PDA

View Full Version : Masonite walls!! Now what do I do??

wMw
01-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I bought a house in the Weirs recently...a funky old beach house (aren't they all!) near the wooden bridge. I've been peeling ugly old 70's wallpaper and tearing down cheap ugly paneling from the same era and trying to decide what to put up in its place....so, I decided, just to get to see a project finished, I'd repaint the living room. Piece o'cake! Right??

The house inspector said that the cracked seams were just a bad taping job... rip it off, re-tape, mud and paint. That I've done before. Not a fun job, but not a big deal. Well, I discovered the walls are not sheetrock (why am I suprised?) but Masonite. Can anyone tell me if the cracked and buckled seams might have been because the materials are incompatible or if retaping & joint compound are the way to go? or do I have to rip it all out and start over? (Yechh! but then I'd be able to find out if the outer walls are insulated). I'd like to do it inexpensively (not many $$$ left after the down payment) but want it to look good.

If I could afford to hire someone I'd love to come home from work and find the room all finished, but the savings account is kind of low right now.

Orion
01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
That old masonite is nothing worth saving and is not a good basis to build on anyway. You'd be well suited removing it and replacing it with something else. As you say, this would give you a good view of what's in the walls, inclding inspecting and upgrading wiring if needed. Sheetrock is quick and not too difficult. You could go with paneling (but it should have something more solid under it) or even v-groove pine to make a nice finished (campy) look but you should use a finish nail gun for v-groove. You can just do a wall at a time as you can afford it, and end up with something you can be proud of when you're done.

Weirs guy
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow wMw, I'm in the exact same boat over on Kingsley Ave. Trust me, you don't want to know whats in those walls!! :laugh:

Our place is a combo of knotty pine/masonite walls and I too am in the process of repainting. Just the other day I was looking at the same cracked joints you've got and thinking how they look the same as they did when I was a kid, and debating about re-taping and muding them (cause I've got to be smarter then the last guy who painted, right?). Then I thought better of it and had kinda settled on running a bead of silicone cock over them and blending as best I can. The big issue with that is you can see where the tape itself is starting to lose its adherence to the masonite.

So other then re-sheet rocking I'm dieing for options too!

mcdude
01-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Weirs Guy:

I always enjoy your posts...but this one especially so....

(I've got to be smarter then the last guy who painted, right?). Then I thought better of it and had kinda settled on running a bead of silicone cock over them and blending as best I can.

I'm trying to imagine a bead of silicone adult male domestic foul but have decided that you must have meant "caulk" instead. (Yup...that must be it)

And for those of you who were thinking of something else....shame on you!
:look:

Weirs guy
01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Weirs Guy:

I always enjoy your posts...but his one especially so....

I'm trying to imagine a bead of silicone adult male domestic foul but have decided that you must have meant "caulk" instead. (Yup...that must be it)

And for those of you who were thinking of something else....shame on you!
:look:

DOH! The worst part of this is I actually debated the correct spelling for this type of caulk in my head for a few seconds before posting! The worserest part is I work in the plumbing industry!!

Now if you'll all excuse me my silicone adult male domestic fouls are melting in this warm weather. Thanks McD! :laugh:

Mee-n-Mac
01-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Do silicone adult male domestic foul cry fowl when you put them in the cocking gun ? ;)

Just putting one back for Weirs guy. :D

Sunrise Point
01-10-2007, 06:30 AM
I have watched this forum for the last 6 years but it was this thread that prompted me to join in...We also have the pleasure of owning a 1935 "ish" original camp. The interior walls and ceilings are covered in homosote, painted off white. The joints are covered by a thin strip of lattice and left natural. It's a nice look but takes forever to repaint.

mcdude
01-10-2007, 09:30 AM
...as Weirs guy said....
DOH!
sorry my spelling has also run afowl...!!!!
:D

Weirs guy
01-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Not only do we need to buy a dictionary for the forum members, but Sunrise Points post reminds me that in certain rooms of my place there is in fact a small piece of lattice covering the joints, which, by the way, does make repainting horrible. It also makes the walls look like something my 6 year old put up.:D Maybe I can teach the silicone adult male domestic fowl/foul to paint the walls?

Lets see, that makes me 0 for 2 on this particular subject. Looks like the lead paints getting to me after all.

Sunrise Point, welcome to the forums. As you can see after a while we do start to loose our minds though.... :rolleye2:

ghfromaltonbay
01-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Sunrise Point, welcome to the forums. As you can see after a while we do start to loose our minds though.... :rolleye2:

Do you lose your mind once you set it loose? ;) We all need a copy of Strunk & White's Elements of Style rather than a dictionary. It has a section entitled "frequently misused words".

Sunrise Point
01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I sometimes feel that these threads take on Monty Python-like twists and turns. Always good fun!

I agree with Orion, that it might be a good idea to see what's behind the masonite. We found some very scary electrical problems (mostly due to rodent activity over the years). Of course, if money is tight, you only do what you can do. Paint, even at $38.00 per gallon is a good quick fix and makes everything look and smell better!

I mentioned the lattice strips simply because I don't believe that there is any reliable way to get a seamless finish when taping panels of masonite together. Good luck with your project!

wMw
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, Orion. I was afraid that's what I would learn...that the Masonite wasn't worth keeping. In the one room where my brother ripped out the buckled cheap paneling it was hiding a wall of horizontally placed boards. My brother thinks that we should sand the boards and poly them, but they were never intended to be visible so they have some good sized gaps. And where the seams were between the sheets of paneling the boards have a swath of dark stain...kind of odd. I'd guess that might also be what is behind the Masonite.

I like your idea of one wall at a time...that's probably the way to go. And I do like the look of pine. it might brighten up this dark living room. That would mean learning a new tool...never have played with a nail gun.

I've never done any wiring so if there are problems uncovered in that department I'd have to find an electrician...That means I'll be back here asking for recommendations. Haven't been here long enough to have any good contacts.

It's all such a learning experience...this old house!

wMw
01-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Wow wMw, I'm in the exact same boat over on Kingsley Ave. Trust me, you don't want to know whats in those walls!! :laugh:

Hey, Weirs guy, we are practically next door neighbors. So far I haven't found anything in the walls except some weird styrofoam type stuff in one of the outer walls. No hidden treasure, although the guys I got to come in to reinish the floors found some pills in the attic that got them all excited (I didn't ask) and some rules written on the attic wall that they claimed were put there by some bad-a** biker group.

I recently read an article about mixing joint compound with (if I remember right) plaster and just plastering over whatever...the article claimed it would stick to just about anything and you can tint it. If I can remember where I put that article I might give it a try on one of the smaller walls and see how miserable a job it is.

Are you painting over the knotty pine, too?

wMw
01-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I have watched this forum for the last 6 years but it was this thread that prompted me to join in...We also have the pleasure of owning a 1935 "ish" original camp. .

Hi Sunrise Point.

Me too, but I've only been lurking for about 2 years. I finally piped in last week. Being a newcomer to the area I picked up a lot of information by just reading...just didn't have too many questions to ask until I started to try to figure this house out. Mine was built in 1930. I'm trying to figure out where the interior walls were originally. Some of the walls were built on top of carpeting (???? STRANGE!!!) I wish that I could run into someone who remembers what this house originally looked like and could give me a clue.

Weirs guy
01-10-2007, 09:22 PM
OK, thats it, I'm done! :emb:

Sunrise Point
01-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Hello wMw,

I love old houses. It sounds like your has had a lot of "improvements" over the years. I bet that you could find an older resident in your area who will remember how things were 50 or 60 years ago. Weirs Beach is so well known that just mentioning it anywhere will get people talking.

I'm not sure it's worth going to the building department to research it, (that's a sleeping dog that I usually leave alone!) but sometimes builders/developers even then, used the same plans and built several similar camps in an area. You might find a camp similar to yours that way.

Keep your eye on dumpsters and construction sites, especially where they are tearing down an old camp to build a McMansion. You can often salvage doors, windows, knotty pine, etc. with the builders blessing. If you like old houses, you should definitely visit Blue Moon Salvage. I think that it's in Rumney. It's a great source for hardware, doors and all sorts of things.

Good luck!

mcdude
01-11-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.bluemoonsalvage.com/sign-barn.jpg
click here for.... BLUE MOON SALVAGE (http://www.bluemoonsalvage.com/)

:devil:

wMw
01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the Blue Moon Salvage info. I've been a fan of Vermont Salvage in White River Junction and Manchester for years...got a lot of materials (doors, flooring, old tub parts, etc) for an old Victorian I used to own in Jefferson. AdMac in Littleton is another good resource, although they seem to have gotten pricey in the last few years. Never been to Blue Moon Salvage, though. Must be time for another road trip!

Sunrise Point
01-14-2007, 07:13 PM
We go right through Manchester on our way up and I have always wondered about Vermont Salvage. What exit do you take? Any directions would be much appreciated.

I wasn't sure that they were going to survive that road construction project. They seemed to have disappeared for a while and now they're back.

wMw
01-15-2007, 10:47 AM
From 293 South I usually take exit 6. If you are coming fomr the south you would probably want to take exit 5 although their directions are only given from exit 6. Here is a link to the Vermont Salvage website with a map and directions to their Manchester location:

http://vermontsalvage.com/manch.html

And, as they say, dress appropriately, the building is unheated. The lighting is also not the best so a flashlight can sometimes be a big help.

Happy hunting!

Sunrise Point
01-15-2007, 08:22 PM
wMw,

Thank you, We'll stop by there this weekend.