Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fire on Sleepers Island (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13780)

upthesaukee 03-26-2012 02:19 PM

Fire on Sleepers Island

I have been listening to the scanner for the last 15 minutes or so, and the was a call in to Alton for a fire on Sleepers. Alton Fire boat not in water. Gilford boat has been dispatched, and marine patrol is launching a boat and a crew. Alton staging at Rattlesnake landing. Alton chief can see smoke. NHEC is going to be shutting power down to Sleepers.

With this wind and the tough chore of getting sufficient manpower out there could get interesting.

Gilford boat just reported outside fire from a downed power line.

Operations are switching to a channel I do not have on my scanner.

upthesaukee 03-26-2012 02:30 PM

Update:

First alarm fire alarm has been issued to get more manpower to the scene.
I believe they said it was on the northeast side, but not sure.

With this wind and the high fire danger, not a good sign.

Please keep the property owners in your thoughts, and especially keep the fire fighters who will be going out to the island in your thoughts as well.

Smith Point 03-26-2012 03:05 PM

I clicked on my cousins web-cam and saw a LOT OF SMOKE coming form Sleepers Island, had to call it in to be on the safe side. Hope all is well.

AC2717 03-26-2012 03:16 PM

keep posting info!!!!

Smith Point 03-26-2012 03:22 PM

Looks like they have things under control, hardly any smoke.

Smith Point 03-26-2012 03:40 PM

Technology is a good thing; I’m sitting in the office here in Maine, and reporting a fire that could have easily (with this wind, off season) wiped out the entire Island. Two thumbs up for the first responders.

MDoug 03-26-2012 03:41 PM

Sleepers Fire

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smith Point (Post 178658)
Looks like they have things under control, hardly any smoke.

Hooray!

Good reporting, Fellows!

RLW 03-26-2012 04:50 PM

Scanner just said that smoke is being reported again out there. That was about 20 minutes ago.

Formula206 03-26-2012 07:21 PM

Is there any more information on the fire situation?

winniboy 03-26-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula206 (Post 178683)
Is there any more information on the fire situation?

yes can someone please update us, none of the scanner channels seam to have any chatter about it.

AC2717 03-27-2012 10:49 AM

so what is going on with this?

upthesaukee 03-27-2012 12:52 PM

got me!!!!

I have seen nothing on the Union Leader website, or on WMUR. Wish I could tell you.

I can only go by the old adage that "no news is good news." When I was by the scanner yesterday afternoon , I heard nothing about any structures being involved. Hopefully, that is true, and it was only brush.

SleeperIsBullPen 03-27-2012 01:23 PM

Good News for Property Owners on Sleepers Island NE side

I would have posted this sooner but I was waiting from my account to be activated.

Being a property owner on the NE side of Sleepers Island and hearing last night that there was a fire, I called the Alton NH Fire Department earlier today to get an update. I am happy to report that NO homes were affected by yesterday's fire. Yea and PHEW, what a relief!!!!!! :):):)
They also confirmed that it was an outside fire caused by one of the power lines that burned.

chachee52 03-28-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 178651)

Operations are switching to a channel I do not have on my scanner.

Just for further reference you can go to radioreference.com and stream the channels for Lakes Region. There's also and app Scanner Radio that streams from mostly this web site.

Sunset Bob 03-28-2012 11:55 AM

SleepersIsBullPen Thanks for the update and welcome to the forum

martbri7 03-28-2012 12:22 PM

Finally a article from the Citizen online....

By HARRISON HAAS
hhaas@citizen.com

ALTON — Area fire departments responded to a single-alarm fire on a Lake Winnipesaukee island in Alton Monday afternoon after a resident in Portland, Maine, saw smoke while viewing a live webcam online.....

Sorry the rest of the article I need a subscription for:laugh::laugh::laugh:

CateP 03-28-2012 02:50 PM

Very Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 178783)
Just for further reference you can go to radioreference.com and stream the channels for Lakes Region. There's also and app Scanner Radio that streams from mostly this web site.

I just found the Wolfeboro police, EMS and fire online. I'm listening while I work. Very cool. I'm sure this will come in handy during a power outage. (I use my Verizon Mobile card for internet connections during power outages)

Smith Point 03-29-2012 08:15 PM

I got the story.

Island fire quickly quelled

By HARRISON HAAS

hhaas@citizen.com

ALTON — Area fire departments responded to a single-alarm fire on a Lake Winnipesaukee island in Alton Monday afternoon after a resident in Portland, Maine, saw smoke while viewing a live webcam online.

The New Hampshire Electric Cooperative in Plymouth had received a call around 2 p.m., regarding a power outage on Rattlesnake Island.

The Alton and Gilford fire departments responded to the online caller’s report for a smoke investigation just before 3 p.m. on Sleepers Island, located just south of Rattlesnake Island. Upon investigation, the fire departments discovered an outside fire and called a first alarm for additional manpower.

There was no damage to any of the residences on the island; however, around an acre and a half of wooded area was burned.

Alton Fire Chief Scott Williams said the fire started from a downed power line on the island.

“The line was a primary line to the island,” Williams said Tuesday. “We called the New Hampshire Electric Cooperative in Plymouth and they were able to remotely shut down the power.”

Local utility crews were able to disconnect the fuses and ground the wire. No injuries were reported during the incident.

Williams said his department’s fire boat was not yet in service and the firefighters had to rely on Gilford’s fire boat which had been placed in service early this week.

“We had Marine Patrol and a boat from Andrew’s Marine take personnel over to the island,” said Williams. “Fire departments were told to respond to Rattlesnake Landing, where they got on a boat.”

A crew of about 20 fire personnel were shuttled to the island. Williams said the it was a rough trip across the lake, with winds gusting at more than 25 mph, creating several foot swells on the lake.

“There were four-foot-plus waves out there; it was pretty rough,” said Williams. “With the temperatures below freezing, when the water splashed up as a mist, it would freeze immediately to wherever it landed.”

Overall, Williams said, the operation went fairly seamlessly.

The fire was declared under control around 4:12 p.m. and the last units went into service at 5:51 p.m.

Departments responding to the incident included Alton, Gilford, Gilmanton, Barnstead, and New Durham. New Hampshire Marine Patrol also assisted during the incident.
by the way I live in bangor Maine. thank god all is well.

upthesaukee 03-29-2012 09:29 PM

Nice Job, Smith Point

Great idea to make the call...others may have just said "it's probably a controlled burn...".

Could have saved literally millions in property, especially the way the wind was blowing.

Smith Point 03-30-2012 06:09 PM

Thanks upthesaukee! I saw a potential situation that could have affected hundreds of people including my family. It could have led to devastation that would have been irreversible. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Thank god everything turned out all right!

SleeperIsBullPen 04-03-2012 11:48 AM

Second the motion: Nice Job, Smith Point

I second the thanks......

Thank you Smith Point for being in the right place at the right time and making the call when you saw smoke....the BullPen on Sleepers (along with many others I'm sure) greatly appreciate it. :)