Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cabinet refacing (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18227)

partridge 09-09-2014 07:45 PM

Cabinet refacing

Hello! This is my first post, so please be kind :o)

We are considering cabinet refacing for our kitchen remodel. Has anyone local had recent experience having this done? Would very much appreciate your input. Thanks!

RLW 09-09-2014 10:01 PM

http://i44.tinypic.com/1499wms.gif partridge, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining up with the Winni members and stating your question. I am more than sure you will get several answers to pick from that can handle your request.:):)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif

bclaker 09-12-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partridge (Post 233058)
Hello! This is my first post, so please be kind :o)

We are considering cabinet refacing for our kitchen remodel. Has anyone local had recent experience having this done? Would very much appreciate your input. Thanks!

We recently had Cleremont Dumont make some additions to our kitchen cabinets and replace the counter tops and were very happy with the quality of his work and the price he charged. He does cabinet refacing, also. His advertisement was in today's Laconia Daily Sun. His telephone number is (603)279-6555.

TiltonBB 09-12-2014 07:28 PM

Paint

1 Attachment(s)
If your cabinets are in good shape and the layout that you want you might consider painting them. I used adhesive (or bonding) primer and the cabinets came out great with minimal expense. No sanding or preparation needed, just take off the hardware and paint. My formerly oak finish cabinets are now a cream color and look great with the new granite counters. Cheap way for a new look.

The bonding primer looked and worked so well that I painted two brass finish ceiling fixtures to match the cabinets.

Jeanzb1 09-13-2014 09:10 AM

YES, YES, YES!!! We had David Lemelin from Loudon, NH (also known as The Kitchen Magician) reface our kitchen cabinets and I cannot say enough good things about him!!!! He can do everything under the sun! He takes the project from A to Z. He's honest, trustworthy and very reasonably priced. We got his name from some very well-to-do friends of ours who just loved him and loved his work -- as did we -- and we have given his name to two friends of ours, both of whom were VERY pleased, also!! Guaranteed, you will not find anyone better or nicer to work with.

Go to his website:

www.kitchenmagician.biz He has lots of pictures on his website, including ours, of kitchens he has done. We will be using him to remodel our bathroom sometime this winter.

His number is 800-439-0685.

HellRaZoR004 09-13-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 233268)
If your cabinets are in good shape and the layout that you want you might consider painting them. I used adhesive (or bonding) primer and the cabinets came out great with minimal expense. No sanding or preparation needed, just take off the hardware and paint. My formerly oak finish cabinets are now a cream color and look great with the new granite counters. Cheap way for a new look.

The bonding primer looked and worked so well that I painted two brass finish ceiling fixtures to match the cabinets. No sanding and the paint really sticks.

Any pictures and recommendations on the paint you used?

Jeanzb1 09-13-2014 10:48 AM

Basically, that's what the Kitchen Magician did for us -- he painted the existing cabinets and then built new doors for them, installed lighting in each one, and we had glass shelves made for each one. New granite countertops, he installed a new backsplash and crown molding, and then we had the wood floor refinished. Looks like a million dollars!!! Go to www.kitchenmagician.biz and then click "home" and scroll across to Pictures #62, 63, and 64 -- that's our new kitchen!!!

Paugus Bay Resident 09-13-2014 11:52 AM

If you want to go the refinishing route, we've used this a number of times on customer's kitchens and get great reviews.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...ransformations

TiltonBB 09-13-2014 03:14 PM

Pictures

3 Attachment(s)
I am not too good at attaching pictures!

The paint and the granite came from Lowes. 5% off if you use a Lowes card.

Interesting fact: If you have a Home Depot card and you ask for the "Lowes discount" at the Home Depot register you will get 5% off there too.

HellRaZoR004 09-13-2014 03:22 PM

That came out really nice. Did you use the rustoleum stuff?

TiltonBB 09-13-2014 04:05 PM

No Rustoleum

I just went out to look at the can. It says: Valspar Bonding Primer, best for glossy surfaces. I painted right over the existing oak cabinets without sanding at all. That was about 2 years ago and they still look good. Inexpensive solution!

loony 09-15-2014 12:33 PM

I have been considering painting my oak cabinets too.

I have friends that had it done years ago. looks great except during the winter when the center panel shrinks exposing the old wood along the periphery. The line and paint edge is very noticeable and looks pretty bad.

is this a problem with these new refinishing systems, or should it simply be done in dry conditions to be safe?

TiltonBB 09-15-2014 01:09 PM

Not sure

I have not had that problem with mine. The cabinets are in an apartment over the boathouse.

I go south in the winter and turn the heat down to 45 degrees. The cabinet doors do not seem to shrink at all, any time of the year. If we do use that apartment at all during the winter the heat is put up to normal temperatures (70 - 72) and even with the large temperature variation they stay the same.

Phantom 09-15-2014 01:39 PM

The heck with the paint --

Look at that view out the slider/ cathedral glass !!

TiltonBB 09-15-2014 04:08 PM

What View?

1 Attachment(s)
Do you mean this One?

Major 09-16-2014 01:56 PM

Lowe's and Home Depot

Lowe's and Home Depot also offer 10% discount for active military (active duty, reserves, and national guard) and for military retirees. It's been my experience that the discount applies to everything.

fpartri497 09-16-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 233422)
Lowe's and Home Depot also offer 10% discount for active military (active duty, reserves, and national guard) and for military retirees. It's been my experience that the discount applies to everything.

add Sears to that list

:D