Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Area WebCAMs (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Meredith Bay Cam (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4175)

BoulderBronco 01-19-2007 04:26 PM

Meredith Bay Cam

Is there no Camera shot of Meredith bay? I am in Colorado so it's a little tough to go look. Anyone live on the bay that could set one up or take some pics? My parents have a house up there but they live in Mass and wouldn't have the fist clue as how to set up a camera.

This'nThat 01-19-2007 04:48 PM

Try this link. There are a lot of cameras to choose from, all on one page.http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/lakecams.htm

HomeWood 01-19-2007 04:58 PM

I wish I could put a camera up at my grandparents place in Moultonbrough. I don't have a clue how to do it and then keep it going. :confused:

SteveA 01-20-2007 07:23 AM

Meridith webcam

There was a cam in Meridith.. that showed the bay.

WMUR-TV 9 used to show it on their website... but I can't find it:confused:

Waterbaby 01-20-2007 07:31 AM

WMUR Camera

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA

Hi Steve - It's still there, on top of the Bay Point Inn (I think that's the name)....... WMUR has a satellite office in that building and that's their own camera.

Weirs guy 01-20-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA

I think it was one they ran from there Meredith studio? Maybe on their website, but then again maybe I'm full of it....:confused:

BoulderBronco 01-22-2007 10:10 PM

so is it still there? Anyone have a link for it?

Island Girl 01-23-2007 06:20 AM

Other RattlesnakeCam pages

www.rattlesnakecam.com/lakecams.htm
www.rattlesnakecam.com/icein.htm
www.rattlesnakecam.com/pictures.htm (when snake eyes gets power again)
www.rattlesnakecam.com

IG

SteveA 01-23-2007 06:41 AM

WMUR Cam

I can't find it online... I sent a note to WMUR -TV and they have not replied.

They show the shot on the TV news occasionally. I'm assuming it is not a public camera.

BoulderBronco 01-23-2007 01:06 PM

Thanks for the links Girl but I have seen them and none of them show Meredith bay. Steve, let me know if you hear back from them and get a link or something to the camera.
Thanks.

CanisLupusArctos 01-24-2007 10:39 AM

There are all kinds of cameras that can be used for web cam shots. As far as I know, all of them require an outdoor enclosure to be used outdoors, and supercircuits.com has some of the lowest prices on those. They also sell cameras of varying prices. Most of the cameras can't operate in temps far below freezing, so they need a heated outdoor enclosure. Netcam (www.stardot-tech.com) can operate down to -40 degrees, and is one of the best. Axis Communications also makes great stuff.

The kind of camera you want is called a Network Camera - meaning it has a built-in minicomputer so it doesn't need any help sending your images to the web. You CAN use a normal web cam (like the kind that people use for video chat) and those now have great picture and video quality. However, you have to keep it warm and dry, and you have to have it working with a computer that's always on. I know of one cam operator in Michigan who uses such a setup to provide a snowmobile trail cam shot. He built a watertight shack for the computer (trailside) and the camera sits in a PVC electrical junction box that he modified as a camera enclosure. The computer provides enough heat for the camera, which produces a little bit of its own heat.

For help setting up a web cam, google the phrase, "setting up a scenic web cam" or something like that. You'll get plenty of results to sift through, and many of them are private parties who've decided to share their knowledge and experience--some even provide step-by-step pictures they took of their own set-up process. They also share cost-saving tips and how to jury-rig things that would otherwise be expensive.

I often see the WMUR shot of Meredith Bay on the weather reports. I believe their bay-cam is actually a TV camera permanently mounted to the building. As far as I can tell, it's not on their web site, but it would probably be listed under "Sky Cams" in the weather section if it was.

Island Girl 01-24-2007 10:54 AM

Weather yes, heat no

I have operated Snake Eyes for two years in a weather proof, unheated enclosure. It is rated for 40 degrees above zero and works just fine in the cold. The current problem is no power on my side of the island. The WeirsCam is also in an unheated enclosure. (or used to be)

Search on this forum for setting up a webcam. There is a thread or two about it... additionally go to the bear cam and there is a link on his site about setting up a web cam.

I link to any web cam in the area if the owner lets me know or gives me permission to link.... If I am missing anyone... juse let me know. We love the addition of the second Black Cat Island cam... gorgeous view and informative cam and site. Thanks CanisLupusArctos. (How thick is the ice today on Black Cat?)

Sandy Island fan 01-24-2007 07:02 PM

not on wmur website

I looked on the WMUR website, and in the skycam section - only the manchester cams are there, along with cams from around the US. I checked on the "contact us" section and asked if there was a way to link to the Meredith cam (and others around the state).

Perhaps if many of us ask them, they'll listen.

SteveA 01-24-2007 07:17 PM

I tried e-mailing them...

I emailed WMUR last week.... no reply.

I'll send another tonight....

Rattlesnake Gal 01-25-2007 09:05 AM

WMUR - Do They Really Read Their E-mails?

Don’t expect to hear back from WMUR about their cam. It seems that all of my notes have fallen on blind eyes.
A while back I had e-mailed the people at Church Landing with the idea of a webcam, but the timing must not have been right for them to implement one. Perhaps my e-mail fell to the wrong person? It seems to me that it would be good business, reminding viewers of their resort(s).
:idea: Wouldn’t a mobile webcam from The Mount be wonderful? Not much good at this time of year, but they could give us a winter view of Center Harbor! (We’re so greedy for our lake cams!)
:idea: An enterprising individual might want to approach lakeside businesses for the set-up and support of cams. Could be a nice part time gig that could really take off to be something big.

CanisLupusArctos 01-25-2007 06:16 PM

Ice on Black Cat... and Mount Cam

About WMUR's Meredith Bay Cam, I called News Director Andrew Vrees and left a voice mail. He called me back this morning. He said the Meredith Bay Cam is a TV camera. Due to "technical issues," Vrees said the camera can't be put on the web. Offering a simplified explanation, he said the camera transmits to the station (in Manchester) via microwave feedback--rather than an internet connection--and the camera itself isn't on all the time. I guess that means Meredith Bay is still waiting for a webcam!

IG, I'm also eager to know how thick the ice is in front of my house (i.e. get back from my trip to MA tonight.) When I left on Monday afternoon, it was about 1/2 inch thick.

RG, I share your enthusiasm for the "Mount" mobile cam! That thought popped into my head as I was doing the pre-purchase research for the Winnipesaukee WeatherCam in October.

On the cam setup ideas, I didn't know some of those cams rated for +40 were running in unheated enclosures! That's good to know!

Rattler 01-30-2007 12:26 PM

Power Repairs on Rattlesnake?

IG, as a fellow Rattlesnake Island resident (and the owner of a currently non-functioning dock circulator...), what's the procedure for New Hampshire Electric Co-op to get out to the island for power repairs? Do they wait for the ice to be safe enough for a trip out -- or are we resigned to waiting until they relaunch their boat after ice-out this spring?

WeirsBeachBoater 01-30-2007 12:35 PM

Webcam

I think a Meredith Bay Cam would be great. I think Rusty Mclear would be the one to talk to about that. See if he could put one up at Bay Point. The Mount cam is another neat idea, not sure how you would do it logistically, wouldn't it be costly? How would you send signal? By satellite?

CanisLupusArctos 01-30-2007 01:03 PM

Mount Cam

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
I think a Meredith Bay Cam would be great. I think Rusty Mclear would be the one to talk to about that. See if he could put one up at Bay Point. The Mount cam is another neat idea, not sure how you would do it logistically, wouldn't it be costly? How would you send signal? By satellite?

Actually one of the Mount's owners just emailed me a few days ago, to ask that same question. They said they've been thinking of having a live cam but they wanted to know how to make it happen. I told them about Verizon Wireless Internet which runs off the same signal their cell phones do. I learned about it last summer when a friend (a Verizon employee) showed me how he was getting 3 bars on his laptop in the middle of the lake. It's about $60 a month for all us non-Verizon employees.

Once you get the mobile internet connection, the rest of the project is just like setting up a live cam from anywhere else.

They seemed interested so keep your eyes on the Mount to see what comes of it...

Island Girl 01-30-2007 01:34 PM

Snowmobile!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattler
IG, as a fellow Rattlesnake Island resident (and the owner of a currently non-functioning dock circulator...), what's the procedure for New Hampshire Electric Co-op to get out to the island for power repairs? Do they wait for the ice to be safe enough for a trip out -- or are we resigned to waiting until they relaunch their boat after ice-out this spring?

NHEC will go out to the island if they can get transport... courtesy of airboats... or on their own snowmobiles once the ice is safe. There is power on the island now... the power situation for Snake Eyes has not been determined. I hope to get there this weekend.

IG

CanisLupusArctos 01-30-2007 01:49 PM

battery backup?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Girl
NHEC will go out to the island if they can get transport... courtesy of airboats... or on their own snowmobiles once the ice is safe. There is power on the island now... the power situation for Snake Eyes has not been determined. I hope to get there this weekend.

IG

Have you ever thought of getting a battery backup power strip for your cam? Staples has big beefy ones that'll power a computer and monitor for 2 hours - and if you're only running a low-voltage camera it should last for days.

Island Girl 01-30-2007 02:09 PM

Donations accepted

Yes I have thought of a battery backup system.t... I will accept any product donations.. and Snake Eyes is back thanks to my good friends on the island with an airboat... not sure yet what was wrong... but looks like a reboot of the system did the trick!!!

webmaster 01-30-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater

This whole topic is deja vu for me. Several years ago I met with Rusty's company (Hampshire Hospitality Holdings) about a number of related things, including a CAM for the Mount and one for Church Landing, which was in early construction at the time. We concluded that for a number of reasons the Mount CAM would not be practical. Keeping a land based camera running year after year is hard enough without all the variables involved in a moving camera. Of course anything is possible for a price but I think that first they should invest in a few land based cameras at their Meredith hotels.

When we discussed the camera at the Church Landing construction site there was not much enthusiasm for the project. The placement of the camera, the needed power and Internet connection were a problem and it never got beyond that.

After the meeting they had some turnover and the things we discussed never came to be. They also used to be an advertiser on this site but discontinued that as well. They were the exclusive sponsor of the WeirsCAM (very appropriate I thought) and got an extremely high click-through rate on their ads. The areas largest and nicest hotels teamed with the largest and most popular web site seemed a natural fit. Unfortunately someone at HHH didn't see it that way. Maybe they figured that they get enough free advertisement anyway on the site.

Several years have passed and they may be now willing to put up a CAM or two. With high-speed Internet (wired and wireless) throughout their hotels it would now be easy to set up network cameras in several interesting locations.

If Rusty is reading this, I am still willing to help set up and even manage the CAMs if he is interested.

Weirs guy 01-31-2007 06:35 PM

Hows about a Sophie C. cam so the island folks (and others) can track their mail deliveries? Image the shot as she's pulling into Camp Lawrence?

Or what about live web cam shots from the Mount in the middle of the lake on Channel 9's 6:00 P.M. newscast?

I wonder what that advertising would be worth?