Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Breakfast (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21112)

Alpine girl 08-20-2016 08:43 AM

Breakfast

Went to Ames Farm Inn for breakfast recently for the first time. The food was good & so was the service. The menu is fairly simple but sufficient. They have neat little coffee mugs that you can purchase in their little shop, which we did. Ames Farm has been there for over 100 years & it was sort of like going back in time.

We have also been to Sunshine & Pa's twice. Once last year & once this year. It was really good & so was the service. They have quite a large menu. It tasted like there may have been a little cornmeal in the pancake which I liked. It also has a sunny & pleasant atmosphere.

On the other hand, we have been to George's Diner twice this year & were very disatisfed with the service. It was incredibly slow, difficult to get waitresses's attention for more coffee & the bill. She never came over to ask how our meal was either. We were sitting at the bar too. It was a little unappetizing having dirty dishes in front of the stool next to us for the whole meal as well. We have been to George's several times in the past & never had these issues. All the waitresses were very busy. I'm wondering if they are just short on help. Hopefully, they will get back on track soon.

joey2665 08-20-2016 11:35 AM

Union Diner

Try the union diner. I've been there any times and never disappointed. FYI Their pancakes are better than Kitchen Cravings which I happen to also like.

ITD 08-20-2016 04:35 PM

Center Harbor Diner, just redone, great food and service.

phoenix 08-20-2016 06:13 PM

Once per year when we have to bring our car in for service at Irvings we stop in town Laconia for breakfast . Don't know the name but only one in town . It is always very good and reasonable

SteveO123 08-20-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 267661)
Once per year when we have to bring our car in for service at Irvings we stop in town Laconia for breakfast . Don't know the name but only one in town . It is always very good and reasonable

Water Street Cafe perhaps? Behind the police station?

Winnigirl 08-20-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO123 (Post 267665)
Water Street Cafe perhaps? Behind the police station?

We had a great breakfast there on our last trip and are looking forward to returning. My husband had a lobster omelet that he is still talking about weeks later.

We also enjoyed breakfast at Ames and Mug by the Bay. Union diner has always been a favorite but seemed different to us. Kitchen Cravings was as delicious as ever (so fortunate for their gluten free options) and discovered a new favorite, Heritage Hill Farm.

phoenix 08-21-2016 04:48 AM

Yes that's it. We have been going there as I said once per year for around ten years . Same waitress serves us. Good breakfast for the price

Greene's Basin Girl 08-22-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine girl (Post 267642)
Went to Ames Farm Inn for breakfast recently for the first time. The food was good & so was the service. The menu is fairly simple but sufficient. They have neat little coffee mugs that you can purchase in their little shop, which we did. Ames Farm has been there for over 100 years & it was sort of like going back in time.

We have also been to Sunshine & Pa's twice. Once last year & once this year. It was really good & so was the service. They have quite a large menu. It tasted like there may have been a little cornmeal in the pancake which I liked. It also has a sunny & pleasant atmosphere.

On the other hand, we have been to George's Diner twice this year & were very disatisfed with the service. It was incredibly slow, difficult to get waitresses's attention for more coffee & the bill. She never came over to ask how our meal was either. We were sitting at the bar too. It was a little unappetizing having dirty dishes in front of the stool next to us for the whole meal as well. We have been to George's several times in the past & never had these issues. All the waitresses were very busy. I'm wondering if they are just short on help. Hopefully, they will get back on track soon.

I couldn't disagree more. I think George's is very good and it has great service. It is our go to place for lunch.

Sal 08-22-2016 01:54 PM

I'm flummoxed.

The Village Kitchen doesn't get a vote here?

It should. Good food, reasonable prices and "wise-guy" waitresses.

WINNOCTURN 08-22-2016 03:15 PM

VK in the Summer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 267804)

Sal,

It's too hard to get into as it is, especially for Breakfast.

On Sunday mornings during the summer Season we like to order it to go. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare, so I order from my cell phone when I am about half way there.

My favorite Breakfast is the 2 Egg Cheese Omelet with REAL HASH BROWS, Raisin toast and a side of Bacon. :liplick::liplick::liplick:

My wife likes the Mushroom version. :yawn:

So keep it quite!

HellRaZoR004 08-22-2016 03:22 PM

As for VK lately they have been so busy they are NOT taking to-go orders over the phone. When you arrive they either turn you away or say it will be a 45 minute wait (example from Saturday).

They have great breakfast sandwiches and doughnuts.

ITD 08-22-2016 06:10 PM

Yep, Village Kitchen is a great place to eat, any meal, always good.

Mr. V 08-22-2016 06:12 PM

We had some very good breakfasts at The Wise Owl on rte. 11 in W. Alton.

Good portion size, quick service, very tasty.

But the shelves on their store are a lot barer than they once were.

ishoot308 08-22-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 267647)
Try the union diner. I've been there any times and never disappointed. FYI Their pancakes are better than Kitchen Cravings which I happen to also like.

Agree about the Union Diner! One of our favorites!

Another excellent place is De Ja Vous, a local favorite! They have a fantastic breakfast just very hard to get into at times...

Dan

joey2665 08-22-2016 06:24 PM

Dan you are correct I always forget about that place because I usually only pass it on my way out of town. I've been there a few times and never disappointed.

fatlazyless 08-22-2016 06:39 PM

... McDonald's unfriendly moving menu boards!

The Meredith McDonald's which is probably the biggest payer of the 9% meals tax in the area, has recently replaced their menu boards above the order/pickup area and cash registers with a new moving menu which are basically five tv screens.

I think these are a major, ugly nuisance ...... these irritating moving and changing menu screens ....... at the Meredith McDonalds ......a good reason not to go there unless you are totally, totally, totally desperate and very hungry.

The old menu boards had probably been in use there for thirty years, and they worked just fine.

TiltonBB 08-23-2016 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 267851)
The Meredith McDonald's which is probably the biggest payer of the 9% meals tax in the area, has recently replaced their menu boards above the order/pickup area and cash registers with a new moving menu which are basically five tv screens.

I think these are a major, ugly nuisance ...... these irritating moving and changing menu screens ....... at the Meredith McDonalds ......a good reason not to go there unless you are totally, totally, totally desperate and very hungry.

The old menu boards had probably been in use there for thirty years, and they worked just fine.

There are plenty of reasons to skip McDonalds! The menu boards may be pretty low on most people's lists of reasons to drive right by!

Alpine girl 09-03-2016 11:07 AM

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnigirl (Post 267675)
We had a great breakfast there on our last trip and are looking forward to returning. My husband had a lobster omelet that he is still talking about weeks later.

We also enjoyed breakfast at Ames and Mug by the Bay. Union diner has always been a favorite but seemed different to us. Kitchen Cravings was as delicious as ever (so fortunate for their gluten free options) and discovered a new favorite, Heritage Hill Farm.

Where is Heritage Hill Farm?

Alpine girl 09-03-2016 11:10 AM

Question

Quote:

Where is the Village Kitchen?

Alpine girl 09-03-2016 11:13 AM

Wise Owl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 267844)
We had some very good breakfasts at The Wise Owl on rte. 11 in W. Alton.

Good portion size, quick service, very tasty.

But the shelves on their store are a lot barer than they once were.

I always wondered about the Wise Owl. It has been there forever.

Alpine girl 09-03-2016 11:16 AM

Deja Vous

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 267846)
Agree about the Union Diner! One of our favorites!

Another excellent place is De Ja Vous, a local favorite! They have a fantastic breakfast just very hard to get into at times...

Dan

Always wondered about that place too. We pass it all the time on our way up to the lake & on our way home but we never seem to catch it when it's open.

Newbiesaukee 09-03-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine girl (Post 268664)

The Village Kitchen is on Route 25 in Moultonborough. There is a large " Country Cooking" on the sign which occasionally confuses people who have not been there. Definitely a worthwhile stop.

Dave M 09-06-2016 11:46 AM

Thumbs up Village Kitchen again

Went yesterday morning(9am), glad they were open. It was busy but not packed. Had 4 adults and 6 month granddaughter. It was everything about the baby, set up seat, etc. Seat was at the end of the table at the booth. Wife & I split the Farmers breakfast, a little bit of everything. Daughter & daughter-in-law had the omelets. All were very good, I tried them. One thing I noticed the waitress served everything around the baby, not over. Also other waitress carrying orders were aware of the baby. Waitress mentioned she has year old granddaughter. Wish I knew her name. She got a larger tip then usual. By the time we left, ~10am, it was packed.

Dave M

PS Been there a number of times, even before the new place.

Miss Theresa 09-08-2016 06:03 PM

Village Kitchen is worth the wait

Quote:

If a restaurant has a long line, it is because they know what the heck they are doing. You just have to expect it and not complain. As far as the VK is concerned, on my list of must do's" whenever I return to NH for a Visit. NO other diner compares to their biscuits and gravy! See y'all in Novemeber!:liplick:

Woody38 09-08-2016 06:21 PM

Surely you jest!
Biscuits and gravy for breakfast. No wonder soo many of us are obese.

Try this. English muffin with a slice of tomato, heaping with lobster meat
and hollandaise sauce.

DE-LIC-US

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

Fantastic day on the lake today. Quite calm, some sun and no hot rods doing 110 Db.

Miss Theresa 09-08-2016 10:22 PM

Yum! That does sound delish! Biscuits and gravy is an occasional treat. I try to eat healthy. So, are you going to fix that yummy English Muffin for me?:liplick:

chipj29 09-09-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 269098)
Surely you jest!
Biscuits and gravy for breakfast. No wonder soo many of us are obese.

Try this. English muffin with a slice of tomato, heaping with lobster meat
and hollandaise sauce.

DE-LIC-US

Fantastic day on the lake today. Quite calm, some sun and no hot rods doing 110 Db.

No offense, and I do love lobster and hollandaise...but...
Hollandaise sauce is made from 2 things - egg yolks and clarified butter. Not real high on the list of healthy choices.

GBGX2 09-10-2016 09:29 AM

There are alternatives !

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 269135)
No offense, and I do love lobster and hollandaise...but...
Hollandaise sauce is made from 2 things - egg yolks and clarified butter. Not real high on the list of healthy choices.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/248...andaise-sauce/

Nutrition information
Serving size: 1 tablespoon
Per serving: 17 calories; 1 g fat(1 g sat); 0 g fiber; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 mcg folate; 14 mg cholesterol; 1 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 45 IU vitamin A; 0 mg vitamin C; 4 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 88 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium

Bigstan 09-10-2016 03:10 PM

I cant let this go on

1 Attachment(s)
With only 1 mention of the best hash going. Someone can call out where it's from. Homemade grilled english muffin (or homemade sourdough toast) and it's the best breakfast going.

Jersey Bob 09-10-2016 03:30 PM

Breakfast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 269209)
With only 1 mention of the best hash going. Someone can call out where it's from. Homemade grilled english muffin (or homemade sourdough toast) and it's the best breakfast going.

I say it's Kitchen Cravings. I'm not a hash eater, but it was great there!

TheTimeTraveler 09-10-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 269209)

The Wolfboro Diner has a breakfast similar to this and they call it "Irish Benedict".

It's excellent and it's $7.99

Well worth checking out (they open at 7:00 am daily).

bigdog 09-10-2016 05:32 PM

Took boat out Friday morning around 10:00am from near Elacoya, smooth running all the way to Meredith docks.

Went to George's Diner in Meredith and had a great breakfast with friends.
Good food, great service at a good price ! :)

Been there many times and never disappointed, definitely would recommend.

It's a 5 minute walk from the docks but worth it !

Slickcraft 09-10-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 269221)
Took boat out Friday morning around 10:00am from near Elacoya, smooth running all the way to Meredith docks.

Went to George's Diner in Meredith and had a great breakfast with friends.
Good food, great service at a good price ! :)

Been there many times and never disappointed, definitely would recommend.

It's a 5 minute walk from the docks but worth it !

Agree, went by boat with friends early last Sunday. Easy walk, good food & service.

Mr. V 09-11-2016 01:01 AM

I'd eaten there a couple years ago and liked it, so this summer I brought "my west coast crew" there for lunch: no dice, way too crowded.

Bigstan 09-12-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 269219)
The Wolfboro Diner has a breakfast similar to this and they call it "Irish Benedict".

They used canned hash, no thanks. I can do that at home. If you are a hash aficionado you learn quickly who makes their own hash (few do) and who does not. It is a world of difference.

pm203 09-12-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 267647)

You got that right!

Meredith_Resident 09-27-2016 04:17 PM

My favorite places are:
Dot's Bread and Butter Bistro in Ashland (Farm to table style breakfast. A little pricy, but you definitely get what you pay for there. They have awesome home made corned beef hash)
Waterfall Cafe; Mill Falls in Meredith (very affordable, great service, awesome coffee, and their fruit cups have fresh fruit...none of that thawed gunk)
And of course Moulton Farm's farm to table breakfast buffet!! I think they really take the cake for breakfast in the Meredith area. We have even been to Church Landing for their brunch buffet and I would choose Moulton's over Church Landing for breakfast any day!

Merrymeeting 09-28-2016 07:07 AM

It's a bit off the beaten path for lake traffic, but if you are in the Rochester/Farmington area, it's tough to beat the breakfasts at The Farmers Kitchen. Delicious food and large portions. So much so that we usually get two breakfasts out of it. That day and leftovers the next.

Like many very good breakfast places, plan on a wait, even on a weekday in the off-season.

GusMan 09-28-2016 02:23 PM

Love Breakfast restaurants!

Hi All.....

Another good breakfast spot on the way to Lake Winnie is Little Miss Sophies... on rte 11 just west of 16/Spaulding Turnpike on the way to Alton. Huge menu, daily specials and a great staff. I love the home made corned beef hash (be warned.... the hash is not traditional in that it has carrots and cabbage along with the CB,potatoes and onions), the biscuits and gravy and many versions of benedict. They also have hash browns or homefries and house made bread.

Small place, but the tables turn over quickly...

Try it out !

Cheers...
Gusman

Slickcraft 10-09-2016 09:47 AM

We boated to Wolfeboro from Welch this morning and had breakfast at the Wolfeboro Diner. Even though we were there early with only a few other early customers, the food service was very very slow. The waitress apologized; new cook was the hold up. She brought free fresh made doughnut holes and coffee refills to ease the wait.

When the food finally got there it was very good albeit not as good as George's . Real home fries with a bit of onion and the over easy eggs were perfect. Ample servings of bacon and sausage. My only complaint, other than the wait, the coffee was a bit weak.

BroadHopper 10-09-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meredith_Resident (Post 270233)
My favorite places are:
Dot's Bread and Butter Bistro in Ashland (Farm to table style breakfast. A little pricy, but you definitely get what you pay for there. They have awesome home made corned beef hash)
Waterfall Cafe; Mill Falls in Meredith (very affordable, great service, awesome coffee, and their fruit cups have fresh fruit...none of that thawed gunk)
And of course Moulton Farm's farm to table breakfast buffet!! I think they really take the cake for breakfast in the Meredith area. We have even been to Church Landing for their brunch buffet and I would choose Moulton's over Church Landing for breakfast any day!

I agree with the above. I will add The Egg Shell in Loudon on 106 and Kitchen Cravings on Rte 11 in Gilford. Kitchen Cravings is featured on NH Chronicle Monday.

NoBozo 10-09-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 270676)
Even though we were there early with only a few other early customers, the food service was very very slow. .

Wolfeboro Diner: Had the same experience three weeks ago. Two other couples in the diner. Maybe 30 minutes to get our breakfast. No donut holes, coffee filups or apologies for us. We never said anything. We just waited. NB

PS: The Front Porch in Wolfeboro and Georges in Meridith were tops..as usual.

kauriel 10-10-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine girl (Post 268663)
Where is Heritage Hill Farm?

Heritage Farm is in Sanbornton and serves amazing breakfast Monday - Saturday. Their menu is available online.

Woody38 10-13-2016 07:55 PM

We stopped at the Union Diner tonight when we arrived in Laconia. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. Our meals were excellent and surely reasonably priced.
Thumbs up.

I an a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not really lazy. I just really enjoy doing nothing.

joey2665 10-13-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 270908)
We stopped at the Union Diner tonight when we arrived in Laconia. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. Our meals were excellent and surely reasonably priced.
Thumbs up.

Going Sunday for my pancake fix.

SAMIAM 10-14-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 270908)
Thumbs up.

I'm with you.....every day I like to hit the ground loafing

TheTimeTraveler 10-15-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 270687)
Wolfeboro Diner: Had the same experience three weeks ago. Two other couples in the diner. Maybe 30 minutes to get our breakfast. No donut holes, coffee filups or apologies for us. We never said anything. We just waited. NB

Went to the Wolfeboro Diner for breakfast this morning and happy to report that the food was great and the service was excellent!

Woody38 10-18-2016 01:48 PM

Quite possibly closed for the year, however we may make a trip back to the lake depending on duties, medical appointments and preparations for the trip to Burbank, CA.
Looking at the breakfast menu at the Water Street Café in Laconia I am surely planning a breakfast visit. I love Belgian Waffles with strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream. Getting hungry writing this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When riches dwindle to a mere competence, then a mere competence becomes a form of poverty.

Smokienorm 10-25-2016 11:10 AM

Best Breakfasts & Lunches on the South of the Lake

1- Kitchen Cravings on Route 11 in Gilford, near the Gilford/Laconia Airport.
2- Water Street Café in Laconia near the Police Station.

Fresh food, quickly and professionally prepared, and excellent friendly service.

Others pale by comparison.

In Meredith, how about George's Diner.

Alpine girl 01-21-2017 05:43 PM

Village kitchen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 267843)
Yep, Village Kitchen is a great place to eat, any meal, always good.

Alpine girl 01-21-2017 05:56 PM

Wolfeboro diner

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 269219)

Always wanted to try it but have never gotten there yet for some reason. Will someday.

ITD 01-21-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine girl (Post 273741)

It's on Rt 25 in Moultonboro.

Directions in the link.

http://www.villagekitchen.us/contact.html

Blyblvrd 01-22-2017 03:49 PM

Village Kitchen is our favorite. I feel like I'm in an old Tennessee breakfast joint. Food is good old home cooking and the staff are all genuine. It's also on the snowmobile trails. As much as I want this place to stay a secret they deserve a great rating, our favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app