PDA

View Full Version : Seasoned Cord Wood

sky_nh
09-30-2006, 05:51 AM
I am still relatively new up here and have been disappointed in the so called seasoned wood that I've ended up with. Even when I have ordered early, there seems to be too much junk in the delivery.

I realize it is late in the season but I am wondering if anyone here knows of a reputable seller who might still have some quality wood to sell. Thanks in advance for referrals you might make.

Sky

upthesaukee
09-30-2006, 07:43 AM
the wood dealers (2 or 3) that I have dealt with all measure their wood "uncut", that is they are in 4 foot lengths, stacked 4 ft high, and 8 feet long. they then cut the wood to length, Is there "junk" in there when I get it? Yup. After culling through the "junk", I end up with my old toy box(about 2 ft x 3 ft x 2.5 ft high) filled with kindling and usually a little more.
What's left on the driveway gets swept up, and wheeled off into the woods in a wheelbarrow. Usually only one trip. Being the curious type, I figured out the volume of my wood in my woodshed, and knowing that I ordered 5 cord, it appears that I am right in the neighborhood for getting what I paid for (disparity is usually + / - .04 to .10 of being a full 5 cords in the woodshed. Add the kindling, and I think I got what I paid for.

With all that being said, what side of the lake are you on? Most of these guys don't go far to deliver (cost of gas).

sky_nh
09-30-2006, 10:50 AM
By junk I mean that wood that either isnt really seasoned, wet, or rotting. I don't mind the stuff that I can use as kindling -- that always comes in handy. Although I have only been in Gilford for about 5 years, I've been in NH about 26 years and remember getting great cord wood when I first moved to Bradford "way back when."

Aside from looking for quality, at this stage I am wondering if anyone is even selling and delivering in my neck of the woods?

-- Sky

mcdude
09-30-2006, 11:12 AM
in my woodshed
Last time I saw your firewood, upthesaukee, it was in a big pile in your driveway. Does this mean that you finally stacked it?......and NO I don't want to help!
:D McD
PS - Just ordered a cord from PDK Cottage Maintenance in Alton but it hasn't been delivered yet. 603-875-2172 or 2175

upthesaukee
09-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Last time I saw your firewood, upthesaukee, it was in a big pile in your driveway. Does this mean that you finally stacked it?......and NO I don't want to help!
:D McD

No!!!! and I don't blame you.

Another week or so and it's time to get it off the driveway and into stacks.

Sky-- sorry you had bad luck with your wood. Unfortunately, the wood industry is pretty well un-regulated, and much beyond a "legal definition" of what a cord is, there isn't much else. "Seasoned" can mean different things to different folks. McDude alludes to my pile in the driveway. I buy mine green, it sits on the asphalt driveway for 2-4 months, and is almost like kiln dried if the summer is warm enough. then it's a game to see when to stack around wet weather in the fall :) . Look around Gilford for folks with piles in their yard or driveway, and ask them who they get theirs from. (My wood guy is pretty well booked up in May or June for the season!)

ACutAbove
10-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Just out of curiosity what is a cord going for these days????

mcdude
10-05-2006, 06:02 AM
$225.00:cool:

Phantom
10-05-2006, 06:56 AM
$225 !!!!! Yikes, -- is that for a one or two cord delivery?? I can understand a "small load" uplift in price to cover gas & travel.

I just had a 4 cord load dropped in my driveway here in Central MA (290/495 intersection area) literally this morning and paid $200/cord --Seasoned/split and delivered.

From the looks of it it's a "good load", meaning no birch, good size pieces and fairly dry (there's no such thing as fully seasoned anymore)! Albeit, I've been doing business with this one company now for over 10 years after shopping around prior and getting ripped off by short loads, crummy wood aka Sky_Nh complaint, or wood that looked like it was cut down yesterday.

Point being - I would have normally assumed that in NH you would have been able to blow my cost outta the water :confused: Not that I'm happy about $200/c -- at this point it's a very close decision as to wether I bother (other than the cosmetic fireplace fire) versus "turn the heat up"

secondcurve
10-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Phantom:

While the cost of gas has something to do with the rise in price in cord wood, I think the larger factor is demand for the wood. When oil went through the roof last winter, many folks turned to their wood stoves to supplement their oil heat, thus sending demand skyrocketing. With more demand, the wood dealers have been able to rise prices.

mcdude
10-12-2006, 06:54 PM
....and as you can see it is a very generous cord to which I can attest after having thrown the whole pile down into the yard and then carried it all down a flight of stairs for stacking. Whew!
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/leb.gif

Resident 2B
10-13-2006, 09:17 AM
With wood, there is more than one "warming". If you purchase it "cut, split and delivered", you get a "free" warming when you bring it in.

However, if you cut it, load it, haul it, split it, stack it, move it a few times and then bring it in, you get mulitple "warmings", and it cost you much less! However, after you do the whole job a few times, you usually find yourself a reliable wood dealer and pay their price.

McDude, that is some great looking wood!

Let's hope the oil and wood prices are much lower this winter so we can have more gas money for boating next year.

Stay warm!

R2B

Phantom
10-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Here's one for you all --

Ever get a batch of wood that really isn't seasoned?

You dutifully through it in the fireplace add the starter log or whatever (kindling) and from that moment on your fighting to keep the flame/fire going cuz the wood --hissing and spewing -- really wasn't dry!! Well you obviously can add more kindling, or add drier logs if your lucky enough to have them around -- Another trick I use is to always have the 2 hour Duraflame logs handy!! Light one up, nestle it at the back of the grate and cover it with the garbage wood you dragged in and Voila -- 9 out of 10 times it burns away creating enough hot ash that subsequent additions of logs burn fine.

I make a point to get the 2 hour logs versus the more common 4-hour -- it's a cost per fire thingy (twice as many of 2 hours per box versus 4 hour at the same price -- about $17/ box here in MA)

Gavia immer
10-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I just got a cord that "needs about six months" of drying. That will work out fine with what I've got stacked already.

I'd estimate about 300 "pieces" like McDude's there, 18" long, and mostly red oak and maple.

A friend said "wood is solar energy". :confused: I guess he's right! :)

redc5
10-14-2006, 06:06 AM
I realize it is late in the season but I am wondering if anyone here knows of a reputable seller who might still have some quality wood to sell. Thanks in advance for referrals you might make.

Sky

Getting back to the original question....I'm in Gliford and will be needing a cord of wood also (pretty soon too, it's a little chilly outside this AM). Can anyone recommend somebody?