PDA

View Full Version : George's Diner

PaulS
08-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Although it's been there for 35 years (according to our waitress), we went to George's Diner in Meredith for the first time today. We were encouraged by the line out the front door, despite another place which was 1/2 empty serving breakfast less than 150 feet away. I had the banana nut pancakes, couldn't eat them all, despite the pilferring by my wife. They were great! We'll be back.

JDeere
08-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Keep Georges a secret!!

trfour
08-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Although it's been there for 35 years (according to our waitress), we went to George's Diner in Meredith for the first time today. We were encouraged by the line out the front door, despite another place which was 1/2 empty serving breakfast less than 150 feet away. I had the banana nut pancakes, couldn't eat them all, despite the pilferring by my wife. They were great! We'll be back.

I mostly visit them by snowmobile from Paugus Bay in winter, although the great food and service there is fantastic and that made me come back, year round!
Just a big thanks to PaulS for reminding me! We need more posts about all of the great Resturants here around the Great Lake!
This is one of them.

RI Swamp Yankee
08-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Their Friday all you can eat Fish Fry is great. :D

PROPELLER
08-17-2004, 08:09 AM
I tried it once last year. My experience was disappointing. It took 5 minutes to be seated even though they were not busy. Then once seated it took 15 minutes before I had to ask for someone to wait on us. There were several waitress's but many empty tables & they were standing around. Then the unfresh salads were delivered just before the entree so there was no time to eat the salad before the meal. Then my meal was way over done but at this point it was not worth bringing to anyones attention, I was too hungry & frustrated and based on the waitress demeanor was not confident it would be taken care of. But thats just my 1 experience, I hear many people like it, to each his own.

trfour
08-17-2004, 08:13 PM
I tried it once last year. My experience was disappointing. It took 5 minutes to be seated even though they were not busy. Then once seated it took 15 minutes before I had to ask for someone to wait on us. There were several waitress's but many empty tables & they were standing around. Then the unfresh salads were delivered just before the entree so there was no time to eat the salad before the meal. Then my meal was way over done but at this point it was not worth bringing to anyones attention, I was too hungry & frustrated and based on the waitress demeanor was not confident it would be taken care of. But thats just my 1 experience, I hear many people like it, to each his own.

Sorry,.... Propeller,

I only go there for breakfast, but in my 14 years doing so, I never ran into the problem that you expeirenced.......They have been in buisness for a very long time,.... and just maybe, they had a bad day......

At any rate,... If I go to any buisness, and am disappointed, for any reason, I let them know about it, right now!
Hope that this helps.

PROPELLER
08-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Your right, maybe I should have complained but they did know I was unhappy about being seated slowly & not being waited on because I told them I had been waiting to be seated & that I was waiting to have an order taken when I asked for service. All I got was indifference, no sorry about that or any explanation. If the salads were not fresh I had no reason to believe there were fresh ingredients out back not being served & as I said our meal was already there so I was not going to enjoy the salad anyway. I should have complained about my meal being overdone but as I said it was late, I was hungry & I was not going to wait another 20 minutes for another dish & I was not going to walk out so I ate. There was nothing specifically wrong with my wifes meal, it just was not very good, there was nothing that could be corrected.

It may have been a bad night but as I said before, they were not busy at all so that could not be the reason for waiting to be seated or waited on, there was no excuse for that.

I may try it again because so many like it but only if nothing else interests me at the time. If I have a desire for something specific I'm going to go where I have been satisfied previously.

kashmir
08-19-2004, 08:54 AM
my kids and I went last night and had a great meal. The people were friendly, and we all had a great time. Every time we are there we have a good meal. I tried to stop by Saturday night, but the line was to long, must have been a 15-20 minute wait. If people are willing to wait that long in line, that must tell you something.

Lady Di
10-02-2004, 01:21 PM
but when I was up there on my vacation/baby delivery, I couldn't wait to go there from the reviews. I went for breakfast on Saturday morning. I waited 15 minutes for a table, 15 more for a wait person, all they had was de-caf, and I heard the guests at the table behind me complaining about that. For me it was okay, as that's what I always have, but it was like colored water. Very weak. The bacon, eggs and whole wheat toast were very ordinary. Potatoes were too salty. I would not go out of my way to go there, even if I lived in Meredith, I wouldn't bother. Just my opinion.
Of course, I shouldn't have been having toast and potatoes anyway..... :rolleye2:

Several nights later, we went for dinner. My scallops, broiled, were very good. So.....I guess they're better with the seafood than the breakfast.

glennsteely
10-07-2004, 05:37 AM
this is real after the fact, but i thought they were great. fish fry was incredable, but breakfast was the best. that big, fresh squeezed orange juice, and there is something special about breakfast at the lake. my grandmother used to call it the winnipesaukee appitite, and it is very apparent considering i dont eat breakfast any morning here in jersey....even my 2 year old ate like a champ up there this summer............

BroadHopper
10-07-2004, 07:39 AM
After zipping across the broads watching the sun rise, Georges is the place to stop for coffee and chow. At that time in the morning there is no waiting! :)

itchin for fishin
10-07-2004, 05:20 PM
George's was on my breakfast review this year. Try the red hash, it's something really different and really good.

White Rook
09-23-2007, 09:42 PM

The wife and I ate at George's this past Saturday and we were terribly disappointed. :( We arrived at approx 7:10 PM and about 1/2 the tables were available. We were asked to seat ourselves. The waitress came over with the menus. The wife ordered a hamburg plate that turned out to be so-so. I ordered the steak tips and from the moment the waitress placed them in front of me, I knew I was in trouble. They just plain looked dry. Turns out they were dry and chewy. After trying two of them, I could not eat them and I was looking around for the waitress.

We couldn't get her attention and she never came back around to ask how our food was. I ate the salad which didn't seem too fresh but the fries were OK. When the waitress finally came over, she asked if we were finished. I told her how disappointed I was with the steak tips and she replied that she had them before and that she liked them. She brought the check over and I was charged full price for my portion of the meal. Frankly, on the rare occasions that I have encountered similar situations in similar eating establishments for example, Paugus Diner, the meal was taken off the check or was discounted by 50%. I laid down my money, left the waitress a 10% tip for her poor service and we left vowing never to return.

Captain Zipper
09-23-2007, 10:27 PM
White Rock,

Did you just turn your computer on after a 3 year hiatus? I find it funny that you linked on to a post that is 3 years old. :laugh:

Anyway, sorry you had a bad meal but in my opinion you left that waitress 10% too much for a tip. Bad food is the cook's fault..........bad service is the waitress's fault. I would've asked for the manager/owner.

I tend to go up the food chain. I've never had a manager/owner not thank me for letting me know of the problem. I'm not rude about it but I get my point across.

You must have had the same waitress I did one time when I went there. And you know? That was one of the few times I didn't bother to go up the food chain. Maybe if I had she would have been fired by now.

CZ

Newbiesaukee
09-24-2007, 05:45 AM
I go to George's 4-5 times a season, always breakfast/lunch, and I have never had that sort of problem. I was there last week and we remarked among ourselves how pleasant the waitress was. The food has always been good and fresh. Certainly, we all have off days, but do try George's.

White Rook
09-24-2007, 08:41 AM
White Rock,

Did you just turn your computer on after a 3 year hiatus? I find it funny that you linked on to a post that is 3 years old. :laugh:

Anyway, sorry you had a bad meal but in my opinion you left that waitress 10% too much for a tip. Bad food is the cook's fault..........bad service is the waitress's fault. I would've asked for the manager/owner.

I tend to go up the food chain. I've never had a manager/owner not thank me for letting me know of the problem. I'm not rude about it but I get my point across.

You must have had the same waitress I did one time when I went there. And you know? That was one of the few times I didn't bother to go up the food chain. Maybe if I had she would have been fired by now.

CZ
;)

Hi Captain Zipper,

As they say in the NFL "After further review", I did over tip the waitress for her poor service. I was told by a restaurant owner a long time ago that when a waitress receives a poor or no tip, she oftentimes reflects on what caused it to occur however, she also may take it out on the next patron she serves.

As for the time warp, I merely linked to an already started topic of George's Diner with subsequent threads. By the way, it's "White Rook" not "White Rock" :) See ya'...........

sa meredith
09-25-2007, 07:49 AM
While I don't doubt someone could have had a negative experience at George's, I must say, I visit the place very regularly (breakfast only) and every trip has been "flawless". Food and service...always perfect. I'll wait there 30 minutes, even when "the other" place on the corner has tables avaiable.

Captain Zipper
09-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Sorry White Rook, my eyesight aint what it used to be.

In the interest of mankind, what is a Rook?

CZ

White Rook
09-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Sorry White Rook, my eyesight aint what it used to be.

In the interest of mankind, what is a Rook?

CZ

Hi Captain,

The definition of rook can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rook_(chess). "White Rook" was the call sign for Sgt. Saunders, played by actor Vic Morrow, in the 60's TV program COMBAT. "Checkmate King II" was the call sign for Lt. Hanley played by actor Rick Jason. The communication calls would go something like Checkmate King II ... This Is White Rook .... Over" which is also shown in my signature file. White Rook is the call name for my boat on the VHF-FM radio and my NH license plate is WHTROOK. By the way, did I tell you that I'm a big COMBAT fan? :)

Captain Zipper
09-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Ya' think?

I had even missed your signature at the bottom. That's unlike me.

I vaguely remember combat, those were my single digit years............

CZ

Captain Zipper
09-28-2007, 08:29 AM
"Morrow died on the set of Twilight Zone: The Movie while holding two small children, (My-Ca Dinh Le and Renee Shin-Yi Chen). A helicopter being used on the set spun out of control and crashed, decapitating Morrow and one of the children and crushing the other.[1] The six occupants inside the helicopter sustained minor injuries. The accident led to massive reforms in U.S. child labor laws and safety regulations on movie sets in California."

............let us hope that your final demise is not so grisly.

Now, on a happier note.......whose ready for breakfast? :liplick:

CZ

Captain Zipper
09-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Interesting.......

"Earlier in his career, Morrow was in a film called Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. There was a scene where he was supposed to fly in a helicopter. "I’m not getting up in the helicopter… I have a premonition that I’m going to get killed in a helicopter crash." The clue phone was ringing – no one picked up."

quoted from .......
http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/m/Vic%20Morrow/vic_morrow.htm

Pretty ironic...

CZ