Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Geese in Meredith (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17998)

SAMIAM 07-28-2014 09:03 AM

Geese in Meredith

1 Attachment(s)
Really think it's time to take some drastic action about the goose situation in Meredith. This morning there were nearly 100 geese at the north end of Hesky Park and the poop was everywhere. Reached the point where it's a health and water quality issue.
Have no idea what anyone can do about it. Flags work but there is just too much waterfront to be effective.

RailroadJoe 07-28-2014 09:29 AM

Not to good a place to walk barefoot. Pretty bad condition.

secondcurve 07-28-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 229923)
Really think it's time to take some drastic action about the goose situation in Meredith. This morning there were nearly 100 geese at the north end of Hesky Park and the poop was everywhere. Reached the point where it's a health and water quality issue.
Have no idea what anyone can do about it. Flags work but there is just too much waterfront to be effective.

The town needs to get a special permit to exterminate a large quantity of the geese. The average flock probably needs to grow to 300-400 before common sense will prevail.

jeffk 07-28-2014 10:56 AM

400???:eek::eek::eek:

Alfred Hitchcock would be smiling.

Onshore 07-28-2014 11:13 AM

I really think someone should start a recipe book. Perhaps they could become a feature item on the menu of some of the local restaurants.

nhcatrider 07-28-2014 11:23 AM

Baked stuffed, broiled, braised, grilled... Where would you like me to start? lol

meredith weekender 07-28-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhcatrider (Post 229942)
Baked stuffed, broiled, braised, grilled... Where would you like me to start? lol

Reminds me of Forrest Gump, Fried Shrimp, Baked, Shrimp, Grilled Shrimp, BBQ Shrimp, Shrimp Gumbo, etc, etc, etc. LOL:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Onshore 07-28-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhcatrider (Post 229942)

Start with whichever one you can catch first.

tis 07-28-2014 12:07 PM

OH, Sam! That is just awful! What a mess that lawn must be. I know what 2 or 4 can do! Something does need to be done.

nhcatrider 07-28-2014 12:16 PM

Anyone have a very large and very hungry cat?

Pine Island Guy 07-28-2014 02:00 PM

time for action!

SAM - I completely agree that it's time for something to be done, they are over-populating and their by-product is bad for the lake ecology and also a general nuisance...

Although I like Shore Things approach for innovative restaurant menu options... they look mighty bony...

Found the below solution on the internet, no idea if it is really effective, but by observation they do seem to eat a lot of grass (which apparently is where the term "like sh*t through a goose" came from!)

In areas where geese may considered a problem, the primary attraction is turf grass. Since geese are grazers, lawn areas are an inviting source of food for them. ReJex-iT (and other similar products that go by different trade names) is a non-toxic matieral that when applied to turf grass makes it inedible and repulsive to geese. The active ingredient is the same compound that gives concord grapes their characteristic flavor

Of course it doesn't actually bring down the goose population but might drive them to somewhere further away from the lake?

-PIG quack quack

Onshore 07-28-2014 02:12 PM

Or the town/owner could plant a buffer strip of low shrubs or bushes along the water line. If the geese can't see over it from the water they won't try to cross it.

SAMIAM 07-28-2014 02:33 PM

Hate to see any bird or animal hurt but it was disturbing to see the lawn and paved walkway covered with poop.Really not healthy for people and pets.
I have about 75' of beach leading up to the grass and the strings of flags work.Only need them up a week or two and they don't return.
Problem in meredith is the huge shore line.Don't think it would be practical.

Sal 07-28-2014 03:35 PM

I don't know about the efficacy of the loud "boom" of a small noise-producing
canon (or a cherry bomb, if you can find them) but I do know of the immensely
satisfying feeling of watching the offending bird/animal/miscreant skeddadle
at the sound.

AC2717 07-28-2014 07:41 PM

they probably come up on the grass directly and I bet they walk right up the boat ramp

wifi 07-29-2014 02:30 AM

Maybe some loud music played out the window would help !

On a serious note, what types of flags work, and where could one get them?

SAMIAM 07-29-2014 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 230029)
Maybe some loud music played out the window would help !

On a serious note, what types of flags work, and where could one get them?

Good idea......a dose of rap music should do the trick.

upthesaukee 07-29-2014 06:03 AM

Newspapers....

No, not for paper training the geese. :D

Contact the Citizen and the Laconia Daily Sun and invite them out to do a story. Perhaps the town will act faster with the negative publicity out there.

pcmc 07-29-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 230034)
No, not for paper training the geese. :D

Contact the Citizen and the Laconia Daily Sun and invite them out to do a story. Perhaps the town will act faster with the negative publicity out there.

In CT television news dept.s have groups that love to exploit difficult companies, landlords, or issues, ect, that are in need of help. For instance ABC, channel 8, calls it "On your side". This must be wide spread , are there any stations in NH that might be interested in the story?

Happy Gourmand 07-30-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 230033)
Good idea......a dose of rap music should do the trick.

Not sure about geese, but that would sure keep me away.

Just Sold 07-30-2014 01:44 PM

Canada Geese Hunting Season!

CONCORD, N.H. —Those who like to hunt resident Canada geese will find they have a five-bird-per-day bag limit again when the season opens in a few weeks.

Read the rest of the story here: http://www.wmur.com/escape-outside/d...in-nh/27222674

dave603 07-30-2014 01:51 PM

Goose repellant

Sounds stupid but get a large amount of Grape Kool Aid, sprinkle that around were you don't want them. It burns their feet or something about the smell keeps them away.
Only problem is you have to do it again if it rains.

tis 07-30-2014 04:57 PM

I also heard cayenne pepper. A friend used this and said it worked for him.
That is next on my list, or maybe the kool aid.

pcmc 07-30-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave603 (Post 230138)
Sounds stupid but get a large amount of Grape Kool Aid, sprinkle that around were you don't want them. It burns their feet or something about the smell keeps them away.
Only problem is you have to do it again if it rains.

Sounds easy enough , but do you know if it attract ants instead?

Rusty 07-30-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmc (Post 230169)
Sounds easy enough , but do you know if it attract ants instead?

I don't know about ants, but it's sure to attract a few "Liberals". :D

ITD 07-30-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 230172)
I don't know about ants, but it's sure to attract a few "Liberals". :D

Ok, that was funny....:D

dmjr 07-31-2014 02:32 PM

I was over at the boat show this past weekend with friends with small children and I must say it was very disgusting to walk on the feces left on the pavement! The stench from it was just down right gross and they were serving food there. Something needs to be done about the issue.

Retired Ole Guy 08-12-2014 06:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My little buddy is becoming an effective Goose chaser off the property at our condo in Meredith

RI Swamp Yankee 08-12-2014 03:34 PM

Hesky Park - YUK!!!

My wife and I were in Meredith last week and one of our favorite things is to go to Hesky Park and enjoy the view of The Lake. As we sat at one of the tables in the shade I noticed the geese from SAMIAM's picture. Next I looked at the ground around us .... YUK!. We retreated from the park and near the boat ramp we were able to clean off our shoes. Hesky Park has become a disgusting mess. If it were not for Lakeside Deli and their great sandwiches for lunch we would plan to totaly bypass Meredith in the future.

If the town doesn't care about it's visitors then we, as tourists and visitors, certainly don't care about the town. Meredith is no longer a place we want to visit.

As a side note, the grass around the tables at the Lakeside Deli was clean and the sandwiches were still great. My wife still says they have the best tuna salad she has ever had. :liplick:

TiltonBB 08-13-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy (Post 229977)

Found the below solution on the internet, no idea if it is really effective, but by observation they do seem to eat a lot of grass (which apparently is where the term "like sh*t through a goose" came from!)

In areas where geese may considered a problem, the primary attraction is turf grass. Since geese are grazers, lawn areas are an inviting source of food for them. ReJex-iT (and other similar products that go by different trade names) is a non-toxic matieral that when applied to turf grass makes it inedible and repulsive to geese. The active ingredient is the same compound that gives concord grapes their characteristic flavor
-PIG quack quack

I don't remember the name but I bought a product at Agway a few years ago that was sprayed on the lawn. It lasted a while and did an excellent job of detering the geese. The bad news is that it smelled awful and made the property unusable. I even got complaints from the next door neighbor that when the wind was right (or wrong) the smell on his beach was terrible.

So, although it worked I would not use it again. We are getting tired of washing the poop away so maybe it is time to find some flags to put out. Hope that works!

Chickie 08-13-2014 09:43 AM

Fence

I didn't know where I might purchase "flags" as mentioned previously, so I improvised. Tied ropes to posts at an upper and lower level across the area where they come onto my lawn. Took an old sheet I had in my rag bag and tore it into rather wide strips. Tied the strips to the upper rope and let them hang down to about an inch or two from the ground. Not the prettiest sight to behold but they haven't come back since. Had been picking up poop since June - not an activity which added anything to my summer enjoyment. My lawn is now clear of land mines and I no longer have to watch my step.

SAMIAM 08-13-2014 11:22 AM

I bought my flags at that party store on court st in Laconia but homemade works just as well.
I just loop them over stakes so they can be easily removed when we use the beach.

feb 08-13-2014 01:04 PM

Fishing Line Alternative

In lieu of flags, I've also used fishing line strung between the posts. Same results, no geese. And its a bit more invisible for us humans.

4Fun 08-13-2014 03:53 PM

automatic sprayer

I saw a raft this weekend with a motion sensor water sprayer. I looked it up and there are several out there that are battery powered or just conenct to a garden hose.

Not great for a public park but for a private area it would be great.

SteveA 08-13-2014 06:17 PM

The father of a former boyfriend my daughter had many years ago invented this:

http://www.wildgoosechasers.com/flig...-repellent.php

.. sold it to golf courses all over the Northeast and became a very wealthy man!

chipj29 08-14-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Fun (Post 231337)
I saw a raft this weekend with a motion sensor water sprayer. I looked it up and there are several out there that are battery powered or just conenct to a garden hose.

Not great for a public park but for a private area it would be great.

I bought one of those online a couple years ago to deter skunks in my yard. It worked awesome.

tis 08-14-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 231372)
I bought one of those online a couple years ago to deter skunks in my yard. It eworked awesome.

I had two of them and they didn't work.

hilltopper 08-19-2014 01:47 PM

Apparently Meredith is going to try the coyote decoy approach, moving them around often. We'll see, but I'm not hopeful.

HellRaZoR004 08-19-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopper (Post 231625)
Apparently Meredith is going to try the coyote decoy approach, moving them around often. We'll see, but I'm not hopeful.

Doesn't work here in Hudson.

BroadHopper 08-19-2014 03:55 PM

International Politics

Being migratory animals the birds are pretty much protected until all nations agree that the birds are a PITA. It would not surprise me the southern neighbors sell the poops back to us fertilizer! :rolleye2:

tis 08-19-2014 04:19 PM

It didn't work for me. I only bought one coyote but it didn't bother them. They look at all these things at first and then could care.

chipj29 08-20-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopper (Post 231625)

We had 3 or 4 of them next to the small pond where I used to work. The decoys worked for a day or 2. After that the geese paid no attention to them.

secondcurve 08-20-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 231633)
It didn't work for me. I only bought one coyote but it didn't bother them. They look at all these things at first and then could care.

I'll say it one more time. The only way to improve the situation is to reduce the number of geese. Scaring them from one property to the other and back again does absolutely nothing. Even the folks who love fuzzy little birds will be reaching their breaking points soon. These devilish creatures must be controlled in a humane fashion before things will improve.

Merrymeeting 08-20-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 231683)
I'll say it one more time. The only way to improve the situation is to reduce the number of geese. Scaring them from one property to the other and back again does absolutely nothing. Even the folks who love fuzzy little birds will be reaching their breaking points soon. These devilish creatures must be controlled in a humane fashion before things will improve.

And I'll say it one more time...reduce the grass! Not natural as lake shoreline vegetation, and the geese love it!

(Though I also agree, don't understand why they are still a "protected" species)

ApS 08-20-2014 06:43 PM

"River rock" or low-growing Juniper...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 231343)
The father of a former boyfriend my daughter had many years ago invented this:

http://www.wildgoosechasers.com/flig...-repellent.php

.. sold it to golf courses all over the Northeast and became a very wealthy man!

Chasing geese isn't the answer.

What do golf courses and Hesky Park have in common?

Yup, expansive/expensive lawns.

My neighbors and I don't have geese problems, because we let mother nature keep up our yard appearance. There's no point in spending money to have a "perfect lawn", which draws geese; instead, spend $$$—once—for a yard of spreading Juniper or Yew.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...1&d=1406556129

garysanfran 08-24-2014 11:49 PM

Strange that the photo doesn't seem to fit the story...but...

It seems the problem has, at least, been recognized. Blue herons?

http://www.wmur.com/escape-outside/m...e=true#!bJFOvA

wifi 08-25-2014 02:10 AM

Leave it to channel 9 to screw up a simple picture of plentiful geese at Hesky Park....

upthesaukee 08-25-2014 07:14 AM

yup...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 231965)
Leave it to channel 9 to screw up a simple picture of plentiful geese at Hesky Park....

You're right...they are horrible...but they are all ours!!!!:(:eek::rolleye2:

VitaBene 08-25-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 231686)
Chasing geese isn't the answer.

What do golf courses and Hesky Park have in common?

Yup, expansive/expensive lawns.

My neighbors and I don't have geese problems, because we let mother nature keep up our yard appearance. There's no point in spending money to have a "perfect lawn", which draws geese; instead, spend $$$—once—for a yard of spreading Juniper or Yew.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...1&d=1406556129

Sure if you want to spend the summer weeding:)

jeffk 08-25-2014 09:22 AM

Are we not supposed to be having these types of lawns anyway because of fertilizer run off into the lakes?

aquabones 08-26-2014 04:20 AM

If there was sand instead of grass, would that deter the geese.

fatlazyless 08-28-2014 11:09 AM

Just noticed two large, life-sized, white swan decoys floating close to the shoreline at the Inn at Church Point in Meredith Bay. Probably, in my opinion, placed there and apparently tied unseen at anchor on the water and very, very lifelike in appearance ..... by the Inn at Church Point to scare off the canada geese......like what else could they be doing there.....maybe just for looks....who knows? ....... but probably to scare away the geese.....? Seems appropriate too for a wedding venue......two large white swans!

TiltonBB 08-31-2014 09:59 AM

New Name

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 232207)
Just noticed two large, life-sized, white swan decoys floating close to the shoreline at the Inn at Church Point in Meredith Bay. Probably, in my opinion, placed there and apparently tied unseen at anchor on the water and very, very lifelike in appearance ..... by the Inn at Church Point to scare off the canada geese......like what else could they be doing there.....maybe just for looks....who knows? ....... but probably to scare away the geese.....? Seems appropriate too for a wedding venue......two large white swans!

Is that the same place as Church Landing?:)

Grant 09-08-2014 12:32 PM

Get rid of them now. It'll be too late before you know it, and the Lake will be trashed.

I've ranted enough on this forum about what geese can do (and have done, down here in Pennsylvania). They reproduce almost as prolifically as they produce those noxious green tootsie-rolls that will spell the end of Winni water quality.

Good luck.

feb 09-08-2014 01:00 PM

As predicted

As someone predicted, the geese are already sensitized to the coyotes. I had a big laugh when I drove by on Saturday only to see the geese completely surrounding one of the coyotes, munching on the grass around it, enjoying the nice day. The coyote is the one who looked scared...

tis 09-08-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feb (Post 232958)
As someone predicted, the geese are already sensitized to the coyotes. I had a big laugh when I drove by on Saturday only to see the geese completely surrounding one of the coyotes, munching on the grass around it, enjoying the nice day. The coyote is the one who looked scared...

Yep this was my previous post:

I am glad I am not the only one the coyote didn't work for.

aquabones 09-09-2014 05:03 PM

Isn't there an agency that could address the health issue of having this many geese in Meredith? Or isn't the DES concerned about the lake being affected by these geese?

tis 09-09-2014 05:19 PM

Apparently no one is concerned, aqua. I would think they would be.

secondcurve 09-10-2014 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquabones (Post 233042)
Isn't there an agency that could address the health issue of having this many geese in Meredith? Or isn't the DES concerned about the lake being affected by these geese?

The towns people will get there but the situation has to get worse, much worse before reason trumps emotion (the geese are so cute, etc.). Only then will the town apply for a special permit to whack a bunch of the offenders. I think the great goose hunt will occur in 2016, maybe 2017.

aquabones 09-10-2014 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 233069)
The towns people will get there but the situation has to get worse, much worse before reason trumps emotion (the geese are so cute, etc.). Only then will the town apply for a special permit to whack a bunch of the offenders. I think the great goose hunt will occur in 2016, maybe 2017.

The geese might make a nice Christmas dinner.

aquabones 09-10-2014 05:26 AM

I read that the oldest known wild Canada Goose was 30 years 4 months old.
If no one does something about the Meredith geese, we may have them around for a long time!!

Onshore 09-10-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquabones (Post 233042)

DES is concerned about this issue which is why we greatly discourage the planting of lawns immediately adjacent to the water; it is prime goose habitat. It would seem to make more sense to plant the water's edge with shrubs that make the geese feel unsafe than it would be to pay someone, or more ironically a governmental agency, to come and remove the geese.

By the way, I believe goose season is currently open.

dpg 09-10-2014 10:58 AM

Had my dog there in Meredith this summer and I had all I could do to keep him from pulling me into the lake trying to get at them. He scooted them all back into the water in no time at all. I'll ask him how much he'd want an hour for summer employment. :laugh:

secondcurve 09-10-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shore things (Post 233089)
DES is concerned about this issue which is why we greatly discourage the planting of lawns immediately adjacent to the water; it is prime goose habitat. It would seem to make more sense to plant the water's edge with shrubs that make the geese feel unsafe than it would be to pay someone, or more ironically a governmental agency, to come and remove the geese.

By the way, I believe goose season is currently open.

Not planting lawns would have been a good solution if enforced 40-50 years ago. Unfortunately, the lawns aren't going away nor are the geese. The answer to the problem is the town of Meredith needs to apply for a special permit to reduce the flock of resident geese to a sustainable level. As I noted above, this will happen in the next couple of years after the general public's frustration with the problem overpowers the fringe group of extreme environmentalists who typically block logical solutions.

Merrymeeting 09-10-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 233127)
Not planting lawns would have been a good solution if enforced 40-50 years ago. Unfortunately, the lawns aren't going away

Why not?

When I bought my place, there was minimal vegetation on the shoreline. Over time, we've been able to encourage the blueberry bushes to take over along the shore. Not only is it natural and looks good, it keeps the geese away!

secondcurve 09-10-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 233129)
Why not?

When I bought my place, there was minimal vegetation on the shoreline. Over time, we've been able to encourage the blueberry bushes to take over along the shore. Not only is it natural and looks good, it keeps the geese away!

Merrymeeting thank you for returning your property to its natural state. I maintain my shore front in the same manner. Unfortunately, I think it is unrealistic to think enough property owners would be willing to do the same to force the geese out. We need to embrace a more realistic solution such as a special permit to reduce the flock.

Onshore 09-11-2014 07:42 AM

In keeping with Mr. Barnum's oberservation about fools and their money I think there is a great business opportunity here. How about starting a company that specializes in landscape and game management. You could get paid to plant and mow the grass and then get paid to remove the nuisance geese.