PDA

View Full Version : Baby on board questions

Steve C
02-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi all,

My wife is expecting any time now. How soon have you brought the baby on the boat? (21' bowrider) What did you keep the baby in? I have had friends that waited over a year to bring their child on board, and the kids didn't like the boat. I am hoping to start him off early and he will be used to it. Just don't want to start too early.

Any and all opinions welcomed...

Steve C

Rattlesnake Gal
02-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Children 5 years of age and younger must wear a USCG-approved life jacket at all times while underway on a vessel, unless the vessel is completely enclosed by railings at least 3 feet high and constructed such that a small child cannot fall through. It is strongly recommended that children of all ages wear their life jackets.
They have life vests for babies under 30 lbs. Check out Barts click on life jackets. Getting your child used to one early is key. It will become second nature to them.
Congratulations! You will have to keep us posted on when your bundle of joy arrives.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/

John
02-18-2004, 03:39 PM
My son was born on 23 Nov 1970 and he was on board the boat by Feb 1971. I bought a brand new 15' bonita with a 50 HP Johnson, He was the water ski observer on its initial voyage. I even let my wife at the helm. that was in florida, would I do it again, no, he is too young to be an observer, and letting my wife drive while I was on ski's how to be young and stupid

Jolly
02-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Over the past 50 years we've had children and grandchildren take their first boat journey out to our island anywhere from a few days to a few weeks old. Always wearing the latest infant life vests, of course. [The 7 granddaughters, at least. I don't remember what we had for their parents.]

All our kids and their children are experienced boaters now----and loving it.

iris
02-18-2004, 07:35 PM
We started taking our daughter out when she was about 6 months, about when she could fit in a lifejacket. We never ventured very far. She has always enjoyed it (she's now 2), and especially likes the 'bumps' when we hit waves! The marine patrol told me babies need to be held on a lap when the boat is under way, and definately not in a baby seat. They recommended the Stearns brand lifejackets. I would recommend a hat, a bimini top, and lots of sunscreen. Enjoy.

Aquadeziac
02-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Its pretty much a common sense thing.....would you bring a three month old infant out on a rough, choppy day? And think ahead....it may not be rough when you start out. Keep in mind, the smoothest ride for the baby, regardless, is as far astern as possible. Also remember no matter how small, that infant needs to be in an infant PFD, and that doesn't mean a child's PFD, yjrtr are special design PFDs for infants. But overall I would recommend 6-8 months old.

Everett
02-18-2004, 08:03 PM
You may want to wait until the child is at least one year old because of Shaken Infant Syndrome. As we all know Winni can whip up rather quickly and I would hate to see a little child get injured due to rough waters.
On a lighter side, if you wanted to just motor out into a small bay so that you can spend time with the family on the water I bet that everything would be just fine.

Jersey Girl
02-18-2004, 08:36 PM
My oldest is a December baby and we had him out in the boat that first summer. My youngest was born in early April and must have been in a boat that summer as I recall but he was on the larger side (he was a month early and still weighed almost 8 pounds at birth and was 14 pounds at two months) and easier to fit into a life jacket. Baby carriers should not be used out on a boat. As my husband doesn't like boating when the lake is the least bit choppy, I am sure we kept to the calmer waters of the bay only because we would anyway.

I do remember that my babies fell asleep almost immediately as we tooled around Alton Bay. The motion and the noise just lulled them into sleep. Me, too, sometimes. Those little heads sounds asleep on my shoulder was just lovely. I miss those days now and wish mine were still little.

Better to start them early so they are comfortable rather than wait until they know enough to think they should be afraid.

Jersey Girl

Just a thought
02-18-2004, 11:45 PM
We brought our oldest son out at 4 months. We had a 19 footer at the time. He had an LL Bean vest appropriate for his age/weight and he fell asleep every time out that year. He's now 4 and loves the lake as much as my wife and I.

rob j
02-19-2004, 09:10 AM
We had both are kids out as new borns. Now 3 and 5. As others have said the sound of the motor and motion put them right to sleep. I would suggest looking for a good Neopropene (sp?) infant vest at Overtons or locally. They are lighter and more comfortable. That and plenty of shade and sunscreen and you will be all set.
Both my kids live for the water now and my oldest started skiing at 5.
Good Luck

madrasahs
02-19-2004, 09:14 AM
"Frankly, we think that boating with infants is not a very good idea..."

So says my West Marine catalogue. Normally a no-nonsense and savvy group, they tiptoe some more around the subject with: "Kids are very hard to float consistently in water, and it is most difficult for small children.
(I think what they don't want to state is that PFDs won't float your infant right-side-up).
"As kids get older and more water-savvy, the issue is reduced..."

(Fitment of PFDs for stability and buoyancy is better on bigger kids).

Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Belmont Resident
02-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Steve best of luck. Both my boy's were boating as infants. I'd bring the car seat out and put them in it. Used a infant approved PFD and set them into the seat. I would not recommend strapping them in unless your anchored.

Janie
02-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi Steve,

We brought our youngest son out when he was 4.5 months old... and we only waited because we had to wait until ice out.

We put him in a an infant class PFD (one with a collar and the strap between the legs). For the most part, we only went from 19 Mile to the island cottage but, sometimes we took a trip during the week when the weather was clear and the water was calm. We never buckled him in his infant car seat but, sometimes I put him in the car seat instead of holding him.

He's 5, now, and loves to boat and loves the water. As with anything, it's all about YOUR comfort level and common sense. I agree with you 100%; getting hik used to boating at a young age is great.

Now, we let our 6.5 and 5 year old drive, at a low speed, while sitting on our laps on a calm (and quiet) day. They absolutely love it and have so many fond memories of the Lake and times with each other.

Ken
02-19-2004, 01:03 PM
My daughter was out on Winni at about 5 mo old. It didn't take her too long to get used to her life vest and now (2+ years later) she has her spots on the boat all picked out. When she's feeling adventurous, she'll hang out at the stern and watch the wake. When she wants to chill, she crawls up into the cuddy and takes a nap. Sometimes she wants to sit on my lap and drive!

Like others said, its a common sense thing. When she was very young, you have to pretty much hold her at all times unless she was sleeping in the cabin. Then I would just have to go real slow and keep an eye on her to see if she woke) I certainly wouldn't want to put my daughter into undo danger by going out in bad weather or pounding into big waves. But even on rather windy days, keeping the speed way down and looking for the least choppy ways between islands can still make for plenty of fun days.

With young children its something new every day. Make sure you get the right vest and that it fits your child well and using a lot of common sense about what a small child can and can't do is usually all it takes to have a great time out there.

Ken

Justenuff
02-19-2004, 03:07 PM
My daughter joined us on our 23' sailboat three months after she was born. She slept in the cabin all day. Since then, she has joined us on the less windy days and loves it. We bring adequate entertainment for a couple of hours at all times (books, video player, toys) Maybe one day we will see the whale she has been looking for!

Steve C
02-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Thank you all for the input. I did know to use an infant life jacket and not strapping them into a carrier. (If carrier went over, life jacket wouldn't hold baby and carrier.) The part about holding the baby in a passengers lap while under way was interesting. Have to look to see if it is a law. That would prevent me from taking him out alone.

Thanks again..

Steve C

Rob J
02-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Steve,

Until they are older I would not go out with Just the two of you. It always seems that they need you right at the worst time docking, etc...

Unbelievable
02-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Hi Steve,
We had our now 11 month old son out on our 30' cruiser at 2 months. The life jacket is a must. We are now expecting our second son in June. I expect he will be out with us about a month after that. I don't expect to be going all over the lake, mostly sand bar days but the ocassional cruise on a nice flat day. Good luck!

Hazelnut
02-20-2004, 11:10 AM
My wife and I recently had twin boys. They are just about 5 months old now. We plan on bringing them out to our house on Cow Island as soon as Ice-Out is declared. Last summer the trick was finding the smoothest ride for my then pregnant wife, now the trick will be keeping a smooth ride for the boys. Our plan is to have lots of family and friends around to help out. For the most part their boating will be limited to the short cruise out to the island. Beyond that maybe a sunset cruise here and there when it is calm out. I suppose that if they had been born in April or May I would have had them out there as soon as possible. Good Luck and enjoy.

throbbin rods
02-21-2004, 05:05 PM
My oldest daughter was born in Jan so didn't get on the boat till she was 5 months (she did go ice fishing at 2 weeks) and my youngest daughter was on the boat at 2 weeks. Both of them love the boat, skiing,tubing, kneeboarding.

madrasahs
02-22-2004, 07:12 PM
"The marine patrol told me babies need to be held on a lap when the boat is under way, and definitely not in a baby seat."

I don't know about that.

Progressive Insurance Company states that an infant held on a lap cannot be retained by a seat-belted adult's arms in a 30 MPH automobile collision.

Maybe facing the stern is a better idea.

John
02-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Hopefully one could tell the difference between a boat and a automobile. I have not seen seat belts in a boat yet, perhaps I am missing something. I see it that the child needs to be held. If something should happen to the boat and it goes down would you be fast enough to unbuckle the infant and get them safely out of the boat? I am not trying to be mean but to think this out.

GWC...
02-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Click for image:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=238&password=&sort=2&cat=502&page=7

Also:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1303&password=&sort=2&cat=502&page=4

And:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=135&password=&sort=2&cat=502&page=8

John
02-24-2004, 09:45 AM
I guess there is, I have seen these amfib cars/boats in the lake, and they keep the life preservers in the trunk, good for safe keeping.

madrasahs
02-24-2004, 09:43 PM
The insurance company stated that a baby seated in the lap of a belted-in adult cannot be restrained by that adult in a 30 MPH impact. Adult arms are not strong enough.

Another example: At 30 MPH, an 60-pound unrestrained dog will impact the windshield weighing 1200 pounds. That's all the good news.

The bad news is that an unbelted adult holding an infant will move forward together with the infant.

Boats don't have seatbelts, so both infant and adult will impact some interior bulkhead of the boat together -- with the infant being caught in the middle.

Remember the previous thread "Ouch!!", where the Formula offshore racer hit the marker post? Picture this infant on the lap of an adult in the stern.

It's about physics -- not seatbelts.