Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Super Wal-Mart comes to Tilton (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10209)

Irish mist 06-24-2010 02:14 AM

Super Wal-Mart comes to Tilton

A Super Wal-Mart comes to Tilton. Wal-Mart is going to expand the current store in Tilton & add a food store. It's about time.....This is the first Super Wal-Mart near the Lakes Region. If this does not kill off the over priced & empty Shaw's in Tilton nothing will.

Belmont Resident 06-24-2010 04:53 AM

whats your point?

I could see if it was coming to Laconia. But with Market Basket right next door I do not see how it will have any effect on Shaws. Those going to Shaws with MB on the other side of exit 20 obviously do so because they want to not because they have no choice like those of us in the Laconia/Gilford area.
Walmart might save you a few bucks but I'd be more likely to trust the meat and produce products from Shaws before I trust them from Walmart
Now if MB was opening a store in Laconia, that would be worth shouting about.

Lakesrider 06-24-2010 05:42 AM

So with competition now from a Super-Wally Mart will the Market Basket store lower prices even more to compete? Now this would be something to shout about alright.:D

AC2717 06-24-2010 06:41 AM

Wow I bet FLL will be all over this

Sorry had to be the first to say something:D

hilltopper 06-24-2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish mist (Post 131041)
This is the first Super Wal-Mart near the Lakes Region.

On the north end of the lake we have the Plymouth Super WalMart if we ever felt the need (which we didn't).

I'm with Belmont Resident...if this pushes MB prices down in Tilton I'm all for it!

Lucky1 06-24-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 131044)
I could see if it was coming to Laconia. But with Market Basket right next door I do not see how it will have any effect on Shaws. Those going to Shaws with MB on the other side of exit 20 obviously do so because they want to not because they have no choice like those of us in the Laconia/Gilford area.
Walmart might save you a few bucks but I'd be more likely to trust the meat and produce products from Shaws before I trust them from Walmart
Now if MB was opening a store in Laconia, that would be worth shouting about.

I would love BOTH a Walmart and a Market Basket in Moultonborough? Wonder if that old Star Market site in Meredith would fit either a Market Basket or a Walmart?

dpg 06-24-2010 10:44 AM

FLL - We need some expert opinion here. Would you care to comment on the situation? :laugh::laugh::eek:

Heaven 06-24-2010 10:55 AM

I avoid unpackaged food from WalMart, , ick! , , and now I read that perhaps their honey, which is imported, is cut with corn syrup . . . figures.

Tomt 06-24-2010 06:56 PM

These ships go back to China empty.

http://www.politicalravings.com/ever...rom-china.html

bigdog 06-24-2010 08:34 PM

Super Wal-Mart comes to Tilton

I have a SUPER Walmart at my other home location in Mass. I buy a ton of goods there, you just can't beat the prices.
quality. However, I DO NOT shop for grocery items there. IMO, I think the quality of meats, produce and seafood at Wal-Mart,
is sub-quality, compared to Market Basket and Hannaford. I don't shop Shaw's as they tend to be higher than the others.

Don't think a SUPER Wal-Mart in Tilton will affect business at Shaw's or Market Basket. I think people are loyal to grocery stores, and demand better quality, Wal-Mart just doesn't deliver IMO.

Up at Winnie I shop in Gilford: Hannaford or Shaw choices

BD

jmen24 06-25-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakesrider (Post 131047)
So with competition now from a Super-Wally Mart will the Market Basket store lower prices even more to compete? Now this would be something to shout about alright.:D

No. MB in Tilton has the same prices as Concord and Lee and Swanzey, etc. Concord competes directly with the Walmart on the Heights, the prices did not change when that store went Super. And there is a reason why and the way for you to access the reason is below.

Take some time and make a list of you groceries and bring that list to both stores and see what you would save from one over the other. That is the only way to truely get an accurate feeling of savings from one store. By doing two different grocery shoppings, you will likely by more at one vs the other, because who really buys the exact same thing every week.

Just be ready, if you are not buying anything and just writing down prices they may ask you to leave (I would suggest actually doing the groceries at MB (cause that is all they sell) and then when you go to Walmart for something else bring that same list and just write down the prices). Happens to my wife every once in a while and to the Walmart spy at MB as well. You will truely be surprised at the results, don't take my word for it, go out and do it. Just keep it the same, Name brand for Name brand or store for store.

You will need to do this on the same week, as both stores adjust product pricing weekly, not on everything but some things. MB changes in POS take affect on Sunday morning every week.

Good Luck and do not forget to post your results, one way or the other, does not matter. It may just help someone else out. Everyone shops differently and a savings for one person does not guarantee a savings for someone else.

no-engine 06-26-2010 06:28 PM

I don't think the super wally with food have passed all the local planning boards! Not done till it's done!!!!

phoenix 06-26-2010 08:03 PM

old star market site in Meredith will become the annalee doll outlet

Rattlesnake Guy 06-26-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 131230)
old star market site in Meredith will become the annalee doll outlet

I am tearing up. Now my life is complete. :D

SAMIAM 06-27-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy (Post 131237)
I am tearing up. Now my life is complete. :D

For many years, lots of locals worked for Annalee, making dolls at home which was perfect for single mom's and part timers........I understand they are made in China now

RI Swamp Yankee 06-27-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 131246)
For many years, lots of locals worked for Annalee, making dolls at home which was perfect for single mom's and part timers........I understand they are made in China now

Yes, just before Annalee passed away they started making them in China. The "Factory in the Woods" and the home workers are long gone. :(

(yes, off topic)

JonLevis 06-28-2010 02:47 PM

Even if a WalMart comes in, there are very few late choices. Last week my 1 year old was in a cranky mood so i figured I will give him motrin to help him sleep. Much to my dismay, it was not in the diaper bag. No problem, I thought...there is CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, WalMart and a host of others around, one must be 24-hours. After 1.5 hours I ended up buying infant tylenol for almost $10 at a 24-hour gas station. We need a more convenient store with "parent's hours"!

Belmont Resident 06-28-2010 04:49 PM

no late choices because

This area is tourist driven there isn’t enough customers to justify having 24 hour stores.
Why do you think you are always hearing about how things go back to normal after Labor Day weekend and all the tourists leave?
Just look at how many CVS, Walgreens, Right aid etc. there are just between Gilford Shaw’s and Laconia. Don’t think you will see a 24 hour anything in this area for a long time.
Not a lot of manufacturing business in this area and more leaving all the time.
An increase in businesses is what will bring 24 hour stores, not tourists.