PDA

View Full Version : Most Challenging Winni Adventure

Mee'n'Mac
02-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Something one poster said re: SCD's "Boating at Night" question got me thinking (yes, a rare event !). What would everybody consider as their most scary/challenging/rewarding boat trip on Lake Winni ? Sure it's still too cold to lite the campfire and tell ghost stories but given there's some newbies buying boats I think "we" owe them a story or two ... bwahahahaha ....

Mee'n'Mac
02-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Hmmm, there might be a prior incomplete post on this, I really dislike the touchpad on this notebook. As I was saying ...

While I've not been really scared* on Winni, there was one night last year that was certainly "challenging". "Mee" had her sister + hubby up to the cabin. We all boated to our friend's place in Meredith. I thought we were staying the night, and thus my non-challance re: the weather forecast (aaarg). Well, come late Sat night the plan changed and the trip back to Alton Bay was now back in vogue. No problem I thought as the sky was un-expectedly clear as I looked up (in Meredith) and we've made this trip (day & night) countless times. So off we went and all was well until we got past Gov's Is, and then the fog rolled in. Fog I said, Ha, let there be fog ! Then past Sanders Bay the rain started. Not a hard rain mind you, but just enough to screw up my glasses. At this point it really was like navigating in a black hole. You couldn't see more than 20ft in front of you. Good thing "Mee" doesn't wear glasses as we counted on her vision and the GPS and the new, bright, lighted navaids to get home w/o incident. I have to say this is the only time I was really "happy" to have the GPS onboard. It earned it's keep that night.

Lesson 1: (we all know this one) Weather at one end of the lake doesn't forecast weather at the other end of the lake.

Lesson 2: Be prepared for all eventualities when boating.

Lesson 3: Contact lenses rule ! Glasses bite.

*as for scared .... well there was the time I lost the windscreen jumping the Mount's wake. Boat trip not scary, telling Dad .... scary ! (this was 1970 - something)

stevo
02-23-2004, 08:26 AM
How about coming back from fireworks at Center Harbor on the 4th and snaking through those markers with a hundred boats 20 feet from from you all breaking the "wake speed" law (including me). Now that's scary!

Hazelnut
02-23-2004, 08:56 AM
So many stories so little time.... Lets see. The one that keeps coming to mind.... Motorcycle weekend several years back. Lets say 6 years ago. Anyway, we cruised over to the Weirs early that day to secure a spot at the docks. It was a nice warm Saturday of the final weekend of the rally. My friends and I spent the day walking around enjoying the sights and sounds of bike week. We were dining on giant Pork Chops and huge turkey legs, curly fries and fried dough etc. etc. Anyway we hung out until the Police imposed curfew hit and we headed for the boat. No big deal I've done this run from Weirs beach to Kona a thousand times. So we pull out of the docks and bam F-O-G. Not just fog but F-O-G!!! Pea Soup. I can't even see my bow lights. One of my lesser experienced boat mates that night decided it was a brilliant idea to pull out the SPOTLIGHT! Before I knew what was going on he plugs it in to the socket I look over and say WAIT! As I go to swipe it out of his hand he hits the button. BAM!.... The boat goes DEAD! I had a feeling the spotlight would cause problems as it had been "acting up" lately and I had planned on replacing it. What he didn't know was that spotlights were USELESS in fog. A spotlight only serves to illuminate the fog creating a white wall around you. So there we lay dead in the water in the thickest fog in the middle of the bay near the weirs. I took a deep breath so I wouldn't punch anyone in the face. I calmly stood up from the helm and proceeded into the tiny little "cabin" that the Wellcraft 232 Eclipse stuffed under the bow seats. I spent what seemed to be an eternity searching for the fuse panel. All the while I am listening to see if I can hear the hum of any nearby boat traffic. Praying that nobody is out on the lake. "What kind of an idiot would be out here anyway" I said to myself. Using a cigarette lighter I identified the now blown fuse. Hmmmm one fuse running a spotlight ignition and nav lights. Great design. The trick now is to A.figure out where the spare fuses are HA HA! or B. Borrow a fuse from a "lesser needed" function. A quick test results in finding out that the vacant accessory switch has its very own dedicated fuse for nothing. So I swap it out and lo and behold the boat springs to life. Lights YES, ignition........ YES! Now to head back to the....... In the time spent "fixing" the boat I have become very disoriented. What is the way back to the weirs?!?! We can't be any further out than marker buoy 1. This was before GPS was so readily available on board small 23 footers like this one. AHA! But it does have the "optional" compass. So guessing that I am approximately due east of the Weirs if I was originally headed towards marker buoy 1. I decide to head due west on the compass. So at a crawl I begin my journey. Nobody on board is speaking. We just stare.... At nothing. Look straight up and you can see the moon. Straight down white knuckles on a steering wheel. Straight ahead, Black. Finally I think I see it.... Yup... I never thought I would be so happy to see the horrible orangey glow of the street lights at Weirs beach. The nose of my boat was pointed directly at the beach. I veer over to the right headed straight for the docks now. PHEW! I yell out "Boys I hope you like camping cuz this is where we are sleeping tonight."

One of these days I'll post Part 2, "The morning after ride home." Almost as scary in its own way as Part 1, "Dead in the water"

I learned a lot of lessons that night. I don't think I need to tell you what they were.

Grant
02-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Two incidents come to mind -- both from my youth (read: a long time ago).

The first occurred in the mid-70s, when my cousin and I (both teenagers at the time) were returning from an afternoon of fishing. One of those fast-moving mid-summer thunderstorms swept in, and we were forced to drive right into it to get home. The lightning strikes were relentless -- one right after the other and all around us. We were in open water, with nowhere to go but home, so he hammered the throttle and we just hung on, prayed and aimed for the boathouse. And we made it.

The second seemed like a lot of fun at the time, but in hingsight was pretty hairy. Two friends and I (again we were young teens) decided to take a trip into Wolfeboro from Melvin Village via boat. It was one of those classic whitecap days -- with MONSTER swells on the Broads. We were in one of those little Boston Whalers. We bounced violently for the better part or an hour, frequently airborn, and arrived soak and rattled. But we thought it was fun. Just as bouncy on the return trip, although the wind was at our backs. Those two rides, out of thousands, stand out in my memory.

John
02-23-2004, 09:48 AM
I would have to say in the early 60's we were at a friends cottage just inside sleepers island, It was a beautiful day, we were sking swimming and having lots of fun. (I was about 13) My dad had my grandfathers 16' lyman with my mother and sister, My brother and I were in an 11' homemade boat (Puddy-Tat). Well in the afternoon these black clouds came in with some wind. It was decided that we would head back to Echo Point, My brother and I were told to stay close to my father, It was a bad storm. There were times when we could not see the other boat which were not 25' away. In the little boat we were taking a beating so my father waved us to go on. We made it safe, but the waaves were over 6' they were bad. We ended up with the boat in the driveway. My dad, a good seaman put the boat in the boathouse, and sometimes I think about that and wonder how.

Lady of the Lake
02-23-2004, 12:46 PM
I have two incidents that come to mine, both actually happend in the same year 1994.
The first is when my dear old dad decided to take my boyfriend, a friend and myself to dinner in Center Harbor. It was a beautiful evening when we left our dock in Lakeport as was the ride to Center Harbor. Well after dinner and a few beverages, we made our way to the boat, that is if we could find the boat.
The fog was so thick, thicker than anything I have ever seen on the Lake and on the Ocean. My father assured us he "knew" what he was doing(HA)and not to fret. So the four of us left and needless to say my dad could not see a thing, I am on the bow with a map and a spot light, my boyfriend and friend are in the back of the boat drinking (they thought they where going to die), my father is yelling at me to find the @*#!@#*! markers. SMACK, not a rock or land but a bouy, "Found it Dad". After that night we all refused to ride with him again.....
The 2nd incident was when a 36 ft Fountain ran over the side of a friends 36 ft Chris Craft Sea Skif in Paugus Bay. All I could think of at that time was the Posiden Adventure, because I thought we where going down...but we did not Thank Goodness.

Bear Guy
02-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I would have to say leaving the Meredith fireworks by boat are a more harrowing experience then Center Harbor. Meredith Bay confines boats (with the same disregard for 150') for longer, and as a result, the wave action is incredible. We saw one boat that had capsized. We put the "navigation lights" on our 21' bowrider into more than one wave.

Rattlesnake Gal
02-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Has anyone ever had to pull in to a strangers dock for safety during a severe storm? If so, how were you received?

Connie
02-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Two incidents come to mind.... Back in the 60's my family came up and would stay at the "Golden Horseshoe" out at the end of Meredith Neck across from Horse Island. There was a pizza place there also and the owner, Steve Chicola, rented cabins. One of my sisters & I took out an old wooden row boat for a ride. Guess we were maybe 8-10 years old if that. Started out towards Bear Island "across" the the way, storm came up out of nowhere and suddenly we were trying to row to safety to a dock on Bear Island. Probably wasn't as bad as I remember, but it was way scary at the time! An older couple heard us coming into their dock, helped us out of the boat, gave us blankets and called over to Steve to come get us. Got in lots of trouble for that one!! Second scary story... At least for me!! When we were kids (same age range) my dad used to take us out for boat rides. It was always my job (cause I was the oldest) to ride in the very front of the boat and look for rocks!! I hated that job!! I was always scared I won't see them in time and there were a few times I didn't!! Luckily we were usually going very slow while I was performing this very nerve racking job!! I am still, 40 years later, not fond of being the look out for rides in shallow water!!

Paul S.
02-24-2004, 07:29 AM
It's happened to me twice over the past few years. The first time, I had my arm sticking out of the canvas to hold the boat to the dock. The owner ran out in the pouring rain and tied us off. The second time, received a friendly wave. In both cases, after about a half hour, the rains died down and we were on our way again.

osterber
02-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Aside from July 4th escapades, my most nervous time on the lake was a couple of years ago. We stay at a place between 19 and 20 Mile Bay in Tuftonboro. I was down in the Alton area visiting some friends in West Alton. My girlfriend and I left that gathering to meet some other friends (who were driving through town) for dinner in Alton. So, to begin with, I'm not very familiar with the Alton side of the lake. I have a map and all, but I just don't know everything like I know the Tuftonboro/Wolfeboro side of the lake.

By the time we left the restaurant, it was about 9:30pm, and it had gotten very very cold. (This was late June.) Fog came in, and reduced visibiliyty to very very little. We pulled away from the dock, and I put the boat in idle to check my bearings, check the map, etc. Well, we drifted into a roped off swimming area. Though we were in neutral, my sterndrive got tangled in the swim area roping. It was cold. And completely foggy. It was a somewhat nervous 10 minutes working with the boat hook to get the line untangled (we got tangled very close to one of the anchor lines, so there wasn't much slack).

We finally got on our way, and carefully cruised back to the more familiar side of the lake through the fog. Fortunately, once we got into the broads, the fog opened up a touch.

-Rick

Frdxplorer
02-24-2004, 11:15 AM
While I have never had to pull into a strangers dock personally, my sister had to a few years ago. My sister and I had gone into Wolfeboro from Winter Harbor at different times and met each other in Wolfeboro. She left town a little before I did and started back. When I left I realized the broads had really picked up. My 16' Whaler was getting tossed around like crazy so I knew my sister's 13' whaler was gonna really have a tough go of it. Well I made it into the Harbor and headed for home. However, upon my arrival my sister was nowhere to be found. At this point my cousin and I went back out in the 16' Whaler and my dad hopped in his 21' whaler. we searched for maybe an hour or so before getting a call from my mom on shore that my sis had taken refuge at a house along the broads. We took the larger Whalers back to dock and took the car over to my sister. Turns out she picked one of the largest houses on the broads to take cover at. The only thing nicer than the hosue were the people who owned the house. They were more than willing to help my sister out after they realized how much trouble she was having. After we got a new driver and some weight in the front of the 13', we managed to get it home despite the swells. I always love Winni adventures.

Island Girl
02-24-2004, 11:35 AM
The first time I had my boat (17.5' bowrider)at the lake, we rented a camp on Welch Island. We got there in the pouring rain. No boating that day. Our friend/landlord called and told us not to go out the next day, due to high winds. No boating day 2 (even I could see by the height of the waves on the north side of Welch's that going out would be treacherous)

Day three, finally we could go riding. With our trusty chart we ventured to Wolfboro. While there we saw clouds coming so decided to high tail it back to Welch Island. As we came into the broads the wind picked up, the raing came down and the waves got high. Foolishly we kept going. By the time we were in the middle of the broads (another foolish move) we were in the largest waves I had ever been in. We were bouncing up and down and felt like we were in the Perfect Storm movie. I was the driver and tried to maneuver the waves, rain and wind in my face. I was literally screaming "We're going to die,we're going to die". Island Guy kept reassuring me we were doing just fine (what did he know? he had never been in this stuff) So I screamed all the way back to the island and he kept re-assuring me.

We learned to watch the weather, stay out of the middle, don't try to outrun a storm, and buy a bigger boat.

Island Girl

Island Girl
02-24-2004, 12:15 PM
One would think after the Welch Island experience and a year or two of living on Rattlesnake we would learn what not to do.

We discovered several things living on the broads side of the island. If a cold front comes in, it will be followed by high winds for several hours or days. (actually Island Guy already knew this) We saw that W, WNW, NW and N winds over 11 mph would be dangerous for my little boat and 13 mph would be insanity.

One August day a couple of years ago we had a cold front. The forecast was for the wind to pick up late morning. I had guests coming for their first time at noon. I really knew what was going to happen, I just wished it would be delayed. We went to shore that morning and it was calm. During our time ashore the wind picked up. We were at an Island meeting and I kept looking at the swaying trees out the window.

We got back to the marina and ventured out to pick up our guests at another landing. It was windy with navigable waves. I kept thinking, the broads must be like boiling water, but my desires kept saying it would be fine.

We picked up one adult, two teenagers and a little dog and headed for the north side of the Island. The waves were huge and I was afraid. Island Guy assured me everything would be fine (sense a theme here?) As we neared the island (the wimpy side) a wave came over the bow of the boat soaking us all. The engine stopped and we bobbed up and down all over the place. We were terrified. Our guests were scared but figured that I knew what I was doing. (HA!)The boat started up again and I turned around, heading back to shore. With the waves behind us we literally surfed on top of some of them. No one knew how scared I was.

We spent the day in the Weirs area hoping the lake would settle down. We ventured out again around 7pm (talk about wishful thinking) and this time headed for the south side of the island. As we came around the broads side, the waves were just huge, bigger than ever. Island Guy said to keep going, we could make it. (he really loved that island) I knew I could never land the boat and turned back. Somehow we made it back to shore and sent our guests home. We stayed with a friend for the night and it was calm the next morning.

We eventually bought a little bigger boat with a cuddy cabin. No more little bowriders for me. I have learned have great respect for the power of the wind and just stay put.

Island Girl

JJW
02-24-2004, 12:32 PM
About 9 years ago I took my wife, my daughter and my mom to Center Harbor from Moultonboro for the 4th fireworks. Nice easy short ride there had a great time. THEN everything that could go wrong went wrong. My daughter 4 years old at the time had to go potty and we had to hang her over the side of the boat with wakes like you wouldn't believe. They were coming over the transom into the boat and my bilge crapped out so I had to pull the plug which was on the inside of the boat and hope to drain some, but I had so much water it was almost impossible to get up to speed. Finally get out of the harbor and the engine is misfiring. While trying to pull the engine cover off I pulled the number 2 spark wire out. Remember the plug I pulled out earlier to drain the boat? I didn't!! So now we're limping home but I still have my trusty spotlight to guide me. NOT!! This piece of #$%! decided to crap out also. 2 hours later, finally saw our trusty light at the dock. TRUE STORY!!!

Mee'n'Mac
02-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Lightning is the one thing that really does scare me when boating. We had just got the new boat and brought it over my parents place in Brookhurst to show them. Getting ready to depart we noticed a storm moving in. While the rain doesn't worry me too much, the lightning strikes do ! Having seen them in the distance, we left the boat at their docks and took a car ride home. Came back the next day and got the boat. My thinking is that sitting in a boat on the water with the aluminum framed top up is like standing on the green holding a golf club up in the air.

556 ZP
02-24-2004, 03:25 PM
While this was not a challenging or scary episode for me it was for my wife & dog & I think many will remember it. The Year 2000 (not sure what month)there was a severe back up in the Weirs Channel. My wife suggested putting up all the curtains because of nasty looking clouds. My response, "it looks like it will pass" It wasn't 2 minutes later & the wind was howling, it was pouring, there was a 2' chop in front of Channel marine & we could not move because boats were stern to bow due to back-up. The dog was shaking like a leaf she was so scared & getting soaked. We put up all the curtains except the back which we used to cover the dog & I had to keep moving forward & reverse so as not to hit another boat. I would say it lasted all of 5 minutes & later heard the back up was due to someones bimini top blew off in the channel halting traffic. Still not sure if that was the reason, just what I heard.

SIKSUKR
02-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Mee@mac,I had a scare from lightening two years ago.I was headed to the Gilford Town Docks from Paugus bay on a pwc with the wife on the back when a large t-storm seemed to come out of nowhere.We were already in the channel and figured we would go for it before it hit us.Ya right!I had that thing pegged at about 55 mph and was getting sandblasted by the downpour.Ouch!The lightening started and there were strikes all around us.I have been in boats before in a lightening storm but sitting on that pwc was very scary.We made it but we were both a little shook up. SS

spotsink
02-24-2004, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you are a family devoted to Whalers! They are a fine boat and I own one myself, a 17' Outrage... From one Whaler fan to another, I'm curious to know what models were involved in this adventure...

Long Bay Guy
02-24-2004, 07:57 PM
I have had to pull into a dock to get out of a thunderstorm twice over the years and have never had a frown. I think when dangerous weather strikes as a boater you must do what you can to protect your passengers. As an owner of a dock on the lake I feel the same way about some else tieing up under those conditions.

Upthesaukee
02-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Back when my dad was alive, he had a 17 ft Thompson Laguna. Ames Farm still served dinner meals, and we went by boat for dinner one night. Mom, Dad, wife, two kids, and I had nice meal, and got back into the boat just after dark. No moon, clear skies until we got to the two markers just off Ames Farm. Ran into a "little fog bank" (Dad said it was little). He told me to keep going and we would run out of it soon. Kept heading in the direction of Alton Bay. Over an hour later, miraculously having made it down into the bay, we ran out of the fog just outside Echo Point and had an uneventful ride the rest of the way into the bay. Yep, God takes care of fools and drunks, and we hadn't been drinking!

Ice Cream Man
02-24-2004, 08:33 PM
The ice cream boat has had many challenging days out on the lake. Been caught in many storms but the most difficult times on the lake has been being caught when the wind gets going and I end up surfing the waves while attempting to wait things out on a strangers dock. People havealways been great even to the point of offering food and shelter. Life is great and the Lake people are super. See you in the summer.

Aquadeziac
02-24-2004, 10:30 PM
I believe that was Motorcycle weekend of 2000 and I was there too. We had our old bowrider and only had a short top on it and we actually watched the rain roll in like a wall from Paugus Bay. Traffic started backing up in the channel and we were getting soaked so we squeezed under the Pier Condos big garage area and held onto the dock and waited it out. Like you said, it was gone in five minutes.

556 ZP
02-25-2004, 08:21 AM
I remember launching our 20' foot bowrider in April 99 & decided to take a ride to Center Harbor. On the way back to our slip we encountered about five minutes of hail. My wife told me to go faster to get out of it & I refused because it would hurt even more.

gh@altonbay
02-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Back in the mid-60's when I was about 15, I took our 15' Alum. Starcraft with a 33 hp Evinrude from Sandy Point to Wolfeboro with no problem. I had my 2 brothers along who were 13 and 10 at the time. The wind kicked up that afternoon, and when we tried to go back, the Broads were so rough that I had trouble steering the boat and waves were breaking over the bow. My 10-year old brother started crying and yelling that we were going to die. I turned around and went inside the Varney Islands and started heading back towards Wolfeboro. We spotted a young couple playing croquet on the lawn of a house just around the bend from Wolfeboro Bay. (I forget the name of the point there, and my lake chart is up at the cottage.) The girl's last name was Krippendorf and she and her boyfriend invited us to tie up at her father's dock and to come into the house. She offered us the use of the phone and I was able to call Sandy Point to tell my parents where we were. My father drove over to pick us up by car and said we would return later when the wind died down to retrieve the boat. The wind kept up past dinner time, so we went back with the boat trailer and pulled the boat out at the public dock in Wolfeboro and towed it back to Alton Bay. We were very grateful for the kindness shown to us "tourists" from NJ.

Tim
02-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Fishing as a kid with Dad in our 64 Boston Whaler 13' bye hole in the Wall. Weather came in fast. Soaking wet we borrowed an empty boat house stall and parked it for several hours.

wow..how exciting..

madrasahs
02-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks to convergent thread subjects (Night Boating and Challenging Adventures), I've just now recalled one very scary episode that I haven't revealed here before from my long history of Winnipesaukee experiences:

It was not unusual for me and my boat to get stuck at friends' lakefront homes hours after sunset -- miles from home. "Getting stuck" means my boat never had navigation lights!

I only had difficulty on one moonless night when, just beginning my trip getting home, I was encountered by "Sea Witch" -- a ~28-foot wood Chris-Craft cabin cruiser.

I was traveling at my maximum speed but he was tailing me about 50' astern. (My ten-foot plywood boat topped out at ~22 MPH). When I zigged -- he zigged. When I zagged -- he zagged. Then he turned out all his lights!

He eventually lost track of me, and I got home much relieved. I learned later that this was not unusual behavior for my distant neighbor: He'd drive up from Massachusetts, get roaring drunk, and take the boat out -- at night.

I haven't seen that boat in the last ten years. The owner himself died of natural causes last year, which makes possible the telling of this story.

Remember these were simpler Winnipesaukee days -- no "Marine Patrol", dock lighting was nearly unknown, and encountering another boat at night was rare.

4postr
02-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Lightening! I had waited at jonathans landing for a couple of hours for the weather to clear that afternoon before heading home to west alton. It grew darker again as I went. I was off of welch island when all hell broke loose. I swear a bolt came right down in front of the boat and clap of thunder was BEHIND me. I'll never forget it and I'll always respect it.

Rattlesnake Gal
02-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Totally enjoyed hearing everyone's stories. What a great thread!

FLboater
02-26-2004, 06:10 PM
This worst experience for me happened about 15 years ago. A group of friends from Wolfeboro decided to go to the Wiers for the night. When we started off in a 32 Sea Ray, it was a beautiful clear summer night. After enjoying the Wiers, we started to leave with a slight fog starting to form. The fog was not the problem but I think it convinced some Yahoos in a fast boat that no one could see them. They proceeded to circle close at full throttle around our boat. Two passengers in our boat tried to drive them away by throwing anything loose in the boat. This included coke cans, cooler, sponge, boat hook, etc. This move obviously only added to the circling and they can within 5 feet of us. The boat was rocking in all directions.The only thing that saved us was the blinking blue lights. They speed off to Meredith with the blue lights following. We took off for Wolfeboro. The only things of value that was lost was a pair of binoculars and boat equipment. By the way, no one in our boat had been drinking but we did calm our nerves when we go dockside. The 2 nuts on board were never asked to go again.

Winnipesaukee Divers
02-26-2004, 08:45 PM
I have to say my greatest adventure on the lake was over twenty years ago and I had just been certified as a diver. My kids had enough of these incessant diving campaigns and wanted some real fun at Weirs Beach. So I agreed to take them over from Wolfecity and spend the day riding the surfcoster. Early that Saturday morning they were ready go and had untied the dock lines before breakfast. As we headed out of the bay that sunny morning we hit the 20-knot wind directly on the nose as we set the course for the Weirs. As the big sailboat bucked into the sharp chop, I offered to turn around and go another day, actually I had been invited to go diving with the dive club off Diamond Island, which I'd preferd to do of course. However, they insisted we proceed on over to fun town.....

After the three-hour cruise to Weirs and spending 6 hours at the water park the girls had had enough fun for one day and ready to head back. The ride back to Wolfecity was going to be a sleigh ride as we would be going with the wind and maybe we could even set sail (my second most favorite thing to do). Once we cleared Governor’s we raised the sails and settled down for a fun cruise back. However, our sleigh ride was short lived as we proceeded into the broads, the wind meter went from 20 knots to 30 to 40 as we got further into open waters. Then it happen... a sudden gust out the north back winded the sail... knocking the boat down as the main sail gibed. Everyone though they were about to die as the big boat laid over into the surf, spilling the air from the sail the boat righted itself only to be knocked down again on the other side. Somehow I got control of the helm and headed it up into the wind long enough to get the sails down and secured. By this time we caught in a full blown 50-knot gall late in the late summer afternoon with 12-foot seas. As we neared Diamond Island I decided to leave the islands to our port and take a rest from them nasty northwest winds and heavy waves. It was such a relief to be sheltered from the wind for even a shot while and we got the boat shipshape again. As we neared the west end of Rattlesnake Island I saw a very strange sight, it looked like a big boat upside down with people standing on it waving to me. As we got closer I could see it was the dive boat (a Boston Whalers 28 feet long with 2 outboards) upside down with all my dive buddies scattered about it. I tried to render assistance but as I came about the wind and waves were too much and we broach again under bare poles and I had to break off and head down wind again.

I worried about my fellow divers safety all the way back to Wolfeboro, but there was nothing I could do... I had my own problems to contend with and the safety of my boadt and the crew.

The next day I heard the dive boat was a total lost but everyone had made it to safety, no thanks to me. My dive buddies forgave me for deserting them in their time of need and today we reminisce about the day we almost died

When people call lake sailors, wimps, afraid to challenge the real waters. I smile and say, if you only knew... Winnipesaukee can be a real hell… It commands real respect.

Frdxplorer
02-27-2004, 09:58 AM
You bet we're a Whaler family. Wouldn't think of owning another recreational small craft. Anyway, my sister's was a 13' Sport. The pretty classic design updated for the newer model. Two beach seats and a steering wheel with exposed gas tanks etc. My 16' that was used was model 16 SL. Relatively rare. I have only seen one or two on the lake and it was only manufactured for a few years. Two consoles with captains seats and two seats in front of each console. Two seats aft by the 75 outboard. The final of the Whalers is a 20' Dauntless. This would be most comparable to the current 21' Ventura model. For the first two or so years of their production, Dauntless was really more like a ventura model before switching it's style.

Rattlesnake Gal
02-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Wow, what a story. I sure am glad the lake is not always like that!

Paugus Bay Resident
02-27-2004, 08:32 PM
My worst was coming back from Smalls Cove during a squall last summer. Came up quick. 3 - 5 footers, (an we were in a 33') pouring rain and lightning strikes all around us.

Couldn't even see the bow of the boat. One minute, I saw about 20 boats, next minute, none.

One lightning shot was about 300 yards off our bow. I ended up beaching our boat in Gilford and waiting it out. $1,000 damage, but we were OK.

In 40 + years up here, worst I've ever been in and I'm not too proud to admit, scared the *&^*^ out of me.

Next time, I'll stay where I am, anchor and ride it out. Hindsight is always 20/20!

BigGuy
02-28-2004, 06:19 PM
This is with out a doubt the best thread ever. First one I have read beginning to end. If someone has "the way with the word" I think there is a book here!

Thanks to all!

madrasahs
02-29-2004, 10:36 AM
After a nice early-morning sail, I headed home before a self-imposed 10AM deadline. (July 4th, 2003).

Within sight of home, the waters got very "confused" with powerboat wakes, slowing progress. A pair of large "apartment-boats" were banzai-ing towards their usual watering hole, leaving me in the middle.

Though they were a respectful 200+ foot distance away, a minute later their two wakes converged under my 18 foot boat, launching the boat upwards -- and me outwards -- into the drink. (Think Inuit blanket-toss).The water was warm, and my PFD zipped.

It could have been pleasant, except my right ankle was tangled in the mainsheet (that's a rope), so I was being dragged about six feet behind my skipperless boat.

The PFD acted like a sea-anchor, filling with water from underneath, and pouring out below my chin -- making getting back on board a wrestling match that lasted way too long.

Fortunately, a yellow aluminum boat with a stranger and dog aboard -- stood guard until I was able to get back on board. Dozens of boats whizzed by, so I was (& still am) very thankful.

The afternoon was spent on the dock watching The Circus, now a staple of Winnipesaukee weekends.

The next day was spent repairing a rafting fender damaged by boat wakes on the 4th. It's not just weekend weather.

Harley Dude (not)
03-02-2004, 02:40 AM
It was the week after motorcycle week. A friend came up from Mass. with her kids to go boating for the day. We agreed to pick them up at the Weirs. She dropped off the kids at the public dock and went off to search for a space to park. She found a spot next to a long row of neatly parked motorcycles outside of a bar. She backed into the parking spot and accidentally clipped the closet bike. One by one, each fell over like dominoes. Of course, the bikers came storming out of the bar to confront her. Luckily, a bystander called to police to quiet the situation, but she had managed to scratch the chrome on several bikes to the tune of several thousand dollars (which insurance mostly paid). By the time she got back to the dock, she was a wreck. The rest of the day was a washout for her (even though, the kids had a great time!). We now pick them up at the Gilford docks.

Lake Bass
03-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Two quick stories. Scariest moment on the lake. Going over to Burger King on a nice quiet weekday trip. Had our first born on board and he was quietly sleeping in my wife's arms when out of no where, the jerk that runs the seaplane rentals at the end of Paugus literally buzzed us as he was landing. Excuse me if I did not see his "landing strip".

The other experience was a little more pleasent. Right after an afternoon sun shower I took out my jet ski and watched a rainbow from from Center Harbor over to Bear Island. What a site.

JayDV
03-02-2004, 10:52 PM
We all must have our share of those panic frights from water travel on the lake. Dark nights, high winds and waves, the fog resulting in close calls with boats, docks, islands (?). I even ran through Becky's Garden and the Witches during fogs and way before GPS. But I think the most frightening time I can remember was really on a very calm and sunny day.

The summer vacations at Winnie were something we looked forward to all year. Dad had summer "shutdown" at work and this was the only 2 week period he got. The 8 hour drive up from southern Conn., before highways, and the 2 hours of grocery shopping for our 2 week stay on the island (no boat) always made us kids restless. We knew we would soon be picked up by old Mr. Abbot and his boat the LIMIT. Dad's boss had always asked for a phone number to reach us, but Dad said "no phone, no electricity". Boss wasn't too happy, but what the hey.

So, the mornings and afternoons were at the beach, in the canoe, the rowboat, reading or swimming. This one particular day we watched a sea plane land and takeoff further down the Broads towards Rattlesnake. Then on one of its landings, it landed in front of our cottage. As we watched, the plane gently motored right up to our beach. Mom and Dad's eyes started to show panic. You know, back then telegrams were bad news, but a sea plane at a house ...

Yep, you got it, Dad's boss popped out of the plane. Just what you want on a vacation. The shock aside, he told Dad, he just wanted to see his face drop. Had a great afternoon, and he left.

madrasahs
03-03-2004, 07:56 AM

Rocky
03-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Great story!

Jeff Furber
03-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Our most challenging adventure, though very short, was while passing by Spindle Point and Pitchwood and Eagle Is. we were between the markers(at headway speed) headed towards Stonedam and a boater with 2 children passed us inside of the markers towards Eagle Is., he was going at least 30mph. My fishing partner said be ready for a crash, for some unknown reason this boater was very lucky and God was driving the boat and he did not hit any underwater rocks.
We are sure he was not a lake resident and was just plain lucky.
We are bass fisherman and fish all around Eagle and Pitchwood and we know how dangerous that area can be. A lucky day for an ignorant boater with two very young children. A very scary moment.

Sachems Cove Dude
03-10-2004, 03:03 PM
when was this and what boat? hope I wasnt one of the lucky little children, lol

Jeff Furber
03-11-2004, 03:28 PM
This was a few years ago, late 90's and I am not sure what kind of boat,perhaps a FourWinds type, pleasure cruiser with an I/O, it was a light tan color or tan over white. If it had been a bass boat I could site chapter and verse as I know these boats by sight.
I mean the guy was humming along, trimmed out good, which is why he did not need a whole lot of water.We were more scared for the kids, who did have life jackets on. we were ready for a rescue if needed.
We waved a guy off a buoy marker with some ugly Winnie rocks just near by and the guy waved back and said everything was OK, then he hit a rock with his lower unit. I am sure ego had was a factor.
We love Sachem's cove and often stop there to fish the rock points or have lunch, during high winds.

BigGuy
03-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Isn't it amazing that these are the ones who never hit anything? After almost 25 years on the lake if I even think about cutting a maker (not actually doing it) I'll hit something.

Bear Guy
03-12-2004, 07:33 AM
From our vantage point on Bear Island, we frequently watch boaters cross on the wrong side of a marker. There are a number of submerged ledges in front of our cottage which are plainly marked, and yet we may see several boaters on a weekend day blindly navigate through the hazards. Most make it through without a problem, and most realize their error when they view several exposed rocks that are marked the same way hardly 200 feet past the original "minefield." Over the years, we have collected a number of propeller pieces, but thankfully have never seen anyone get hurt.

The most spectacular accident was one I witnessed just after dark about 10 years ago. Two boats came through on the wrong side of the marker, cruising at a reasonable speed but failing to use a spotlight to locate the markers. I breathed a sigh of relief when the two boats cleared the initial threat, but then was was dismayed to see the nav lights on the lead Century Coronado bounce unnaturally where the exposed rocks must have been. They coasted to a halt, and informed the trailing boat "I think we hit something." The second boat towed the first away, and we alerted the MP. The next morning, I found not only the rudder from this boat, but also an intact propeller still attached to the drive shaft! (The boater's friend showed up the next day to retrieve the pieces.)

Jeff Furber
03-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Thinking back when we tried to wave off a boater that was going to be in trouble, happened just off of the norh end of Mark FL "29" on Bizers map, the boater tried to head in the direction of Bear Is., around the markers and we kept waving him off pointing to the markers and yelling at him to stay clear. He was going at a very slow rate at that time, he just kept coming and very soon there was the sound of the prop and lower unit hitting various boulders, it of course destroyed his prop and he was towed out by a friend who trimmed his motor and paddled and attached a line and they got out of there into the channel later. They refused our help as we had an electric motor on our bass boat and could have easily towed them into the channel. I am sure they had a very expensive afternoon.