Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weather (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Alton Bay Downings Landing Cam Showing Major Problem (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9626)

AC2717 03-29-2010 09:05 AM

Alton Bay Downings Landing Cam Showing Major Problem

I just checked out the cams.
THe water level is over the gas docks at Downings. I hope if that water gets any higher, which it will, those gas pumps and lines do not have any gas in them!!!

Should they or the EPA put up one of those Orange floating berms or booms whatever the call them to help contain anything that might happen. Really nervous for the lake right now with seeing things like that!!!

RLW 03-29-2010 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a view of what AC2717 is talking about in thread #1.:)

mcdude 03-29-2010 05:19 PM

Here's the link....

DOWNING'S LANDING

robmac 03-29-2010 05:24 PM

Looks like it did way back at the last no wake time in 98,I don't think they've had gas in over a year. They are very responsible owners and I'm sure precautions have already been taken care of.

Just Sold 03-29-2010 05:27 PM

I believe that they drain the tank and the lines to the pumps in the Fall. They remove the pump hose too. So I do not think high water is an issue. It happens here in the sping as the lake rises. Seen it before.

mcdude 03-29-2010 05:40 PM

Spring floods - May 2006

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...ngsgasdock.jpg

LIforrelaxin 03-29-2010 06:51 PM

One must remember that when these gas docks are put in that there are all kinds of regulations that must be followed. The regulations include safe guards that protect the environment. I would believe at this point the EPA has very well define guidelines that cover all the dangerous possibilities of having a fueling station over the water. Up to and including a flooding situation.

Now Assuming the pumps are off, the amount of fuel contained int the lines is pretty minimal. And although the thought of having gasoline spilled onto the lake is unsettling, remember it floats on water, and will evaporate rather quickly.

Remember there is a big difference between Gasoline, and the thick heavy crude that cause the big disasters in the ocean. I would also be willing to bet more gasoline is spilled into the lake on any given weekend all summer long then could even possibly be contained in the lines and pumps sitting on any of the marinas on the lake....

lawn psycho 03-30-2010 04:01 AM

I hope that water starts going down so I can get my boat in at Parker Marine in early May.

Even getting under the bridge can start to become a problem as well.

I'm traveling for work right now. Anyone able to snap a photo of the docks at Parker's?

fpartri497 03-30-2010 08:21 AM

Parker marine

Good luck :d

robmac 03-30-2010 09:31 AM

LP, you can always look at Downings Bridge cam to check bridge clearance, I can probably do it when I get back on Friday. If the water is over the gas dock probably going to have issues with clearing the bridge.

Lakesrider 03-30-2010 11:43 AM

Don't look at the weather radar over MA right now...Torrential rain down there, and it is heading north. Should be here this afternoon, and then get a bit better.

robmac 03-30-2010 12:03 PM

Now that I'm up to my armpits in aligators I remembered someone this morning asked me to drain the swamp.Is it Thursday yet.

BenLasher 03-30-2010 01:33 PM

Weighing in from Massachusetts

It is starting to let up in Southern Mass right now, but LOTS of major flooding problems.

And yes, looking at the radar, it is heading right towards the lake in the next few hours.

Batten down the hatches. There is approximately 2 more inches of rain in that yellow section of the radar.

upthesaukee 03-30-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawn psycho (Post 123345)
I hope that water starts going down so I can get my boat in at Parker Marine in early May.

Even getting under the bridge can start to become a problem as well.

I'm traveling for work right now. Anyone able to snap a photo of the docks at Parker's?

No need to snap a picture. Just drove by, and the water is right up to the supports for the decking and may in fact be almost even with the decking board bottoms. The lake is coming up quick, and at last report earlier today was about 4.5 inches above full lake.

Much more than a rowboat will have trouble going under the bridge. :rolleye1:

searay220 03-30-2010 04:10 PM

:eek:My quess will be mid to late June before any decent size boat is able to get under that bridge.:emb:

Ropetow 03-30-2010 05:26 PM

The gas docks at Downings haven't been open for at least three years, I believe. Most of the boats at Parkers and RiverLake shouldn't have a problem getting under the bridge.

mcdude 03-30-2010 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you visit Downing's WebCam page there are four different cams there. One is focused on the bridge (kind of) .....BRIDGE CAM so you can check it out yourself....LIVE! from Alton Bay!

Here's what it looked like tonight.

robmac 03-30-2010 05:46 PM

It's still getting higher,was alot lower at noon.

lawn psycho 03-30-2010 08:30 PM

So how do we bribe the dam operator to open 'er up?

robmac 03-30-2010 09:51 PM

You may want to start btibing south of the lake. The problem isn't just the lake but where the water travels after crossing the dam.