Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Repair sheared shaft on 2001 GTS SeaDoo? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13988)

Pineedles 05-07-2012 06:28 PM

Repair sheared shaft on 2001 GTS SeaDoo?

It may be an easy answer but I have a sheared shaft on my 2001 GTS SeaDoo. The guy I use says that it will probably cost more than the watercraft is worth to repair. The work would entail replacement of the shaft that connects from the engine to the jet pump. Replacement of the crankshaft, and of course to get to these things, lifting the engine. Say last rights over this POS? It's been nothing but a PIA for years. Anyone want it for parts? Replaced engine in 2006, with a rebuilt from the manufacturer. PM me.

NoBozo 05-07-2012 07:01 PM

It depends HOW the sheared shaft looks...A clean break......OR was it twisted..? Manufacturers make parts in "Lots" of say 10 to 100 pieces. If the "Lot" was improperly Heat Treated ..it may be too HARD..Brittle. It might fracture in a matter of hours. If it is too soft..it will Twist.

Heat Treating of the final part is very important.. and VERY time/temperature sensitive during the process.........:look: NB

Pineedles 05-07-2012 07:43 PM

Thanks NB, I will ask my marine guy, but either way I think that it is RIP for this watercraft.

Winnisquamguy 05-08-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 181466)
It may be an easy answer but I have a sheared shaft on my 2001 GTS SeaDoo. The guy I use says that it will probably cost more than the watercraft is worth to repair. The work would entail replacement of the shaft that connects from the engine to the jet pump. Replacement of the crankshaft, and of course to get to these things, lifting the engine. Say last rights over this POS? It's been nothing but a PIA for years. Anyone want it for parts? Replaced engine in 2006, with a rebuilt from the manufacturer. PM me.

What are you looking to get for it, and does it come with a trailer? What kind of shape is the rest of the Doo in?

Pineedles 05-08-2012 07:11 AM

I'll PM all who have questions regarding possible purchase.:)

chipj29 05-08-2012 05:07 PM

Which shaft was sheared, the drive shaft or the crankshaft? If it is the crankshaft, then yes you have to remove the engine to replace. That entails a lot of work. Probably over $2k. If it is just the driveshaft, it shouldn't be a big repair job. IMHO.

Pineedles 05-08-2012 07:56 PM

Driveshaft sheared but crankshaft also needs replacement, so I think you're right on, with the cost.

chipj29 05-09-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 181570)
Driveshaft sheared but crankshaft also needs replacement, so I think you're right on, with the cost.

2001 GTS is probably not worth a lot more than $2500, maybe $3k if you sold it mid-season. So depending on how much you are willing to put into it, it might be best selling it to someone who can fix it up for themselves.
Another option could be to part it out yourself and sell the parts on ebay. You could make more $$ that way, but would take a bit of work.

Pineedles 05-09-2012 07:14 PM

Thank you Chipj29. I appreciate your assessment of the situation. I am preparing to set a price for the watercraft.