Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Windy Ride! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13939)

ishoot308 04-27-2012 07:01 AM

Windy Ride!

It was one heck of a windy ride this morning coming in from Welch!! We had 3' foot waves this morning going into Glendale and most likely 4+ footers in the broads. Winds are not expected to diminish until early tomorrow (Saturday) night.

If your coming up for the weekend, be prepared for the wind!

Be safe!

Dan

Belmont Resident 04-27-2012 07:04 AM

Dan

From what I saw it is going to be windy all weekend and below normal temps to boot. Frost warning through Sunday as well.
Be safe.

Lakepilot 04-27-2012 06:17 PM

I was out today in the boat and the waves were 4' with a short period. Really cold and nasty. I was south of Wolfeboro, with the wind coming all the way down the broads.

ishoot308 04-27-2012 08:27 PM

Wind Still Real Bad

We came back out to the island after work late this afternoon. We left the Glendale docks around 6:00 P.M. We hit 4'+ waves as soon as we rounded the corner near Belknap point. All the way out to Welch the waves were the worse I have seen other than during last years hurricane. We made it to the island safely and without incident in my Manitou tritoon. I would not have attempted it in my Eastern 22'.

It's 9:30 P.M. now and the winds have only got worse with speeds averaging 20 MPH and gusting to 30 mph on my weather station. I don't think I will be trolling for salmon in the morning!! :D

To those who decided not to come out for the weekend, I don't think you will be missing much!

Hope everyone has a great weekend wherever you end up!

Dan

Slickcraft 04-28-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 180850)
We came back out to the island after work late this afternoon. We left the Glendale docks around 6:00 P.M. We hit 4'+ waves as soon as we rounded the corner near Belknap point. All the way out to Welch the waves were the worse I have seen other than during last years hurricane. We made it to the island safely and without incident in my Manitou tritoon. I would not have attempted it in my Eastern 22'.

It's 9:30 P.M. now and the winds have only got worse with speeds averaging 20 MPH and gusting to 30 mph on my weather station. I don't think I will be trolling for salmon in the morning!! :D
Dan

Good you made it over OK, docking must have been interesting. The Slickcraft is going to rest in its quiet covered slip for the weekend.

kchadw 04-28-2012 07:14 AM

Looked on the Littleton web cam this morning and its snowing up there...sounds like Ole Man Winta just doesn't want to let go with the winds on the lake and snow up north...Still ok to plant the peas but not the maters...

The lake still looks nice without the ice..!

SteveA 04-28-2012 09:57 AM

Crazy Windy this morning!

5 Attachment(s)
The wind was pounding the shoreline at Lake Shore Park this morning at sunrise. Ice was forming on the rocks and bushes.

Attachment 6076

Attachment 6077

Attachment 6078

Attachment 6079

Geneva Point 04-29-2012 07:30 AM

As I was driving on the highest part of Moultonborugh Neck Road yesterday afternoon my wife noticed one of the mountains looking north in the distance was completed snowed capped. Just wondering if anyone can confirm for me that it was Mount washington?

Sal 04-29-2012 07:56 AM

Confirmed.
There's a big old house at the corner of Moultonborough Neck Road and Ferry Road. The view behind the house is of the White Mountains and, depending on conditions, you can see Mt. Washington clearly, framed by other two other mountains.

Pricestavern 04-29-2012 10:35 AM

Windy Sunday

Another windy day here on Rattlesnake. Looking towards Wolfboro watching the huge swells roll by. A Marine Patrol boat motored/drifter slowly by heading south, intermittently visible atop the crests and disappearing into the troughs. If it doesn't abate a little this afternoon we may not make it back to NY for work on Monday. As you may imagine, we are rooting for the wind. Our 20' Key West is very sea worthy, but with the water temp being what it is, if things go south it will happen quickly and we wouldn't last long. Besides, I wouldn't want to ruin Marine Patrol's Sunday.

tis 04-29-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geneva Point (Post 180901)
As I was driving on the highest part of Moultonborugh Neck Road yesterday afternoon my wife noticed one of the mountains looking north in the distance was completed snowed capped. Just wondering if anyone can confirm for me that it was Mount washington?

We saw Mt Washington from Rte. 28 in Alton this morning and it is indeed snow capped! Very pretty.

RLW 04-29-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 180870)
The wind was pounding the shoreline at Lake Shore Park this morning at sunrise. Ice was forming on the rocks and bushes.

Attachment 6076

Attachment 6077

Attachment 6078

Attachment 6079

Your fun with your camera is sure our pleasure. Love your photos.
While here may I ask if you have been by the Osprey nest to see how they are doing and if they took residence in the new nest.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif

Jeanzb1 04-29-2012 06:23 PM

Fa-fa-fa-freezing!

We left south Florida on Friday at 4:30 a.m. and arrived at the lake at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday. 1,550 miles. We cheered and clapped as the first glimpse of the lake came into view on Route 11 (snow-capped Mt. Washington included!) Today the wind is really wicked, which makes it feel even colder than the 44 degrees showing on our thermometer. eeeekkkkkk! So now we're ready for the summer sunshine!!!!! (But in case you can't tell, we're very happy to be back, regardless of the weather!!!)

Rattlesnake Gal 04-30-2012 05:49 AM

Wicked West Wind

Welcome home Jeanzb1!

So far this morning looks great! No wind. Yesterday started this way too and in an instant the blow started once again. :eek: Hope it is a great day for a cruise!

Prices Tavern, did you stay marooned on the island to play hookie today? :D

WinterHarborGirl 04-30-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geneva Point (Post 180901)

I believe what you are seeing is Mt. Washington...My husband and I look over there every time we come by to see if there is snow!!!!!

riverat 04-30-2012 06:44 PM

Speaking of Osprey

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLW (Post 180921)
Your fun with your camera is sure our pleasure. Love your photos.
While here may I ask if you have been by the Osprey nest to see how they are doing and if they took residence in the new nest.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif

Check this video out.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXn...layer_embedded