Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > Roy Sanborn
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
The Breeze: By the Bay...
Today 02:08 PM
Last post by Major
Today 04:05 PM
3 Replies, 117 Views
HOA Forums
03-26-2024 03:42 PM
Last post by camp guy
Today 03:58 PM
12 Replies, 964 Views
Gilford’s new red “barn”
12-02-2023 11:33 AM
by Jeanzb1
Last post by map
Today 03:38 PM
61 Replies, 13,517 Views
Wolfeboro Hit and Run
08-13-2023 01:42 PM
Last post by codeman671
Today 01:08 PM
189 Replies, 56,431 Views
A New Chinese restaurant...
02-28-2024 02:41 PM
Last post by map
Today 11:47 AM
31 Replies, 6,973 Views
» Made in USA
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

How To Hatch A House...

Submit "How To Hatch A House..." to Facebook Submit "How To Hatch A House..." to Digg Submit "How To Hatch A House..." to Google Submit "How To Hatch A House..." to Twitter
Posted 12-21-2014 at 09:44 AM by Roy Sanborn

How to Hatch a House

There were 67 residential home sales in November 2014 in the Lakes Region of NH communities covered by this real estate market report. The average price came in at $286,956 and the median price point was $201,000. Last November we had 89 sales at an average price of $227,738. That’s a pretty hefty drop in the total sales number but at least the average sales price is up!

Just about everyone knows a young couple that’s getting married. And like most newlyweds-to-be, they are probably dreaming of buying their first home together but struggling to save enough money for a down payment. I was surfing around the internet looking at real estate articles the other day and found a website that just might help them. It is cleverly called Hatch My House.

A lot of couples today have been living together for awhile and quite likely have accumulated much of the day to day items a married couple would need. So, instead of registering at Williams and Somoma, Bed, Bath and Beyond, or Macy’s or gambling that you won’t get three salad bowls, four toasters, and three Keurigs as wedding gifts why not register at HatchMyHouse.com? Hatch My House allows your “guests” to give toward a down payment for your first home. Seems like a better idea than returning a bunch of duplicate items you don’t need.

This website was developed by a couple who were living together and had all the “stuff” they needed. But they were living in San Francisco where a down payment for a home seemed to be an unobtainable goal. They thought that with a small start from friends and family, they might actually be able to get a place of their very own. They created a website for their own wedding asking that in lieu of gifts they would love to receive money toward a home down payment. Their friends and family were more than happy to help them get their first home. In 2011 they turned the idea into a business venture and launched Hatch My House.

How it Works

Here’s how it works. First you go to the website to register and then you design your home choosing the style, color, and setting. There’s a section where you can eloquently describe your goals and dream home. You know, tug on the heartstrings a little. You then would set up a Pay Pal account and link it to your bank account so that Uncle Pete or Aunt Clara can easily use their debit or credit card to send you a much deserved and generous gift. You even get to choose the price of the gifts but your guest can always change it to whatever they want. As your guests scroll over the house you designed they will see that they can “buy” you a window for $200, a door for $100, or go inside and “buy” a vanity or kitchen table for $150. Kind of neat actually…

Wedding guests often struggle with what to give the bride and groom and they sometimes hesitate to give cash but Hatch My House makes giving a cash gift a little more meaningful and practical. The website is full of testimonials and actual samples of previous registries for you to look at. The website could also be utilized for a young couple who already own a house together but need to do renovations that they can’t afford.

Now that I’ve seen this site, there should be one for us older people celebrating many years of marriage. You know, it could be called BuildMyVette.com or SendMeToHawaii.com. I think I’m gonna work on that...

Posted in General
Share Views 13734 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments