Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bring Vinyl back! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7647)

OCDACTIVE 05-05-2009 07:44 PM

Bring Vinyl back!

Just wanted to pass along a great experience I had. I recently bought a 1999 boat with ALL white interior. It looked to be in good shape with the normal wear and minor stains.. Nothing major.

Anyway a friend of mine suggested a brand of cleaner called Leverage. I was told to use that and a magic eraser sponge by Mr. Clean.

I had cleaned it with a couple different products and it cleaned up well.. But then I used this stuff with the eraser....... Unbelievable!!!!!!! Seriously it came back bright white.

Someone had said to use water downed bleach but I knew how bad that can be for the vinyl or leather... This leverage not only works great but it is "Green".. all natural.

Anyway, Thought I would pass along the good experience.

Here is the website I purchased it from:

http://www.topnotchperformancemarine...oducts-c2.html

searay220 05-05-2009 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info:
Is this available at the local store or boat store?

OCDACTIVE 05-06-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by searay220 (Post 94121)
Thanks for the info:
Is this available at the local store or boat store?

I do not believe so. I have an email into my friend who told me about it. I will let you know either way.

I used the web site I attached and not only bought the vinyl cleaner but the polish / wax and the vinyl applicator. Because I used the magic eraser I never ended up needing the applicator. But I will save it for the future. On one side it is a bit coarser and I was told it is great for getting down to the stiching of the vinyl to get the thread back to white as well.

The Polish did an outstanding job after I had power buffed with a compound.

I'll let you know on the store but I can't say enough good things about them.

OCDACTIVE 05-06-2009 10:58 AM

Sorry.. it is not retailed in stores. But if you are interested I attached the link above where I purchased it, or feel free to PM me and I can put you in touch with the guy who invented it.

Thanks

jrc 05-06-2009 11:10 AM

OCD, be careful with the Magic Eraser. Its good for a deep cleaning of really grungy vinyl, but it is abrasive. Only use it when you really need it. Eventually it will wear the vinyl out and then you will never get the smooth surface back.

Just like using rubbing compound on the gel coat. These abrasive cleaners work great but every time you use them, a little surface material is removed.

mcdude 05-06-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 94124)
The Polish did an outstanding job after I had power buffed with a compound.

Makes one wonder whether the Irish or Italians would have done such a nice job :D

OCDACTIVE 05-06-2009 11:12 AM

good to know... Now that it is back to brilliant white, I used conditioner and protector as well. I had heard the same thing not to overdue it.

Thanks!

EZ-Pass 05-06-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 94152)
Makes one wonder whether the Irish or Italians would have done such a nice job :D

That's a good one mcdude. I had to re-read twice before I caught on.:)

bigdog 05-18-2009 10:46 PM

Bring back vinyl

Hi... I took OCDACTIVE's advice to clean the vinyl on my 1995 bowrider. I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and some Meguiar's Vinyl #39 cleaner. Unbelieveable results !!!! Especially good results on white vinyl seats, even down to the threading. Just amazing I'm soooooooooo happy ! :)

A big thanks OCDACTIVE !

BTW, OCDACTIVE... you stated you used a conditioner and protectant after cleaning vinyl? What product did you use?

Thanks again.
Bigdog

OCDACTIVE 05-19-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 94966)
Hi... I took OCDACTIVE's advice to clean the vinyl on my 1995 bowrider. I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and some Meguiar's Vinyl #39 cleaner. Unbelieveable results !!!! Especially good results on white vinyl seats, even down to the threading. Just amazing I'm soooooooooo happy ! :)

A big thanks OCDACTIVE !

BTW, OCDACTIVE... you stated you used a conditioner and protectant after cleaning vinyl? What product did you use?

Thanks again.
Bigdog

Same stuff I used to clean it.. It is a cleaner / conditioner.. Leverage.. See link at top.. Glad it all worked for you.. Just keep in mind you do not want to use the Magic Eraser everytime. It can be tough on the vinyl. It works great but it is similar to rubbing compoud... over time it will start to wear it down.

VtSteve 05-19-2009 08:49 AM

One thing I've found with the vinyl, is that using the 303 Aerospace Protectant keeps the dirt and grime from setting in. Not greasy or oily, and not destructive like Armor All and products like that. I generally wipe them off after every outing, and apply the 303 on Sunday after we're through.

Glendale Girl 05-19-2009 10:18 AM

Krazy

I used Krazy Klean...works wonders on dirt and grime..great for outdoor furniture too. They do sell this at marainas

Seeker 05-19-2009 10:25 AM

Bleach

You mention in post #1 someone suggested watered down bleach. I had a friend use bleach on his vinyl bimini top and it came out great EXCEPT it ate ALL the stitching holding it together. A very expensive way to clean vinyl.

eillac@dow 06-06-2009 08:44 PM

It's on order now

OCDACTIVE.....just placed my order for the vinyl cleaner. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the tip!:D

BroadHopper 06-07-2009 10:27 AM

Bleach

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeker (Post 94994)
You mention in post #1 someone suggested watered down bleach. I had a friend use bleach on his vinyl bimini top and it came out great EXCEPT it ate ALL the stitching holding it together. A very expensive way to clean vinyl.

All boat manufacturers do not recomend bleach. I found out 20 years ago when my ex used diluted bleach on my brand new boat upholstery. =(

Don't use bleach on stainless steel either. My ex uses bleach on my stainless steel sink on it turned all gray. Ammonia is a far better product for cleaning stainless steel.

As for vinyl. I had good luck with the 3M vinyl cleaner and 3M vinyl protectant. The two in one product is not as good as the two seperated.

Bear Island South 06-07-2009 08:57 PM

clear vinyl

any suggestions for cleaning the clear vinyl for the zip around canvas covers