Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Missing marks (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13941)

Living the Dream 04-27-2012 09:27 AM

Missing marks

I was out traveling the lake this past weekend and noticed a red mark missing between Mark and Timber. People on the lake now could navigate without any marks out there, but thinking down the road when the ya-hoos come back into town, this might be an issue. :laugh:

Any other things changed during the ice movement?

Rattlesnake Gal 04-27-2012 10:01 AM

Thanks foe the Heads Up!

If you haven't already, be sure to call or e-mail Marine Patrol when you spot sonething like this.

New Hampshire Department of Safety
Division of State Police
Marine Patrol Bureau
Headquarters - 31 Dock Road Gilford NH 03249
603-293-2037* Fax HQ: 293-0096 Disp: 271-1153
www.marinepatrol.nh.gov

Barney Bear 04-27-2012 10:27 AM

Navigation Markers

Whenever we discover that a navigation marker is missing or in its wrong location, we call the Marine Patrol in Glendale [at the location indicated in a previous post]. Usually, the situation is corrected in a timely manner. Thanks Marine Patrol.

Living the Dream 04-28-2012 07:41 AM

Called that in Monday morning. Have fun out there!

Phantom 04-30-2012 08:13 AM

Just as an FYI

when I come across a missing or misplaced marker I have called it in over VHF #16 ...

To be Courteous , I do run through in my head how to best describe the exact marker before hailing them --

M.P. has always seemed grateful for the call

W Clarke 05-02-2012 03:16 PM

I thought all markers had numbers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 180963)
Just as an FYI

when I come across a missing or misplaced marker I have called it in over VHF #16 ...

To be Courteous , I do run through in my head how to best describe the exact marker before hailing them -- .

If I remember correctly the green lake map by Duncan has all the markers numbered, not just the flashing light markers. You don't need to describe where the marker should be, just let the MP know what the marker number is. They brag that the numbering system is one of their Duncan map selling points.

NoBozo 05-02-2012 03:25 PM

My Duncan chart from 1997-1998 does Not have all the marks numbered. I'm guessing there are Hundreds of un-numbered marks. Only the lighted marks are numbered..up to 83 in all. The Bizer chart (5th Ed) has 84. NB

Phantom 05-02-2012 03:47 PM

Can't speak to the Duncan Charts

Last version I have is a early 90's version which I let guests in the boat use to "follow along" as it is less cluttered and is more visually pleasant for non boaters.

I'm hooked on the Bizer Charts for navigation purposes.

NoBozo 05-02-2012 04:07 PM

Low and Behold...

I just googled Duncan Press.. http://www.duncanpressinc.com/

Apparently they NOW Have ALL the marks numbered...over 700. That should make for......interesting navigation. :look:

"HONEY: Could you get out the binoculars and see if that buoy over there is #873...?" Which buoy Snookie...there's 12 buoys over there. :D :D NB

ishoot308 05-02-2012 06:51 PM

The buoy numbers on the Duncan Press chart, are the same as they are in the Marine Patrol Dispatch office Duncan Press charts. If you see a missing buoy simply call the buoy number into the Marine Patrol, no need to tell them where it is at.

Dan

NoBozo 05-02-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 181142)
The buoy numbers on the Duncan Press chart, are the same as they are in the Marine Patrol Dispatch office Duncan Press charts. If you see a missing buoy simply call the buoy number into the Marine Patrol, no need to tell them where it is at.

Dan

Are the actual old UN-numbered buoys now actually NUMBERED....with PAINTED numbers...so I can see them.. Just wonderin.. :look:

BTW: If a Buoy is MISSING....HOW do you SEE IT....?
NB

ishoot308 05-02-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 181144)
Are the actual old UN-numbered buoys now actually NUMBERED....with PAINTED numbers...so I can see them.. Just wonderin.. :look:

BTW: If a Buoy is MISSING....HOW do you SEE IT....?
NB

N.B.

You look at your chart and reference the number then simply call it in to Marine Patrol. The actual buoys themselves are not all independently numbered.

Hope that helps explain.

Dan

Bear Island South 05-03-2012 06:14 AM

What about bouys that have been broken off?
How many years are they left in before they are replaced? I know of one near Meredith Neck, Dolly Island (opposite FL #3) that has been broken for three years.
Is it worth a call to Marine patrol or do they wait until it is missing, it is now at at point that you can not identify the color.

Phantom 05-03-2012 07:25 AM

Bear Island South --

Call it in ! and I know the EXACT marker you are referring to

My experiance in the past is that if the Marker is unidentifiable (no color) Marine Patrol is usually pretty darn good at a quick fix.

Numerous times I have called in the Red top just off Pitchwood, which seems to be a consistant marker hit as traffic curls in towards FL#44