Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Riding on bow with bow rail (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22103)

Prestige Worldwide 06-12-2017 04:47 PM

Riding on bow with bow rail

1 Attachment(s)
Last weekend I saw multiple boats similar to mine with bow rails and passengers on the bow.

Is this legal in NH at any speed?Attachment 13041

Hillcountry 06-12-2017 04:54 PM

I HOPE SO! :D
Realistically, at slow speeds, why not?
At speed, however, is another story altogether that MAY have something to do with common sense...

ITD 06-12-2017 05:22 PM

Feet hanging over not so much.

jetlag100 06-12-2017 05:53 PM

Bow

You can ride,but no feet over the edge...got spoken to years ago by Marine Patrol because I was doing just that....

Barney Bear 06-12-2017 07:42 PM

MP Visit

Officer Studmuffin may come by to check on things. 👮🏻

SAB1 06-12-2017 08:04 PM

When I was stopped for this the mp told me it is legal only if there is a built in seat up there. No seat = not legal.

Descant 06-12-2017 09:21 PM

Rsa 270

Here's the law:
270-D:7 Riding on Gunwales, Bow and Transom. – No person shall operate a motorboat or ride as a passenger in a motorboat while sitting on either the starboard or port gunwales or the transom, and no person shall straddle the bow while the motorboat is in operation underway.
Source. 1990, 171:1, eff. June 26, 1990.
I guess it's OK on a sailboat. In any event the lay in post #1 appears to be well within the law.

A variety of poses would allow greater exploration of the law, but I'm sure that would be beyond the scope of this forum, and totally inappropriate. The RSA is very clear unless you own some other type of vessel.
Good excuse for posting a fine example of how to interpret the RSA. Thank you.

Descant 06-12-2017 09:24 PM

Reexamining the thread:
We probably need more pix to have a definitive discussion.

ITD 06-12-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 280019)
Here's the law:
270-D:7 Riding on Gunwales, Bow and Transom. – No person shall operate a motorboat or ride as a passenger in a motorboat while sitting on either the starboard or port gunwales or the transom, and no person shall straddle the bow while the motorboat is in operation underway.
I guess it's OK on a sailboat. In any event the lay in post #1 appears to be well within the law.

A variety of poses would allow greater exploration of the law, but I'm sure that would be beyond the scope of this forum, and totally inappropriate. The RSA is very clear unless you own some other type of vessel.
Good excuse for posting a fine example of how to interpret the RSA. Thank you.

Probably not as dangerous on a sailboat. On a power boat, if you fall off while breaking this law, you get turned into minced meat by the prop, almost guaranteed, before the captain can chop the power. Not a smart place to ride.

Riding on the bow, not hanging over the edge, especially with rails, seems fine to me.

Barney Bear 06-13-2017 05:20 AM

Turn! Turn!

If a person falls off the bow of a powerboat, the operator should turn immediately in the direction of the person overboard.

tis 06-13-2017 06:19 AM

If there are railings around you can sit up there as long as your feet aren't dangling over the side.

Dad sold the C * C 06-13-2017 07:02 AM

My thanks button to Barny Bear:)

It makes sense, not sure I would have though of turning towards to person... I like to think I would have.

TiltonBB 06-13-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 280036)
If there are railings around you can sit up there as long as your feet aren't dangling over the side.

That is news to me. What law requires railings to sit on the bow?

Knomad 06-13-2017 07:20 PM

Though the law does not make riding on the bow while underway illegal, is it really safe? It's like riding on the hood of your car driving down a bumpy road.

kawishiwi 06-14-2017 12:07 AM

Stupid is as stupid does...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knomad (Post 280080)
Though the law does not make riding on the bow while underway illegal, is it really safe? It's like riding on the hood of your car driving down a bumpy road.

I am sure hitting a rock or an unexpected wake would not unleash the physics required to sail such a rider over or under the railing leaving only moderate bruising on the parts that actually contact the rail as the rider accelerates into an unscheduled swim followed closely by the unscheduled "dodge the meat grinder" activity following close behind.

feb 06-14-2017 06:16 AM

Pontoon Boats

Worse is people, or even worse kids, sitting in the front of a pontoon bot dangling their feet in the water rushing under the boat. A few extra inches of water hitting them and they'll be sucked right under the boat.

tis 06-14-2017 06:21 AM

Tilton, I don't know what law it is. I only know what Marine Patrol told us. I am sure you can look it up if you want. Do you not like me? It seems you always question my posts.

TCC 06-14-2017 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 280019)

In a nutshell, RSA 270-D:7 specifically refers only to:
- motor boats. It would be probably wise to assume that a sailboat moving under motor power would be covered under this prohibition.
- underway. The prohibition clearly does not apply to craft that is not moving under power.
- sitting. Having one's butt planted on the gunwales or transom (regardless of whether one's legs are inside or outside the boat), or straddling the bow (i.e., legs outside the boat).

Barring other regulations related to this topic, the person in the OP's photo would not be in violation of the law.

For you motor boaters, sailing often involves "hiking", which necessarily requires getting the body onto (and well outside of) the gunwales, making such a rule nonsensical if applied to boats under sail.

IMO, enacting laws in an effort to protect adults from their own poor judgement and immaturity is an abuse of the legislative process and serves no one.

BroadHopper 06-14-2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlag100 (Post 280007)
You can ride,but no feet over the edge...got spoken to years ago by Marine Patrol because I was doing just that....

A MP officer told us that everyone must remain in the cockpit when underway. No one is allowed on the bow, gunwales, or stern when vehicle is underway. That includes cabin cruisers that have bow rails and or lounge seats on the bow.

This happen when my friend who has a 40' Regal with lounge chaise on the bow section. We were hailed going through the channel with girls on the chaise.

Maybe Officer Studmuffin was jealous?

upthesaukee 06-14-2017 06:58 AM

I have a bowrider, so overall not much to do with this except with those in the bow section, who decide they want to kneel on the cushions while under way, hear a resounding "on your butts!" From the "Captain". Seldom does it have to be repeated. 😆

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Skip 06-14-2017 07:08 AM

Relevant Supreme Court Brief

Broadhopper brings up an important point based on his real world experience: we can parse the meaning of particular statutes here on-line, but actual implementation by officers in the field can be quite different than out interpretations.

Below is an interesting Supreme Court decision regarding a fatality resulting from a person bow riding (and an intoxicated operator). Rather lengthy, but of interest is the MP's testimony that if he had observed someone riding on the bow he would have cited the operator. While the "straddling" portion of the RSA is cited, the officer clearly interprets this as "riding" on the bow.

As always it is fun and educational to debate these topics here, but a quick call to MPHQ should resolve just what the actual law enforcement policy is.

https://www.courts.state.nh.us/supre...16025cable.pdf

JADAQ 06-15-2017 03:14 AM

Friend of mine back in the 80's was on the bow, hit a wave and he went over.
Prop strike severed his leg, he died before they got to the Wolfeboro docks..

Is it worth it?

Blyblvrd 06-15-2017 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JADAQ (Post 280144)

Is it worth it?

I was in a fraternity with the Francis brothers when that happened. Super sad story and one I tell my boys when we boat on Winnipesaukee. My hope is they understand and respect how dangerous boating can be.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

tis 06-15-2017 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 280102)
A MP officer told us that everyone must remain in the cockpit when underway. No one is allowed on the bow, gunwales, or stern when vehicle is underway. That includes cabin cruisers that have bow rails and or lounge seats on the bow.

This happen when my friend who has a 40' Regal with lounge chaise on the bow section. We were hailed going through the channel with girls on the chaise.

Maybe Officer Studmuffin was jealous?

That is interesting. I guess it depends on the officer?

Skip 06-15-2017 11:39 AM

Officer's discretion.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 280149)
That is interesting. I guess it depends on the officer?

Yes....a lot more than many folks think or suspect! An officer's discretion carries most of the weight in encounters like this. :)

ghfromaltonbay 06-15-2017 11:57 AM

Ironic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JADAQ (Post 280144)

Is it worth it?

This accident occurred on June 14, 1988. Ironic it was mentioned in this thread on 6/15. I knew most of the guys on the boat. A sad memory.

Dblblkdiam 06-16-2017 12:00 PM

Yeah there is definitely a lot of gray area with this one. Agree that it's really how the law is enforced.

I was on a center console fishing boat years ago going through a no wake, the only 2 seats were behind the wheel. While going though the channel, we got stopped & MP said I was sitting on the gunwale which was about waist high. I defined it more as leaning against. I would say the way I was sitting (or not ;) ) was safer than the picture above so better not give them a reason to stop you.