Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bacon fat - how do you dispose of it? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14151)

Sal 06-02-2012 12:39 PM

Bacon fat - how do you dispose of it?

We don't cook using bacon fat. As a result, we keep the fat in a can under the sink. Every so often, the can into which we pour the fat gets full and we have to get rid of it.

If we took it to the transfer station (dump), we couldn't put in the "household trash" section because of the can. Since the can is (not really) unclean, we can't put it in with the cans. I could scrape the fat out of the can with a spatula and dump the fat into our "household trash" bag. Is this kosher? (pun intended)

I am not an outdoorsy person, but it occurs to me that some form of wildlife might think bacon fat was delish. But I don't know for sure and I certainly do not want to attract bears and/or critters..

What do YOU do with it?

NoBozo 06-02-2012 12:45 PM

Didn't they used to make Soap out of it..maybe mixed with Lye....WAY back in the day.. (1800s, movin west) :look: NB

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_making#Soapmaking

Scroll down to Cold Process.

Jonas Pilot 06-02-2012 01:03 PM

My technique

We only eat bacon about every once in a while so when we do, we do it up. This leaves us with about a cup or so of grease. The way that works best for me has been to use a tub margarine container. I pour the grease into the tub after it is safe enough to handle. If you wait too long you have to scrape it out and that's much messier. I'll use a couple of paper towels to wipe down the cast iron pan and place them in the tub and put the cap back on. I then secure that in a plastic bag like you get for veggies at the super market. I keep those bags in one of those square cardboard box containers used for tissues.

DEJ 06-02-2012 01:11 PM

Make suet blocks out of it

The birds in the winter will love you if you take your saved bacon grease and pour it into a plastic container similar in size to the suet cakes purchased from bird feed stores. Mix in a handful of sunflower seed, freeze it and then put it in the standard suet cage or on a feeding platform.

NoBozo 06-02-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot (Post 183144)
We only eat bacon about every once in a while so when we do, we do it up. This leaves us with about a cup or so of grease. The way that works best for me has been to use a tub margarine container. I pour the grease into the tub after it is safe enough to handle. If you wait too long you have to scrape it out and that's much messier. I'll use a couple of paper towels to wipe down the cast iron pan and place them in the tub and put the cap back on. I then secure that in a plastic bag like you get for veggies at the super market. I keep those bags in one of those square cardboard box containers used for tissues.

And THEN...??? :look: :look: NB

Jonas Pilot 06-02-2012 01:20 PM

Whoops!

And then I take it to the transfer station where it goes to the burn bin. I think this way keeps it from becoming a mess after I'm done with it and helps with the burn process.

Belmont Resident 06-02-2012 03:30 PM

how about

Before you put the trash out bury it in the middle of the trash bag.
You would be surprised what gets hidden inside trash bags that get picked up or delivered to the transfer station.
Not saying I condon it but if it's gonna cost me and it fits it goes.
I believe bacon fat is not something that would be considered hazardous waste in your trash bag.

Retired Ole Guy 06-02-2012 03:58 PM

Bacon grease

We don't cook bacon that much but when I do I put it in a can or plastic tub and freeze it. We then use it later in season and defrost it till its soft and then coat it in Birdseed, Refreeze and then in winter it gets put out for birds who can't afford to go south

catdon 06-02-2012 03:59 PM

You don't know how it pains me to hear of people disposing of bacon grease! :laugh: I have a metal tub with a built-strainer on top, handily engraved with the word "grease" on it that I keep on my kitchen counter - just like my mom did. My specialty is popcorn made with bacon grease instead of oil and butter! :laugh: YUM!

barefootbay 06-02-2012 04:07 PM

Liquid gold !

Pineedles 06-02-2012 05:01 PM

I agree with barefootbay! Liquid Gold! I have been harvesting my radish crop for several weeks now, but they are coming so fast and furious that I am overwhelmed with radish greens. I desprately searched for some bacon in my freezer to no avail. I cooked up some pork ribs tonight and now have plently of "bacon" gease and liquor to cook up some awesome radish greens tomorrow

Does eanyone wonder why they can't duplicate their Grandmother's recipes? They cooked with natural ingredients!

I know that it is not in vogue to eat bacon, but for those of us who do, here's to you.

BACON< BACON< BACON< BACON YES..............I LOVE BACON!!!

NoBozo 06-02-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catdon (Post 183164)
You don't know how it pains me to hear of people disposing of bacon grease! :laugh: I have a metal tub with a built-strainer on top, handily engraved with the word "grease" on it that I keep on my kitchen counter - just like my mom did. My specialty is popcorn made with bacon grease instead of oil and butter! :laugh: YUM!

Whoooo: That could bring me back to Popcorn. :) This won't hurt my cholesterol readings ..Will It...:D :D NB

Jonas Pilot 06-02-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catdon (Post 183164)

You must be a young whippersnapper.

Rattlesnake Guy 06-02-2012 07:22 PM

Paper towels, newspaper and paper bags soaked with the grease make excellent fire starters. And it smells good as well.

Sunrise Point 06-03-2012 07:11 AM

I used to make dog bisquits for our dogs with bacon grease, wheat flour, wheat germ, eggs and several other ingredients. They smelled pretty good while they were cooking in the oven...the recipe is long-gone, but our dogs used to love their "Bacon Crunchies".

The dogs have passed on and now the fat can goes out in the trash.

I never thought to use it for the birds. I am going to try it this fall.

barefootbay 06-03-2012 06:38 PM

Use it for cooking ,it's wonderful !

Kamper 06-04-2012 06:31 AM

I normally use pre-cooked bacon now but when I do start from 'scratch' I put a few paper towels in the trash and pour the grease on them, or pour it into a butter-tub and throw the whole mess, away.

SIKSUKR 06-04-2012 07:55 AM

If the concern is throwing one measley can into the landfill while you have recycled everthing else I think you're being hard on yourself.If you really want to get every can then do what I do..take a piece of tin foil and round it into a bowl shape,pour in the fat and let it cool.

AC2717 06-04-2012 08:07 AM

save it and using to for the start of spagetti sauce, you must not be italian?? lol
and other things to cook

Chickie 06-04-2012 08:52 AM

Bacon Toast

My Mom used to make "bacon toast" when we were kids. Butter the bread on one side with bacon fat, place the slices face down in a frying pan and brown. Great with your eggs at breakfast. She lived to be 92, so it apparently didn't do too much harm.

CGI3 06-04-2012 01:00 PM

She probably would have lived to be 112 if she had used margarine instead .:liplick:

dpg 06-05-2012 06:26 AM

Seems fit that Samian should chime in bet he has some good suggestions. :D What DOES the VK do with all their breakfast grease anyway?????

donnamatrix 06-08-2012 10:18 AM

Best Bacon

I tried the applewood smoked bacon from North Country Smoked Meats that are now being sold at Shaw's in Gilford. OMG. Excellent bacon, not terribly fatty. The sausages are great too, but can't compare to Karl's Sausage Kitchen in Saugus, MA.

Sal 06-12-2012 08:21 AM

Applewood smoked meats

Expensive but, oh my, you should try THIS place for smoked bacon:
http://www.nueskes.com/

Rangervx 06-12-2012 01:58 PM

make suet for birds...

AmericanBoatClub 06-12-2012 03:07 PM

cooking

How did this thread make it post #16 with out anyone mentioning to cook with it.

Good eats = (insert any food) cooked in bacon grease

Rattlesnake Gal 06-12-2012 04:28 PM

Popcorn!

Mixing some into the butter for popcorn was very tasty! :liplick:
(It's okay because the corn was air popped. :D )

I will not be wasting my treasure on the campfire anymore!

Chickie, bacon toast?!!! Mmmmm! :liplick: I love bacon. :love:

I have recently discovered there is bacon vodka! Gotta try it! :laugh:

Pineedles 06-12-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 183944)
Mixing some into the butter for popcorn was very tasty! :liplick:
(It's okay because the corn was air popped. :D )

I will not be wasting my treasure on the campfire anymore!

Chickie, bacon toast?!!! Mmmmm! :liplick: I love bacon. :love:

I have recently discovered there is bacon vodka! Gotta try it! :laugh:

Bacon Vodka? That would do me in. Definitely.

Rag Top Daze 06-12-2012 06:46 PM

Glass jar

The friendly and helpful guys at the Moultonborough dump told me that our glass jars don't have to be clean. They said if there were "contents" in a jar, we should still put it in the glass recycle bin. So, pour the grease in a glass jar and recycle the jar.

dpg 06-13-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rag Top Daze (Post 183964)
The friendly and helpful guys at the Moultonborough dump told me that our glass jars don't have to be clean. They said if there were "contents" in a jar, we should still put it in the glass recycle bin. So, pour the grease in a glass jar and recycle the jar.

I'm sure they simply mean no need to totally clean the jar before recycling, not putting it in the bin full of something. However just my guess I dunno for sure.

Rattlesnake Guy 06-13-2012 10:32 PM

Absolutly

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanBoatClub (Post 183924)
How did this thread make it post #16 with out anyone mentioning to cook with it.

Good eats = (insert any food) cooked in bacon grease

Every time we cook bacon, we then fry the potatoes and onions in the grease. When the potatoes are done we fry the eggs at a low temperature.

dpg 06-14-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy (Post 184116)
Every time we cook bacon, we then fry the potatoes and onions in the grease. When the potatoes are done we fry the eggs at a low temperature.

Yum...but hopefully your cardiologist is programmed in your cell phone. :eek::eek:

mcdude 06-14-2012 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bacon Flow Chart - B.L.T. anyone?

GsChinadoll 06-14-2012 09:43 AM

Stopped at Burger King last night for a little soft serve and they now have Bacon Sundaes!! :D
And for all of you bacon lovers, it's better for you than margarine, your body knows what to do with natural foods. NOT saying BK is full of natural foods...:eek:

chipj29 06-14-2012 12:31 PM

When I was a young-in’ my Dad used to make basted eggs. He would cook the bacon in an electric griddle. After the bacon was done and out of the pan, he would fry the eggs in the pan. He didn’t flip the eggs, he would spoon the hot bacon grease over the top of the eggs while they cooked, which would cook the top of the egg.
Best. Eggs. Ever! Healthy? Heck no. But that was no question my favorite breakfast.

What he did with the bacon grease after that, I have no idea, nor did I care at my age! For all I know, the eggs absorbed all the grease. :liplick:

SIKSUKR 06-15-2012 01:26 PM

Fixed it for you

For all I know, the kids absorbed all the grease. :laugh:

dpg 06-18-2012 06:07 AM

Got a BACON cheesburger with fries this weekend at my local Five Guys. Yup greasy as hell but who cares...:D:eek: