Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Turning on the water (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13834)

Retired Ole Guy 04-06-2012 07:32 PM

Turning on the water

Looking for some advice from the group.

I have recently retired and it dawns on me that I can open my summer place earlier. I generally don't worry about freezing pipes because I rarely got it opened before mid May in the past.

I would like to start right after Easter this year but I am kind of leery of leaving the water on for a week while I am back home because of wife's work and kids school . Any thoughts as to when it should be ok to leave the water on. I realize that nothing is ever a sure:confused: thing but just looking for thoughts on the matter . Thanks

Slickcraft 04-06-2012 07:44 PM

Our camp on Welch is on piers with the plumbing unprotected. We normally get the water in somewhere in the range of April 15 to the 20th. I do take a look at the long range forecast first. There will still be many nights below freezing but it takes a real hard freeze to burst a pipe. There were a few times that I worried some but no damage so far.

RLW 04-07-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retired Ole Guy (Post 179465)
Looking for some advice from the group.

I have recently retired and it dawns on me that I can open my summer place earlier. I generally don't worry about freezing pipes because I rarely got it opened before mid May in the past.

I would like to start right after Easter this year but I am kind of leery of leaving the water on for a week while I am back home because of wife's work and kids school . Any thoughts as to when it should be ok to leave the water on. I realize that nothing is ever a sure:confused: thing but just looking for thoughts on the matter . Thanks

http://i44.tinypic.com/1499wms.gif Retired Ole Guy, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. As you can see by other responses in other threads there are a lot of friends here that can lead you in the right direction for installing your water. I use to always connect my water at the camp this weekend or next and never had a problem, but there is always a first time. GO FOR IT and enjoy your retirement at the cottage early
http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif

Misty Blue 04-07-2012 08:02 AM

Welcome ROG!

As said before, it takes a good hard freeze to burst pipes.I assume that you are on or near the Lake. If so the thermal mass of the Lake tends to moderate late night temps. I really think that your pipes will be fine but if you do "open the camp" here are some tips that may be helpful...

If a gallon jug of water placced outside will not freeze, you should be fine.

Turn the pump off. If you do spring a leak it will only dump the volume of your pressure tank. (I assume a well or Lake water)

Hey man, You're retired! If NOAA says that there will be a cold snap, you just got a great excuse to go to the Lake. "Honey, I would love to visit with your sister and the kids but I HAVE to go to the Lake house so that everytning will be OK for when you come up".

I didn't invent BS. But I am trying to make it an art!

Misty.

Retired Ole Guy 04-08-2012 05:31 PM

turning on water

ThanksEveryone ;)

Bear Island South 04-08-2012 07:27 PM

Don't worry, our water has been on since 3/23 and no problems. Two years ago we opened on 3/24 and never had issues.

fatlazyless 04-08-2012 09:01 PM

What works for me since turning the water system on March 16, about three weeks ago. Just add a quart of Jenkins "Made in NH" Vodka to your 30-gal pressure tank and it really makes a big difference; doubl-down with Jenkins Vodka from your NH State Liquor Store for only 7.99/qt and it will work to both fresh'n and antifreeze the water simultaneously!

pcmc 04-08-2012 11:12 PM

Let me get this straight, one qt. of vodka will sanitize 30 gal. of water.;)
I feel an experiment coming in the future.:) :)

codeman671 04-09-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmc (Post 179596)
Let me get this straight, one qt. of vodka will sanitize 30 gal. of water.;)
I feel an experiment coming in the future.:) :)

I think the only thing sanitized is his liver...les, where did the rest of that bottle go?

SIKSUKR 04-09-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 179604)
I think the only thing sanitized is his liver...les, where did the rest of that bottle go?

I think the rest went into his belly before he posted.:laugh:

BroadHopper 04-09-2012 12:20 PM

Lot of work

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 179604)

I believe it was a lot of work to get that quart in the water tank. He was pretty thirsty!

Slickcraft 04-10-2012 06:42 PM

We got the water in today, April 12th, after first installing a new hot water heater. The old unit was only 42 years old but Ms Slickcraft has been complaining of rust in the water the past few years. I had tried to sell the advantage of showering in rusty water in terms of iron supplement. Somehow I lost that debate so the new unit is up and running.

Retired Ole Guy 04-10-2012 07:44 PM

Turining on the water

Maybe if you added the vodka like another poster said you could have won the argument;);)

Rattlesnake Guy 04-11-2012 09:37 PM

We turn our water on a few days after ice out each year. Pipes above ground. On stilts. All plastic pipe. (I think this helps) We religiously turn the power off to the pump when we leave. We have had a few experiences where the outdoor shower would not run because the pipes were frozen. I took that as a sign it was probably too cold to take an outdoor shower. Have never had a problem.

I think the bigger risk is the winter draining, which you seem to have figured out.

Welcome to the Forum. Happy retirement.

rgilfert 10-14-2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 179467)
Our camp on Welch is on piers with the plumbing unprotected. We normally get the water in somewhere in the range of April 15 to the 20th. I do take a look at the long range forecast first. There will still be many nights below freezing but it takes a real hard freeze to burst a pipe. There were a few times that I worried some but no damage so far.

My wife retired this summer (I've been retired for longer) and thus we are now free to stay at our place on Rattlesnake Island much deeper into the autumn months. Our plan is to remain on the island until Nov 1 (I'd like to carve a Jack-O-Lantern on the island to celebrate Halloween). In looking at NOAA there are two evenings over the coming weekend that are forecast to drop down to freezing overnight.....is this a concern (my lake water plumbing is exposed to the elements under the house as well). Will temps potentially in the high 20s not generate the "hard freeze" that you're talking about?

Pine Island Guy 10-14-2015 07:47 AM

shouldn't be a problem!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgilfert (Post 252845)
In looking at NOAA there are two evenings over the coming weekend that are forecast to drop down to freezing overnight.....is this a concern (my lake water plumbing is exposed to the elements under the house as well). Will temps potentially in the high 20s not generate the "hard freeze" that you're talking about?

When we had the house on pilings and plumbing open to the air, we never shut it down until mid-November... the "lake effect" where the water temp is still in the 60s will help keep the surrounding shoreline areas a bit warmer than the forecast for the town... in addition, the temps need to drop into the low 20s for more than a few hours before the water in pipes would start to freeze... think about when you put an ice-cube tray in the freezer (which is typically at 0 degrees), and how long it takes before they are solid enough for your gin & tonic :)

That said, I did sometimes push the envelope and have to make a couple of last minute runs to the island when I saw the temp prediction was going to be in the low teens...

Enjoy the extended season on the island, it is spectacular on the lake this time of year!!!

-PIG

Merrymeeting 10-14-2015 08:08 AM

Unless it gets into the mid-twenties and stays there for a long time (6-12 hours), you have nothing to worry about. If you look at the detailed forecast tables, you will see that the freezing temps forecast are only for an hour or two, and barely dip below freezing.

And as Pine Island Guy said, the water in the lake is still near 60 so it's doubtful you will even see the freezing temps. Worst case, open a spigot to a drip and keep that 60 degree water flowing through the pipes.