Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Terrible fishing (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9656)

itchin for fishin 04-03-2010 06:34 PM

Terrible fishing

I first thought it was me, but it appears NO ONE was getting any fish today. I was working the bay by Shep Browns and Bear Island. Nada. Drove over to Long Island bridge, Meredith, and Weirs. All nada. I tried everything, every depth, speed etc. What an exercise in US government.

Any of you had any luck and if so on what?

BroadHopper 04-03-2010 09:10 PM

Stop fishing

a long time ago in Lake Winnipesaukee. I have better luck in Winnisquam and Wicwas Lake. There was news about the bass population in the big lake is way down.

ishoot308 04-04-2010 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchin for fishin (Post 123835)
I first thought it was me, but it appears NO ONE was getting any fish today. I was working the bay by Shep Browns and Bear Island. Nada. Drove over to Long Island bridge, Meredith, and Weirs. All nada. I tried everything, every depth, speed etc. What an exercise in US government.

Any of you had any luck and if so on what?

If you were Salmon fishing yesterday, the water was too calm at least in the morning for the fish to be biting. Salmon like a little chop before they come to the surface. Around noon time fish started biting near Ellacoya.

Dan

VtSteve 04-04-2010 07:26 AM

Years and years ago, I fished with my dad and friends from Meredith to the Boards. We trolled everywhere in the cold waters, the wind, the rain, even through some remnants of ice. My memories are mostly of freezing, not catching fish. I heard the old timer's stories of salmon chop, trolling deep for lakers, all of that.

Some years, we caught our limit early, sometimes nothing. I was in the boat for Wally's 12 pound two ounce laker landing. What a fish! Many years later, I'm here on the west coat of NE in amazement as people haul in fish like they had nets. It all goes in cycles. I'm not much of a fisherman, but the peace and tranquility remains a major catch in the sport. I might even put the boat in early this year to troll over here myself this year. Probably the first time in well over thirty years.

As I remember, if the salmon aren't hitting on Winni, go bottom trolling for lakers. Not so much the very bottom at this time of year, but deeper. A big fish is better than none at all. I caught a 6 or 7 pound laker in August trolling the bottom once.

Grant 04-04-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 123847)
a long time ago in Lake Winnipesaukee. I have better luck in Winnisquam and Wicwas Lake. There was news about the bass population in the big lake is way down.

Well, we've already heard that the salmon population is hurting -- hence no no derby this spring. If the bass population is way down, as reported, credit the hundreds of tournaments. Fish are not an infinite resource. Over-fish a lake, fewer fish. Screw up the water quality, fewer fish. Pretty basic.

Mink Islander 04-05-2010 05:22 AM

Fishing's been good for me!

I caught a couple really nice 4-5 pound salmon on Friday late PM (weighed on an el cheapo spring driven fish scale), a couple more on Saturday morning and 3 more on Sunday morning. With one exception, they were remarkably good sized -- I'm more accustomed to catching salmon that are only 2 to 2-1/2 pounds.

Found they were biting at 15 to 25 feet -- had 2 colors of lead core out on 1 rod and my downrigger set between 15 and 25 feet. Maine Guide DB Smelt was the most productive lure for me all 3 days.

I for one am glad they're taking the pressure off the lake this year by cancelling the Winni Derby. Hoping to see better catches all season long!

VtSteve 04-05-2010 08:42 AM

Those are really nice sized salmon MI. Good to hear. I don't think I've ever gotten one nearly that big in Winni.

ishoot308 04-05-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink Islander (Post 123895)
I caught a couple really nice 4-5 pound salmon on Friday late PM (weighed on an el cheapo spring driven fish scale), a couple more on Saturday morning and 3 more on Sunday morning. With one exception, they were remarkably good sized -- I'm more accustomed to catching salmon that are only 2 to 2-1/2 pounds.

Found they were biting at 15 to 25 feet -- had 2 colors of lead core out on 1 rod and my downrigger set between 15 and 25 feet. Maine Guide DB Smelt was the most productive lure for me all 3 days.

I for one am glad they're taking the pressure off the lake this year by cancelling the Winni Derby. Hoping to see better catches all season long!

Nice job M.I. !! Those are some nice Salmon. I didn't catch any Salmon, but yesterday I did catch a couple of nice bows ( around 19 - 20") in shallow water (one color down). Couldn't get the Salmon to bite for the life of me! Go figure!!

Dan

farechofisherman 04-05-2010 10:52 AM

weekend fishing

We fished Thursday pm no fish. Friday am; 2 Salmon, and 1 rainbow. Sat. am; 2 salmon. Sunday am; 1 salmon. The lake was very flat, as stated, very tough fishing without a little "salmon chop"on top. Caught all fish in the 5&6 Mile Isalnd area using sinking fly lines and "wonder bread" pattern (white with red dots) db smelt. All fish were very healthy, fat and fiesty.

Rattlesnake Gal 04-05-2010 12:38 PM

Winnipesaukee Fish

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...m/DSCF1428.JPG
From the gallery of bclaker

Looks like bclaker caught a nice one.
I'm a real novice, is this a trout?

Mink Islander 04-05-2010 03:03 PM

That's a salmon

Silver with black spots.

MAXUM 04-05-2010 07:35 PM

I caught one nice salmon on three colors of lead core out. Silver top gun with red stripe on one side. Tried several other top guns of different color combination with no success. The top guns are great bait, figuring out what color to use is a matter of trial and error and varies by day.