PDA

View Full Version : Waterski Advice Needed

Mariahman81
07-12-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm looking to buy new waterskis (had 2 sets of the old Dick Pope sets they used to sell 25 years ago that have lasted up until last summer) to try to teach some teenagers how to ski on one ski this summer over our 2 wks at Lake Winni. They are very comfortable on 2 skis now on the old Dick Popes... and have recently learned to wakeboard. Since I need to get a new set of waterskiis ... I'm looking for good intermediate pair ($200-$300 price range), concave bottom, and something that will be easier to learn one ski... I've never used the wider skiis myself... still using a big old wooden ski that I've had since I started boating... so I was wondering if that is the way to go now?

Can anyone offer any ideas? Also... where would you recommend buying them... Overton's or... ???

THANKS in advance for your help! I appreciate it! :)

camp guy
07-12-2004, 08:49 AM
If you are coming to the Lakes Region and want to waterski, there are plenty of places locally to purchase skis. Forget the catalogs, purchase locally and get them fitted correctly, get advice from the sales staff, and support the local economy. I am not an active skier, but I would guess there are several hundred places to buy skis in the Lakes Region. Check around with some people you know who are skiers and seek their advice.

dpg
07-12-2004, 10:55 AM
"Para-fun-alia" I believe it's called sells good equipment and their advice/recomendations are free! Bought many things there, never let down. There's probably cheaper out there, but they are very convenient. Located in Meredith and Laconia (I think.)

jrc
07-12-2004, 01:03 PM
dpg, actually I think there in Gilford and Meredith. It's one of those stores you can't leave without buying something.

http://www.sportsandmarineparafunalia.com/default2.htm

robjnh
07-12-2004, 01:08 PM
We have used theses skis for 4 years now and have taught many to ski on them. They are super slalom trainers as well as they are parabolic (thumb shaped). If you are buying a pair of skis for many people to use I would buy online (overtons, barts, ebay) and save the $$$. The local ski shop referred to by others actually some some stuff on ebay as well.

If you are buying a wakeboard or ski with a specific rider in mind then it's best to find a place that will let you demo or has a great return policy.

I would also suggest spending $30-$50 on a neoprene vest as well. They have a lot less drag which is very helpful when learning 1 ski starts.

Let us know how it goes....

gtxrider
07-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Overtons and Barts both have good prices look in to their clearance pages on line where you may get even a better deal. Before buying go to Para-fun-alia they have rentals so you can try the skis out prior to purchasing a pair.

My brother rented a wake board and knee board for his sons to try and see if they liked it before spending the money.

Mariahman81
07-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice... I wasn't aware that you could rent skis at Parafunalia for a day to try them out before buying. I appreciate your responses!

Can't wait to get to the Lake... just 2 1/2 wks now! :)

MAXUM
07-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I just bought last year a pair of O'Brien P173 Performers from Overton's for 199.00. Nice package for the $$. Sure beats the cheapos I had before!