PDA

View Full Version : Tamarack's Lobster Rolls and Fried Clams

Paugus Bay Lake Girl
08-11-2006, 06:13 PM
It’s not surprising that the Tamarack’s all-time lobster roll record is 881 sold in 1 day. The Weirs Beach legend lives up to its roadside reputation, serving exceptional seafood classics to generations of fans. We had the Lobster Roll a Fried Scallop Roll and an a pint of Whole Belly Clams. The quality/portions where perfect as always.

I just have the one question to ask. Is the Tamarack using a Brink truck to deliver the clams? At $ 22.00 a pint one would think so.

Waterbaby
08-11-2006, 08:18 PM
You actually paid that?!?!?!?!?!??! WOW!!!!!!!!!! Hope they were good!

Paugus Bay Lake Girl
08-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Yep, they where good! Best Whole Belley Clams I have had in the Lakes Region.

SAMIAM
08-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Just so you know..................Last week, Ipswich Shellfish's WHOLESALE price to restaurants for shucked frying clams was $89 per gallon for Canadian and $110 per gallon for native frying clams.
They are tasty little buggers but be ready to pay $$$$$$$$$

Waterbaby
08-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Just so you know..................Last week, Ipswich Shellfish's WHOLESALE price to restaurants for shucked frying clams was $89 per gallon for Canadian and $110 per gallon for native frying clams.
They are tasty little buggers but be ready to pay $$$$$$$$$

Any idea on why the price is so high, Sam? Ipswich isn't all that far from me, I haven't heard anything about a scarcity of clams or anything affecting the clam population........

gravy boat
08-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Chicken is cheaper

gravy boat
08-12-2006, 06:34 PM
...But then again, if you love clams then I guess it's worth the price. Lobster is $6.99/pound at the store. Chicken breast is not much less.

RI Swamp Yankee
08-12-2006, 09:07 PM
The last time I went there was just after the new owner took over. Food was not as good, prices were higher, staff unfriendly. Haven't been back. Have they improved ?

SAMIAM
08-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Waterbaby,they tell me that,initially,the heavy rains caused red tide....closing many of the beds.As they got scarce,it was just a matter of supply and demand.Five years ago they stayed pretty steady at $30-$50 but,since then they've nearly doubled each summer. Just like gas....guess we have to get used to it.

wildwoodfam
08-13-2006, 09:52 AM
But ya gotta have your steamers and lobster!! It is afterall - summer in New England!!

Try it in winter - prices dip a bit due to lack of demand!

We even break out the pot a few times in the winter to enjoy the traditional summer clambake - makes for a lot of fun on the deck - especially in a snowstorm!!

We'll even pop in "On Golden Pond" on the DVD and it feels like we are on the lake in the midst of a hot summer!! Then the plows rumble buy and we are shocked into reality of shovelling! :D

Paugus Bay Lake Girl
08-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Wildwoodfam, last night we tried the Lobster Pound right in the Weirs. For
$ 31.95. You get a 1 1/2 pound lobster, steamers, chowdah to remember, the sweetest corn bread in New England and Harvey the owner cracks your lobster for you. No mess and great place.

They have a drink called a " Clear Cosmo " which I strongly suggest you try.

We plan on going back with friends in the near future.:liplick:

wildwoodfam
08-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Went to the Lobster Pound a few years ago and was unimpressed - but your review may put the Pound back on our summer must visit map! Will have to see if we can fit it in before the end :eek: of the summer....thanks!

dpg
08-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Swamp Yankee, I see nobody's answered your question yet. Sorry, I can't either just wanted to say that I agree with you. I swung by a couple (??) summers ago, the place was a fiasco. I mean I'm the LAST person in the world to complain about a restaurant, but it was crazy. We would always make the place a must-stop for many years (several times a summer) if nothing else just for the onion rings. When I returned without even knowing the establishment was ever sold I noticed a big difference. Hell, I consider the Columbus Day Fair good eats!!:eek:

Well, have they improved anyone???:rolleye1:

jrc
08-14-2006, 07:16 AM
We were there very early in the season, in the middle of a rainy and cold weekend. We both had the fried haddock and it was old, dry and a small portion. Given the conditions of my first visit, I promised myself to give them another shot. But since there are more reliable places to get fish, closer to my dock, I haven't fullfilled my promise.

C Tucker
08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
I have steered clear of the Tamarack for years since the quality went down. My brother and sister-in-law went two weeks ago and will never go again.

The lobster roll had almost no lobster. When my sister-in-law brought it back to complain, they got the girl who prepared it who dug through it and spotted a bit of lobster and said "there it is." Manager's attitude was just the same.

Onion rings were also inferior. I thought that was one thing they still did well.

Write this place off your list.

Windrider
08-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Agree that this place isn't what it used to be. Both the food and the friendliness have dropped in quality. Perhaps a bit less time on those self promoting signs hanging all over the place and more attention to the food quality. It used to be my favorite and I was a regular. Only twice last year and disappointed both times. Once this year, same results. Thank goodness I found Waldo Pepper's. What a treat to get such friendly service and attention to detail.

RI Swamp Yankee
08-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the comments. I think I will just keep heading for that airplane on the roof that I "discovered" a few years ago :)

jetskier
08-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi all,

We have not been to the Tamarack in the past couple of years, but my recollection is that the lobster rolls are actually "lobster salad rolls". They were using langostinos instead of lobster. I don't know if they have changed this since we were there last. Does anyone know whether they have changed?

Jetskier:cool:

Windrider
08-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Jetskier, no change and the lobster is difficult to find.

jetskier
08-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanx Windrider!

That being the case, why bother? Waldo Pepper has great lobster rolls. I am attaching a picture and this is not lobster, not even close. Maybe a crayfish on stearoids. :emb:

Jetskier:cool:

texas chopper
08-23-2006, 04:35 PM
The quality of there food has gone down over the past few years. Just look at the lack of a crowded parking lot. That tells the story. Rumor has it that an Irving gas station is going in that location.