Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Special Restaurant w/Kids (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21081)

thinkxingu 08-14-2016 05:14 PM

Special Restaurant w/Kids

Hi All,
My 6 and 4-year-olds want to dress up and visit a fancy restaurant. Suggestions on really nice places that would be OK to dress up and visit as a family? They're VERY WELL behaved kiddos, BTW.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

garysanfran 08-14-2016 08:14 PM

My first response...Oh no!

Two screaming kids in a fancy restaurant?

But then I saw that they wanted to dress up like adults, and I think it's great! Perhaps they can learn how to read the menu, understand the options and what questions should be asked of the waiter, what to expect in service and the concept of a "tip".

Please let us know where you chose to go and what the experience was like. A 4 and 6 yr. old are probably not adventurous eaters. What kind of food do they like? Kids can have strange tastes...like preferring their fois gras with Fruit Loops, or something.

thinkxingu 08-14-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 267237)
Two screaming kids in a fancy restaurant?

But then I saw that they wanted to dress up like adults, and I think it's great! Perhaps they can learn how to read the menu, understand the options and what questions should be asked of the waiter, what to expect in service and the concept of a "tip".

Please let us know where you chose to go and what the experience was like. A 4 and 6 yr. old are probably not adventurous eaters. What kind of food do they like? Kids can have strange tastes...like preferring their fois gras with Fruit Loops, or something.

L'il Buddy loves Chicken Saltimbocca and L'il Princess has a taste for roast duck with various glazes. Or mac and cheese for both--whichever is on the kids menu!

But seriously, they're great kids--have never had to leave a restaurant (and we absolutely would if necessary).

We're thinking the Woodshed, but we've heard nice things about O. The Bob House, Canoe, Walter's Basin, etc. are regular haunts for these guys, so we're looking to go up from there.

Acrossamerica 08-14-2016 08:31 PM

Sadly no restaurants that I am aware of in New Hampshire offer the "dress up" fine dining that would wow the children. I highly recommend that you take a trip to Boston and take them to dinner at the Parker House. That is real fine dining that appreciates dressing up.

In my opinion, there is nothing worse than dressing up only to be seated next to a party dressed in polo shirts and chinos. If they wish to dress up make sure the Mrs. and you also dress up which means a blazer and tie for the Mr. and a nice dress for the Mrs. Anything less sends the wrong message to the children who have asked for a dress up evening out.

Enjoy.

surfnsnow 08-14-2016 08:50 PM

lemongrass would be great. get the private room, duck is fantastic and the atmosphere kind of exotic

upthesaukee 08-14-2016 09:21 PM

Lavinia's up in the cupola.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.

thinkxingu 08-14-2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 267243)
Lavinia's up in the cupola.

Looks like only two people for that?

upthesaukee 08-15-2016 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 267244)
Looks like only two people for that?

Never been up there. Just sounded nice when I heard about it. Another thought: Mountainview Grand Hotel in Whitefield has dining in the wine cellar. Other places may offer this as well. I almost think I remember something about that at the Wolfeboro Inn as well.
Good luck with your search. We could take our kids anywhere back in their early youth, and a good thing because my folks liked to take us out to dinner, including some fine dining.

Phantom 08-15-2016 06:47 AM

actually -- the Cupola is very tight seating for 2 ...... unless it has changed recently

kauriel 08-15-2016 08:24 AM

I would call first to make sure children are allowed but Manor on Golden Pond might be good for a fancy dinner.

LIforrelaxin 08-15-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 267238)
L'il Buddy loves Chicken Saltimbocca and L'il Princess has a taste for roast duck with various glazes. Or mac and cheese for both--whichever is on the kids menu!

But seriously, they're great kids--have never had to leave a restaurant (and we absolutely would if necessary).

We're thinking the Woodshed, but we've heard nice things about O. The Bob House, Canoe, Walter's Basin, etc. are regular haunts for these guys, so we're looking to go up from there.

Rule out O, and Canoe.... You can look through posts on this forum... They are not exactly kid friendly.... in fact the last I knew... Canoe had family seating area to keeps kids out of the Dinning room.... and families waiting in line, because the "family Dining area" is not of adequate size.....

Dependent on the Management of the new woodshed... it used to be very family friendly..... Went there as a kid, and brought my kids, before well we won't go there.....

Walter's Basin, has always been kid friendly to my knowledge.....

The main thing as that the kids are respectful and not rowdy, and then I think you will find most restaurants are just fine with kids.... and may even help you make the evening more special for the event...

SAMIAM 08-15-2016 08:52 AM

Lavinia's in the presidents room

ishoot308 08-15-2016 08:56 AM

Interesting...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 267252)
Rule out O, and Canoe.... You can look through posts on this forum... They are not exactly kid friendly....

O's is not family friendly?...Really? This really surprises me!

My wife and I go there quite often since it was open and always see families with young or teenage kids. I have never witnessed anything that would resemble unfriendly or unprofessional service because of the children. Sure they are not going to pass out the coloring books but unfriendly???....

Can you elaborate on what you personally experienced there with your family to make such a statement. It's not that I doubt you, it just really takes me back a bit as we have always received and seen nothing but the best of professional service from everyone there to all who are dining including families with young children....

I can't comment on Canoe as I very rarely go there but O's I have experienced many many times firsthand.

Thanks!

Dan

thinkxingu 08-15-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 267258)

My wife and I go there quite often since it was open and always see families with young or teenage kids. I have never witnessed anything that would resemble unfriendly or unprofessional service because of the children. Sure they are not going to pass out the coloring books but unfriendly???....

Can you elaborate on what you personally experienced there with your family to make such a statement. It's not that I doubt you, it just really takes me back a bit as we have always received and seen nothing but the best of professional service from everyone there to all who are dining including families with young children....

Thanks!

Dan

We've also had great experiences at Canoe.

What I'm looking for, though, is not necessarily something ridiculously high-end, just something that, with a shirt and tie, we'd fit in.

joey2665 08-15-2016 09:03 AM

Canoe and O

I have been dining at both establishments for many years, although my kids are now 10 and 15 I have never had an unpleasant dining experience at both establishments now and when they were much younger. I found them to be very accommodating. I also do not mind eating with them in the bar area or downstairs at Canoe and think its great that you can be with other families with children or when without kids have a nice dinner in an adult only atmosphere.

ishoot308 08-15-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 267259)
We've also had great experiences at Canoe.

What I'm looking for, though, is not necessarily something ridiculously high-end, just something that, with a shirt and tie, we'd fit in.

Then I would recommend O's or the Lyons Den. While both are casual dining atmosphere, you would fit in just fine dressed up. If you like roast duck, the Lyons Den is known for theirs as it is their specialty and both places have awesome Macaroni and cheese!!!

Have fun!

Dan

The Winster 08-15-2016 09:55 AM

How about Lakehouse Grille at Church Landing? It's definitely one of the nicer places around the lake. The dress is probably a little stepped up from the typical "casual attire"for the area.

webmaster 08-15-2016 11:42 AM

IMO Camp in Meredith is the place to bring the kids for a special meal. It's upscale but has unique adirondack decor and menu that has always pleases both the adults and kids in our group. Smores for dessert.

joey2665 08-15-2016 12:12 PM

Camp Last Week

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 267271)
IMO Camp in Meredith is the place to bring the kids for a special meal. It's upscale but has unique adirondack decor and menu that has always pleases both the adults and kids in our group. Smores for dessert.

Attachment 12190

My Sons birthday last week

thinkxingu 08-15-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 267271)

Haven't been, but sounds delightful--would we be overdressed in shirt and tie?

joey2665 08-15-2016 01:17 PM

Not at All

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 267276)
Haven't been, but sounds delightful--would we be overdressed in shirt and tie?

Not at all. Many patrons are guests from the Mills Falls hotel (Which it is attached) whom dress in jackets. Kids will love it there

thinkxingu 08-15-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 267281)
Not at all. Many patrons are guests from the Mills Falls hotel (Which it is attached) whom dress in jackets. Kids will love it there

Great, sounds like we have a winner! I'll report back.

depasseg 08-15-2016 03:08 PM

I think a shirt and tie would fit in at Woodshed. We went a couple weeks ago with our 3 (ages 6-11) and I saw many people dressed up.

Woody38 08-15-2016 06:20 PM

We love seeing families with small children in restaurants. Sometimes it can be a problem. We went to the Dan"l Webster inn in Sandwich for Thanksgiving when we lived on the Cape. Boys were 8 and 5 at the time. An elderly couple were about to be seated next to us when they saw the boys and asked for a different table. None were available. This couple finished there dinner prior to us and stopped to say how wonderful the boys were. No surprise to us as the boys enjoyed dressing up and going for dinner. It's all in the parenting.

You can't spoil a child. You can create a brat. I tell everyone my wife tried and they were not spoiled. Today, both good men.

I am a retired workaholic and a continuing aquaholic.

BroadHopper 08-16-2016 10:44 AM

Pass the Grey Poupon

For upscale dining you may need to go to the Bedford Village Inn, Mt Washington Hotel, Wentworth by The Sea or the Mountain View Grande. All are kid friendly and last I knew, a dress code.

You could try the Steele Hill Inn, although its more casual.

noreast 08-16-2016 01:53 PM

I agree with woody38 100%, we've been taking our kid's to about any restaurants we go to since they were tiny, except for a slight regurgitation issue, they've never been an Issue. Some are not so lucky, I understand. My youngest (now 16) has been taking his girlfriend out to dinner for a couple of years. It's funny to see such a little puke order, Interact & tip. We made sure he understood not to skimp on the tip.

hd333 08-16-2016 03:45 PM

Special Restaurant w/Kids

I vote for Lavinia's. You can dress up there and the atmosphere there is what you make it. Reserve a table in the dining room and dress is fancier, in the Tavern, not so much.
Another option could be the Corner House in Sandwich, dining room can be viewed as fancy. Plus it is secluded and that may make the kiddos think it is even more special.

I'd say the Camp, while a nice spot, would not fit the bill as a fancy place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joebon 08-16-2016 05:46 PM

Mise en Place in Wolfeboro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

secondcurve 08-16-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 267258)

I can't comment on Canoe as I very rarely go there but O's I have experienced many many times firsthand.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan: I couldn't agree with you more. We took the kids to their new restaurant in Wolfeboro and the service, food and atmosphere were very impressive. My kids gave the place an A+

thinkxingu 08-25-2016 07:51 PM

Decided on Camp for our "nice dinner out." Kids and we dressed up and had a fine dinner--service was excellent, as was the food (I'm not a huge fan of CM in general, but tonight's meal was excellent).

As for dress, it was interesting: almost every woman was dressed nicely but only about 25% of men were. In either case, in shirts/ties and dresses we didn't stand out and L'il Buddy and L'il Princess both got compliments on their apparel and behavior.

$111 with tip for drinks (no alcohol) two appetizers, two adult and two kids meals, and two desserts. Blew our experience at Nolan's last month out of the water.

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Acrossamerica 08-25-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 268112)
Decided on Camp for our "nice dinner out." Kids and we dressed up and had a fine dinner--service was excellent, as was the food (I'm not a huge fan of CM in general, but tonight's meal was excellent).

As for dress, it was interesting: almost every woman was dressed nicely but only about 25% of men were.
Thanks for the suggestions, all!

I always find it interesting and sad how many men show how little they care about their well dressed wives or lady friends by showing up in working in the garden attire. We all know most men would be like the cave dwellers if given half a chance but how about when out with your ladies showing some respect.

Woody38 09-27-2016 11:53 AM

Went to Camp Last Saturday night. Surely nothing upscale in my mind.
Extremely noisy as all the surroundings are hard, mostly wood. One member of our party ordered the meatloaf. It looked gross with some disgusting sauce. She couldn't eat it as the sauce was also in the meat. The other dinners were good. Fish and chips, pot roast was excellent fork tender. Service was slow. It took forever for drinks to arrive. They did not charge for the meatloaf.
Children were present, one obnoxious boy and a little brother and sister who were very cute and well behaved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is not about waiting for the storm to end. Life is about dancing in the rain.

Doobs41378 09-27-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 270207)
Went to Camp Last Saturday night. Surely nothing upscale in my mind.
Extremely noisy as all the surroundings are hard, mostly wood. One member of our party ordered the meatloaf. It looked gross with some disgusting sauce. She couldn't eat it as the sauce was also in the meat. The other dinners were good. Fish and chips, pot roast was excellent fork tender. Service was slow. It took forever for drinks to arrive. They did not charge for the meatloaf.
Children were present, one obnoxious boy and a little brother and sister who were very cute and well behaved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is not about waiting for the storm to end. Life is about dancing in the rain.

I agree about it not being upscale. Our party enjoyed ourselves but I would have felt out of place in a jacket and tie there. There was a beautiful wedding going on in the next room while we were there.