PDA

View Full Version : What are your must visit places in the Lakes Region

Chris Exley
04-20-2004, 05:28 PM
My family has owned a cottage in the area since 1957. I come up every year for 2 weeks, and there are a couple of places that we always must go to (even though they rarely change).

1) Moultonboro County Store
2) Blacks in Wolfeboro

Before it closed, I remember as a kid going to the Hansel And Grettle shop in Melvin Village (and "fishing" in the indoor pond)

What are some of your "Must do" items?

GWC...
04-20-2004, 06:31 PM
...for a lobster roll and frozen pudd'n (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/data/520/97sawyers.jpg).

Lakegeezer
04-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Go out into the middle of the broads on a new moon night, and go skinny dipping.

madrasahs
04-20-2004, 07:26 PM
....:eek:

That was you?

Cal
04-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Sandy Point for Lobsta :D

Of course the Wolfe Trap is cheaper but lacks some atmosphere.

Janet
04-20-2004, 08:17 PM
The one place we always had to hit was Weeks Dairy Bar in Laconia. Had to have our "sissy splits". Wish it were still around - Kellerhaus lacks the "atmosphere" of Weeks!

KevinPlante
04-20-2004, 09:16 PM
The Naswa. Probably half the time when I go to the lake, I hit the Naswa.

Nothin' Fancy is also good. I think it's called 'Ritas now.

Grant
04-21-2004, 06:29 AM
Abenaki Tower for at least two sunsets and two sunrises.
A new mountain each year.
Mountain Biking at Gunstock.
Dinner with the kids at Wolfetrap.

LFOD
04-21-2004, 08:47 AM
The tower on top of Red Hill.
The Old Country Store
The Pot Hole, for a cool dip

billhurley
04-21-2004, 08:55 AM
They are not high end, but we love them

Pop's Calm Shell, Alton Bay (the best onion rings)
Wolfe Trap, Wolfeboro
Town Docks, Meredith

and of course Lee's candy store Wolfeboro

Waterbaby
04-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Moultonboro Country Store, Wolfeboro, Tamarack for fried clams, Sandy Point, Sawyer's for cheeseburgers. We're on the Lake almost every weekend but out in the boat; we spend the last week of August up there and make sure we hit those spots! Oh, and I definitely can't forget the Craft Fairs in Meredith and Alton Bay -- gotta get my "Fire on the Mountain" salsa, etc! :)

kchace
04-21-2004, 11:04 AM
When in the area, we always try and hit the Bad Moose Cafe. We love the food and the atmosphere.

If we're boating, we always take my daughter to the Weirs Pier and for a walk along the boardwark.

Ken

Grant
04-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Is the Bad Moose still open? Went there a few years ago with aunt and the kids, and loved it. Is it seasonal, or year-round? Hopefully year-round, because my brother and I are gonna be requiring a few margaritas and some burritos when we "open up" in a few weeks.

Funny how many people mention the Moultonborough General Store. I hadn't been there in YEARS until a few years ago. Now I love to bring the kids there on a rainy day or on the way back from hiking in the Sandwich range. Always a cool or hard-to-find kitchen gadget to be found there. And I can't leave there without some Moxie and a few pounds of that Cheddar from the front desk!

Another place that we've worked into the routine is Captain Bart's. Good lobster prices...reliable supply of steamers & mussels...mmmmmmmmm...

mets3007
04-21-2004, 01:29 PM
I always go to weirs boardwalk, Sawyers in Gilford and of course Funspot. Im 23 but I feel like a kid yet. :D

Grant
04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Heck, in a few weeks I'll be *43* -- and I feel the same way! :D

JDeere
04-21-2004, 02:25 PM
What and where is the Pot Hole?

Kona Bay Girl
04-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Pirate's Cove Mini-Golf is always a fun place. The hot dog stand near the launch in Center Harbor is good if you really want a hot dog. The drive-in along the Weirs is also excellent. Any of the boat shows, antique or not, are entertaining.

I reccommend checking in the nooks and crannies of the Lakes Region for your "regular" hangout spot.

Mink Islander
04-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Go to breakfast at the Strawberry Patch! That's a nearly weekly ritual for us!

cyndyb
04-22-2004, 08:33 AM
During the summer weekends, the snack stand at the Wolfeboro docks have real NY Italian ices. If you haven't had one, you need to try one. It is truly worth it!

Lin
04-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Yep, that's always a fav every year. The Loon Center is another every year visit. We do the Capt. Bart's when we have everyone up for Labor Day weekend and the kid's fav is RedHill Dairy. I do remember in the 50's and 60's going by boat around the neck to Center Harbor for the day with my dad and uncle. I remember the little general store where the canoe/kayak place is now and putting in my money and pulling out those cold cokes in the old machine they used to have outside. Now we're making memories for our kids to remember their youth at the lake.

Island Girl
04-22-2004, 10:54 AM
It is accessible by boat?:o

Mee-n-Mac
04-22-2004, 11:35 AM
{snip}I do remember in the 50's and 60's going by boat around the neck to Center Harbor for the day with my dad and uncle. I remember the little general store where the canoe/kayak place is now and putting in my money and pulling out those cold cokes in the old machine they used to have outside. {snip}

As a kid I, plus a couple of the other Brookhurst kids, used to take Dad's boat* to go to that general store to get the most recent issue comic book(s). A big deal when you're tired of torturing the local population of frogs and crayfish and snorkeling about the same old rocks isn't yielding any "treasure". :) We'd sit on the steps outside the store devouring the latest tale of Superman vs the bad guys, wondering if we should forgoe the candy to get Spiderman too.

*I had to take the boat, was too young to drive a car :D

GWC...
04-22-2004, 11:56 AM
The Old Country Store (http://www.nhcountrystore.com/) in Moultonborough (http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=AMefu.p_0TowykIeHonv7r597PSiOoHNL9t njdqe&csz=03254&country=us&cat=), New Hampshire.

Finally, a place to stock up on wooden nickels. :D

RI Swamp Yankee
04-22-2004, 09:03 PM
SkiBall at Weirs arcade and stroll the boardwalk
picnic lunch in Heskey Park - don't feed the ducks
lobsta roll at Sawyers - thanks to whoever recomended Sawyers last year
Ice cream at Scoops
I can't wait for our next visit :)

Lady Di
04-23-2004, 08:05 AM
All these posts are making me homesick, AGAIN!! I guess I should just be prepared every Spring. I had to go to Black's every summer, Gilford beach, (..well, I lived in Gilford..) Dockside for pistachio ice cream. I really do like staying "connected" via this forum. :)

Chris Exley
04-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Bailey Bubble for ice cream
Country Bookseller in Wolfeboro (like we don't have a bookstore here)
We have to stop and get a picture of the family with the big stone frogs on Rt 109 (anyone know who takes care of them)
and 20 trips to 19 Mile bay grocer for this and that (especially night crawlers)
:D :D :D

KPW
04-23-2004, 04:27 PM
The Moultonboro Country Store is not accessible by boat. It is at the intersection of Rt 25 and Rt 109 North (towards Sandwich). It does have just about anything you are looking for, just like an old fashioned general store.

chocophile
04-24-2004, 05:41 PM
I shocked that no one has mentioned the Yum Yum Shop (http://www.yumyumshop.com/)in Wolfeboro!

They are now open for the season! The chocolate donuts are the best!

The sadest day of our lives was the fire there a couple of years ago. Fortunately, they rebuilt and even added a sandwich counter with seating overlooking Wolfeboro Bay.

Chris Exley
04-24-2004, 08:18 PM
1st morning we are there. A ritual that can't be broken.

DRH
04-24-2004, 09:13 PM
My family has owned a cottage in the area since 1957. I come up every year for 2 weeks, and there are a couple of places that we always must go to (even though they rarely change).

1) Moultonboro County Store
2) Blacks in Wolfeboro

Before it closed, I remember as a kid going to the Hansel And Grettle shop in Melvin Village (and "fishing" in the indoor pond)

What are some of your "Must do" items?
Blueberry pancakes at Ames Farm Inn! One of the best places for breakfast on the lake. I believe they usually begin serving breakfast in mid-June.

madrasahs
04-25-2004, 06:18 AM
1) Anyone care to contrast the "New" Yum Yum Shop with the "Old" Yum Yum Shop?

2) There was, once, a general store with a post office and its own private dock in Tuftonboro. I don't know if it's still there, but it was a neat boating excuse to buy milk, stamps and postcards.

3) A new visitor to the Forum would think we all "lived for our stomachs". Any climbers out there? The Lakes Region really looks good "from a distance".

Senter Cove Guy
04-25-2004, 09:47 AM
I believe that Marion Horner Robie's General Store is the one you speak of. The building that housed the store is now a residence and has been for some time. It did have a post office and it was the telephone hub as well. Melvin Village also used to have a second General Store, but it closed 2 -3 years ago as well. What is now the Post Office was once a Chain Saw shop and, for a time, an ice cream shop.

Melvin's 2 gas stations are no more. The Thomas Chain Saw and Marine store is gone as is the Village Dining Room restaurant, the Hansel and Gretel Shop, Harold Wiggins' Fishing & Hunting Shop, the Melvin Men's Club (which is now the Historical Society). Wow, now that was a trip down memory lane.

mets3007
04-25-2004, 09:53 AM
My ritual is when we get there < me and dad> we go straight to Lili's < cant spell ful name> if they reopned as I heard they are supposed to. Sit by the water and soak in the feeling of being there. hen head down to mereith town docks for lunch then to weirs beach in afternoon.

madrasahs
04-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Wow, now that was a trip down memory lane.

Memory Lane indeed.

I grew up buying stamps from Marion Horner Robie -- Post-Master (Post-Mistress?), grocer, and telephone-operator hub.

Our telephone number was "10" -- "ring twice". I suspect Ms. Robie knew much of what went on around Winnipesaukee. It didn't help that we had to yell into the telephone to be heard by the other party on our long distance calls!

I knew Cap'n Thomas and his marine supply/chain saw shop (the chain-saw part was appropriate, as he was missing a leg due to a slip while forest clear-cutting), and Bob Moulton of the only Marina in town -- and went to school with the Hansel and Gretel Shop's [Wright's] daughter.

The Village Dining Room was a regular stop -- and excellent in every regard. Reverend and Mrs. Cantwell too, while we're about it. Edward was our "circuit-riding preacher" -- whose circuit included Wolfeboro's First Christian Church, as well as Melvin's Church.

But the store I was thinking of was the Mirror Lake (I think)Post Office -- which had a dock about 150 feet from the Post Master. Memory Lane indeed.

Boy, are you old. :)

nj2nh
04-25-2004, 07:12 PM
I don't know if you have little kids with you or not, but some of our favorites are good for everyone. I have been coming up to the lake for 43 years (gasp, am I really that old?), so here goes:

-take the boat to Alton Bay at dusk, play mini-golf and get ice cream at Shibleys.
- husband climbs Mount Major while I go to the Burlwood Antique Store in Moultonboro (?)
- Hart's Turkey Farm for lunch
- take the van up Mount Washington (if you get there early enough, you get an hour at the top). The view from Wildcat Mountain is great, too.
- take a drive to the Mount Washinton Hotel and have lunch.
- take a drive up the Franconia Notch Parkway and take the ride up to the top of Cannon Mountain and have lunch in the terrible little restaurant at the top.
- play all the mini-golf courses in the Weirs (Go-Carts, under the boardwalk, Volcano Golf, Funspot and Pirates Cove ) in one day. We do it every year and my boys love it. We call it the mini-golf marathon.
- Squam Lakes Nature Center - very nice
- Lost River, Clark's Trading Post, Polar Caves
- picnic at Castle in the Clouds

Well, I could go on all night, but I want to watch the Sopranos.

Jersey Girl

Grant
04-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Memory Lane indeed.

I grew up buying stamps from Marion Horner Robie -- Post-Master (Post-Mistress?), grocer, and telephone-operator hub.

Our telephone number was "10" -- "ring twice". I suspect Ms. Robie knew much of what went on around Winnipesaukee. It didn't help that we had to yell into the telephone to be heard by the other party on our long distance calls!

As a kid, my grandparents would take me to the general store/post office/phone company every day. All these years later, and I still think of that building as the General Store (and Mrs. Robie's house!). I used to love the porch swing overlooking the brook. We'd go there, get the mail, pick up some groceries, then head to the "old" dump, and hit the farm stand on the way back.

hazelnut
04-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Someone mentioned 19 mile bay. I have to agree. It has become a must visit for us. It is so convenient to have that store there.

As far as the tourist type stuff goes: Weirs beach is a must visit on a nice warm summer night just to walk around and people watch. Mill Falls Marketplace. Wolfeboro and Garwoods to eat out on the back patio. Those top my list.

madrasahs
04-26-2004, 10:10 AM
"...I used to love the porch swing overlooking the brook. We'd go there, get the mail, pick up some groceries, then head to the "old" dump, and hit the farm stand on the way back."

The "old" dump reminds me of my dad's taking an old, large, stuffed (but becoming un-stuffed around the edges), trophy moose-head to that same dump -- and propping it up between two large trees facing the entrance. Wish I could have stuck around. :D

Rattlesnake Gal
04-26-2004, 10:51 AM
The best fried dough is at the Weirs on the pier side, just before the arcade.
Bill Hurley is right. Pop's has the best onion rings. They reopen May 1st!
Looking forward to Sawyers. Especially now that I know the lobsta rolls are so good!
My absolute favorite spot to be is on the island. (Big surprise.) Sitting on the deck in the early morning with a cup of coffee watching kayakers, loons and fishermen gliding by on smooth as glass water. Hiking to the top and watching all the boats having fun. Lazing around on the dock, anytime with my family and friends. Pretending to fish with my sons. (I am really bad at it.) Playing with our little Cairn, Mac. He loves the water and does funny acrobats when you make a splash. Waving to the passengers on the Mount or the Winni Belle as they cruise on by. Going by boat to walk around at the lake side towns. It's all good.
There is no place that has touched me as much as our wonderful lake and the nice friendly people that live and play there. I hope this is the start of a wonderful season.

Harry513
04-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Memory Lane indeed.

I knew Cap'n Thomas and his marine supply/chain saw shop (the chain-saw part was appropriate, as he was missing a leg due to a slip while forest clear-cutting), and Bob Moulton of the only Marina in town -- and went to school with the Hansel and Gretel Shop's [Wright's] daughter.

The Village Dining Room was a regular stop -- and excellent in every regard. Reverend and Mrs. Cantwell too, while we're about it. Edward was our "circuit-riding preacher" -- whose circuit included Wolfeboro's First Christian Church, as well as Melvin's Church.

But the store I was thinking of was the Mirror Lake (I think)Post Office -- which had a dock about 150 feet from the Post Master. Memory Lane indeed.

Boy, are you old. :)

I remember the place you are thinking about. I believe the store was owned by a man named Ernie Piper. He had the post office in his store and also had 2 gas pumps outside. It was right on the corner of 109 and Tuftonboro Neck Road in on the left hand side and he had a small dock behind the place off of Winter Harbor. I remember getting huge candy bars for 15 cents. I always waited all year for our 10 day vacation each August and still return there whenever I can. Are we thinking of the same place?? Ernie passed away way back in the early seventies and the place has been a private residence ever since.

.:Wakeboarder180SS:.
04-27-2004, 02:17 PM
The Mug in Holderness (or maybe in C.H.) Great food, 2 pool tables :cool:
__________________________________________________ _______________
Cruise the Mount (Hello??? :confused: ) -Weirs boardwalk
Georges Diner in Meredith-- park at the town docks
Parafunalia in Meredith-- NICEST people, great help-- if u need anything boating go there!
Channel Marine-- BEST marina (and coolest looking, ALL red, lol our boat matches the buildings (the little red one with graphics)), period. The best people there too-- Kory (he left :( ) Dave, Faye, Matt just to name a few

(BTW, anyone here WORK at Channel?)

Um... I cant think of any more right now, nor do I want to type anymore :p

Grant
04-27-2004, 03:24 PM
The "old" dump reminds me of my dad's taking an old, large, stuffed (but becoming un-stuffed around the edges), trophy moose-head to that same dump -- and propping it up between two large trees facing the entrance. Wish I could have stuck around. :D

We used to drive in, back the car right up to the hill, open the trunk, and dump our stuff down the hill -- usually into the fire.

Fred runs a much more environmentally friendly (and compliant!) joint now.

PaBob
04-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Great ideas all! But the Blueberry Pancake mention made me think of the other great spot....wonder if its still there, not far from Wolfeboro...was it "Bailey's"???...great nostalgia along with the blueberry cakes!

Also, anyone know if the TRUE'S clothing shop in Meridith closed completely, or moved somewhere else??? Wife is devastated that it won't be there this year...best bargains for summer wear! TELL ME ITS NOT TOTALLY GONE???
:(

madrasahs
04-28-2004, 06:44 AM
I remember the place you are thinking about. I believe the store was owned by a man named Ernie Piper. He...passed away way back in the early seventies and the place has been a private residence ever since.

That's the place!

But I can't believe it's been so long ago. Going to "Ernie's General Store and Post Office" dock was during a quieter, more peaceful time on Winnipesaukee.

The one change I've made to the same boat I took to Ernie's was a stainless steel cable to hold the gas tank in...and keep it from flying out of the boat. Lake Winnipesaukee's traffic has changed.

I liked the days of "Ernie's".

Rattlesnakegirl
04-28-2004, 07:26 PM
I can't wait for the summer. I always hit the Naswa, of course by boat!!! One year my mom and I went around the lake to find the best lobster roll, Sewyers won!!!! So yummy and a good price!!!!!! :liplick:

Cal
04-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Just exactly where in Gilford is Sawyers? Can you get there by boat? One week a year doesn't allow for too many new places...just hitting your old fave's. But I do love a good Lobsta Roll :love: :laugh:

harbor guy
04-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Will be making my ritual visit to the Lake in August.
A must visit is the Moultonboro Country Store, maybe a stop and hike up to Abenaki Tower. Make several boat rides to various points around the lake from Weirs to Greens Basin and places in between.
Speak of memories, enjoyed Melvin Village and the Hansel & Gretel Shop as a kid or going by boat to Pier 19 for cheese-steak subs when it was more like a shack compared to the size of the place now.
Safe boating and leave some fish!
:cool:

gtxrider
04-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Just exactly where in Gilford is Sawyers? Can you get there by boat? One week a year doesn't allow for too many new places...just hitting your old fave's. But I do love a good Lobsta Roll :love: :laugh:

Right on Rt. 11 across from Patrick's PUB and B MAE'S

jrc
04-29-2004, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=Cal]Just exactly where in Gilford is Sawyers? Can you get there by boat? [QUOTE]

On a map, it's at the intesection Rt 11 and 11B. You could walk from the gilford town docks, but it looks like about a mile each way.

jasn
04-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Our routine places, all focused around the north side of the lake, include:

Town Docks
Harts Turkey Farm
Ice Cream stand in Center Harbor (great boat ride at dusk)
The Woodshed, and, a personal favorite
going to see Giovanni at Guiseppes

GWC...
04-29-2004, 04:33 PM
You could fuel at Fays (http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=43.581018&lon=-71.4015404&scale=24000&zoom=100&type=1&height=498&width=498&icon=0&searchscope=dom&CFID=2027038&CFTOKEN=11447449&scriptfile=http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&bpid=MAP0060030900%2C1%2C1%2C0&latlontype=DMS) and ask to park long enough to walk to Sawyer's (http://beaver.vinu.edu/06-19-99%20laconia/6-17-99/DSC00032.JPG) (black rectangle to the left of the #513T on Maptech map of area - click on Fays, takes awhile to load) and back - call in your order at Fays to expedite the situation. :liplick:

Or, you could ask Aquadeziac (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/member.php?u=412) to bring your order to GYC :laugh: for dockside service.

Know anyone at MVYC who could chauffer a meal to dockside for you? :rolleye2:

fbyaright
04-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Must visits for us are the Woodshed for eats, the walk through downtown Wolfeboro, the ritual drive around the Lake ending at Meredith Bay for a treat at Flurries! :coolsm: Yahoo!

Cal
04-29-2004, 09:59 PM
You could fuel at Fays (http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=43.581018&lon=-71.4015404&scale=24000&zoom=100&type=1&height=498&width=498&icon=0&searchscope=dom&CFID=2027038&CFTOKEN=11447449&scriptfile=http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&bpid=MAP0060030900%2C1%2C1%2C0&latlontype=DMS) and ask to park long enough to walk to Sawyer'sOr, you could ask [url=http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/member.php?u=412]Aquadeziac (http://beaver.vinu.edu/06-19-99%20laconia/6-17-99/DSC00032.JPG) to bring your order to GYC :laugh: for dockside service.

Know anyone at MVYC who could chauffer a meal to dockside for you? :rolleye2:

That sounds pretty good. Last time we walked from Wolfeboro docks to the Wolfetrap because I (the boat) couldn't fit under the bridge. Did get a ride back in the their shuttle which was a true experience. As soon as the guy started it , water started running out from under the engine box(inboard).
I wished him luck on his return trip :laugh:

nj2nh
04-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Bailey's was sold last spring and renamed Morrissey's Front Porch. A little different from Bailey's, but still good. The sister of a friend of mine who lives right here in Glen Rock, NJ, bought it with her husband who used to be a chef at the Wolfeboro Inn.

Jersey Girl

RI Swamp Yankee
05-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Watch out for the ice cream at Sawyers!! :liplick: My wife and I wanted a little snack in mid afternoon so we ordered a small cup of ice cream to share. WOW, it was big and it was good. I think we may become addicted. "Lobsta" roll is excellent too. :)

JG1222
05-17-2004, 11:59 AM
-The Farm Pantry for Maple Sticks
-Once a year (whether you need to or not) go through Sally's Gut
-I LOVED someone's comment about Skee Ball at the Weirs Pier!

gtxrider
05-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Must do, a boat ride to Wolfeboro just for the heck of it, a lobsta dinner at Sandy Point, go kart rides, shopping in Tilton and hopefully a midget race at Star Speedway.

Porch Potato
05-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Our vacation would not be complete without visiting:

Tamarack Drive In - for lobster rolls and finger rings
Longridge Farm - wonderful home grown produce and amazing blueberry pie
Wolftrap - for husband's birthday dinner

Also, we have to make it at least once to St. John on the Lake Church for Sunday services.

blondelawyergal
05-19-2004, 10:22 PM
1. "Sawyers" for mushrooms and scallops. :liplick:
2. "Beans and Greens" for corn and cookies. :liplick:
3. "Nadias" for pasta. :)
4. "Airport Country Store" for chicken tenders.
5. "Jordans" for ice cream.

BroadHopper
10-11-2004, 09:13 AM
let see now..............
A zip across the broads during sunrise to George's Diner in Meredith. Rafting at Twentymile Bay......... Skinnydipping off Badger Island. Naswa beach bar for a drink :cheers:
Dinner at Willows or Patrick's and head to the Weirs Smokehouse to see the Bombers. Is life good!!!!! :D

Mr. V
10-11-2004, 06:53 PM
The Pavillion store at Lake Shore Park, to buy "the original" (and still available) penny candy.

The Weirs: love those cheap T-shirts.