Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Just for the hull of it (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2848)

Skipper of the Sea Que 01-25-2006 06:42 AM

Just for the hull of it

I’ve got my 2006 NH registration stickers ready to place on the hull. The problem is, do I slap this sticker on top of the stack or do I remove them all before I put on the new ones? I’ve got over a dozen haphazardly stacked on top of each other and I don’t know when enough is enough.

What is the best and easiest way to remove the old registration stickers?

I would be afraid to use a razor scraper for fear of damaging the finish of the boat.

Do I warm them with a heat gun or blow dryer and peal them off?

Is there a solvent to use? Maybe fatlazyless knows if Wally-mart sells something cheap for this?

Should I consider getting this done by the service folks at the marina?

Or do I just have to buy a new boat and start the stack again? (if so, how do I convince my wife that this is the way to go :liplick: ?)

What do you do and what do you suggest?

Phantom 01-25-2006 08:07 AM

Well Skipper -- the answer is obvious -- If you have that many stickers on the hull it's obviously time for a new boat. This is one of the easiest excuses to get past the wife "Honey, there's no more room for the registration stickers - time to go shopping" :look:

Sorry -- couldn't resist (me bad).

As I've never experianced that dilemna, I'll leave it to someone who has gone through it to answer - but I would think that a razor near the lower levels (not the hull) and a lot of patience - because they are designed to flake off once applied - would do the trick. You might not get a perfectly flat surface, but one you can work with.

We'll see what the experts chime in with.

Merrymeeting 01-25-2006 08:19 AM

Al,

I finally took my stack off this fall. I had about 5 and found that I could peel most of the stack off rather easily. The pieces left behind came off with a bit of effort using a fingernail. Or you could just put the new one over the pieces.

SIKSUKR 01-25-2006 08:48 AM

I found that most of the stickers will come off pretty easy.If you cleaned the surface before you put the first one on,it will probably give you a hard time.Do not use a razor unless you don't mind scraching the hell out of your hull.I have had good succes using a heat gun (carefull not to burn your boat!) and a stiff plastic scraper like those used for auto body repair work.You could also substitute a plastic kitchen spatula or the like.To get the leftover glue I used glue remover or some other type of solvent.

Skip 01-25-2006 09:20 AM

sticky stickers.....

I second the advice SIKSUKR gives, you don't want to use a razor blade on gelcoat unless you have a very steady hand and lots of practice.

A hairdryer will really soften things up and make it a lot easier to remove the decals, if you don't have access to a heat gun.

By the way, a really good solvent to use to remove any leftover residue is the classic american standby, WD-40!

Spray some WD-40 on the crap left behind and rub the gunk off with a piece of old towel.

The WD-40 is harmless to gelcoat but really removes old adhesive!

Good luck....

Skip

DRH 01-25-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip
<snip>
A hairdryer will really soften things up and make it a lot easier to remove the decals, if you don't have access to a heat gun.
<snip>

Skip

Skip's right. We've always had good success removing the old decals using a hair dryer. The heat softens the adhesive just enough to make it easy to slowly peel off the old decal(s) in one piece.

Dave R 01-25-2006 11:09 AM

Prepare to bs shocked by how nice the gelcoat looks under the first sticker. You'll want a new boat...

fatlazyless 01-25-2006 11:38 AM

olde stickers

If you have ever tossed a paint thinner soaked paper towel into a wood stove then you know that it immediately flames and roars, big time! With that in mind, I'd go with a heat gun and a sharp razor blade scraper, and keep the paint thinner or wd-40 way far away from a heat gun.

Lots of olde stickers all piled up, sort of remind me of some experienced warrant officer with all those hash marks on the sleeve.

dpg 01-25-2006 11:51 AM

"Goo-Gone" also cleans glue up great, it's available in most any store. Ususlly a good layer of stickers peel off pretty easily.

Senter Cove Guy 01-25-2006 12:20 PM

One of my favorite tools

is 1/2 of a wooden clothespin. After softening up the decals with a hair dryer, I use the "sharp" end of the clothespin to scrape off the remainder without harming the gelcoat. It's pretty much a once-a-year tool that sits in my toolbox.

Kamper 01-25-2006 01:57 PM

What's a "clothes pin?" :laugh:

Sandy Beach 02-01-2006 10:19 AM

What's a clothes pin [sic]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamper
What's a "clothes pin?" :laugh:

http://www.oldenburgvanbruggen.com/clothespin.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Clothespin.jpg

Interesting that when looking at "other uses" for clothespins, scraping registration stickers is not on the list. Information about wooden clothespins Surprised to see what is on the list. I also wondered how to remove those stickers. I'm not sure I can envision how the sharp edge (mine are all rounded blunt) of 1/2 a wood clothespin would work.

Sandy

sum-r breeze 02-03-2006 12:15 AM

Somebody Twist His Arm!

Al.....Buy the boat! Too many stickers time for an upgrade!...Hell I'd buy it .:D