's cake. The bakery that makes the best Black Forest cake may not do very well with Carrot cake, or cheese cake. Obviously not local, but great cakes: https://carolinescakes.com/ What about an ice cream cake?

mcdude 10-17-2023 11:14 AM

Reminded me of.....

1 Attachment(s)
my favorite, funniest, birthday card!

DickR 10-17-2023 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 388689)
For example, everyone raves about Jen's cakes at The Boro, including my wife, but I don't love the frosting....

I've never seen good frosting on a bakery cake. It always has the feel of sweetened grease. A bakery must make frosting that applies easily and stays photogenic, but the grease detracts from the feel on the tongue. This is a shame, because good frosting is so easy to make, something that melts on the tongue. When I want good cake for myself, I make my own (mother's old recipe), including the frosting, also done the way my mother did.

TheProfessor 10-17-2023 11:37 AM

The food service at my high school used to make large sheet cakes. Not every day.
Different flavors. No frostings. Large pieces.
ALL were the best cakes that I have ever had.

Major 10-17-2023 02:49 PM

Kelly Klock

1 Attachment(s)
Dan, I have had Kelly make a couple of special cakes for us. Her cakes are amazing both with presentation and taste. I can PM you her information if you haven't already settled on someone.

Attachment 18320

ishoot308 10-17-2023 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 388701)
Dan, I have had Kelly make a couple of special cakes for us. Her cakes are amazing both with presentation and taste. I can PM you her information if you haven't already settled on someone.

Attachment 18320

Thanks Major! I actually have a call into Kelly…waiting for a call back.

Dan

ghfromaltonbay 10-18-2023 06:09 PM

Butter cream frosting

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickR (Post 388699)
I've never seen good frosting on a bakery cake. It always has the feel of sweetened grease. A bakery must make frosting that applies easily and stays photogenic, but the grease detracts from the feel on the tongue. This is a shame, because good frosting is so easy to make, something that melts on the tongue. When I want good cake for myself, I make my own (mother's old recipe), including the frosting, also done the way my mother did.

I agree Dick R. What you are describing is butter cream frosting. To me it feels like sweetened Crisco in your mouth. Believe it or not, the bakery in the Alton Hannafords has a delicious, light and fluffy frosting that is more like a light whipped cream. The labels on these cakes and cupcakes say "Our Best Cream". Their mocha frosting on dark chocolate cake is delicious.

ishoot308 10-19-2023 01:30 PM

Locked In!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 388701)

Attachment 18320

Locked in with "Kellie". Very nice person to deal with. Made everything easy for me!!

Dan

Major 10-19-2023 02:30 PM

Awesome! Kellie is a very sweet person! (Pun intended!)

DickR 10-19-2023 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay (Post 388715)
I agree Dick R. What you are describing is butter cream frosting. To me it feels like sweetened Crisco in your mouth. Believe it or not, the bakery in the Alton Hannafords has a delicious, light and fluffy frosting that is more like a light whipped cream. ...

What I use is mostly confectioner sugar, with a little butter, and just enough milk to make for an easily spread mix; I suspect just water would work as well. Add whatever color is needed for the occasion (eg. birthday). Start with too little liquid, for a very stiff mix when stirred with a knife. A mix too stiff like that will tend to peel off the top of the cake when attempting to spread. So once the mix can be stirred with a knife, add liquid slowly, mixing in well with each addition. Toward the end, you should be adding no more than perhaps a quarter teaspoon of liquid at a time, just enough to make the mix easily spread. Too much liquid makes a mix that is too loose and will sag off the sides of the cake. If you err on the addition of liquid, just add a little more sugar to stiffen the mix.

ishoot308 11-23-2023 10:24 AM

Great Job!

1 Attachment(s)
Well Kellie from “Let Them Eat Cake” in Meredith did an amazing job with my cake as you can see!

Thanks Major for the recommendation!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dan

TheProfessor 11-23-2023 01:45 PM

Betty Crocker. $1.69.

Major 11-23-2023 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 389427)
Well Kellie from “Let Them Eat Cake” in Meredith did an amazing job with my cake as you can see!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dan

What a beautiful cake! Kellie is the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinkxingu 11-23-2023 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 389427)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dan

Looks great, but how did it taste? What flavors?

webmaster 11-23-2023 04:54 PM

Here’s my favorite cake. Back in 2008 Love Bites Pastry Shop created this unique cake for ForumFest V. Is that shop still around?

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...m/compcake.jpg

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop.../DSC_00751.JPG

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...CQ_FF5_71b.JPG

ishoot308 11-23-2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 389431)
Looks great, but how did it taste? What flavors?

Think;

It tastes as good as it looks!! It was delicious and the flavor was apple spice. Very moist and super good! Everyone was impressed!!!

Dan

thinkxingu 11-24-2023 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 389433)
Think;

It tastes as good as it looks!! It was delicious and the flavor was apple spice. Very moist and super good! Everyone was impressed!!!

Dan

That sounds great! I'm glad it worked out and now the forum has a new cake place—wins all around!

BroadHopper 11-24-2023 08:23 AM

Love Bites

Unfortunately, Love Bites is close. I think Donna Love opened or partnered with Cups and Crumbs. She is no longer there.

Where did Donna Love go?????

fatlazyless 11-24-2023 08:52 AM

Hey there cake lovers, the Market Basket in Plymouth NH, about 1.5-miles from Rt 93-exit 26 has a bakery that will make you a custom cake ...... http://www.shopmarketbasket.com/bake...tom-cake-order

Just look'n for good cake at a reasonable price? Go there early in the morning for their cake, day old markdowns. Something like a 13-oz chocolate loaf cake with cream cheese frosting with a red reduced price sticker; reg $6.79, day old new price $4.86.

Susie Cougar 11-24-2023 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 389436)
Unfortunately, Love Bites is close. I think Donna Love opened or partnered with Cups and Crumbs. She is no longer there.

Where did Donna Love go?????

She is living outside of Concord now.She was a baker for quite some time for the Concord Food Co-op.