PDA

View Full Version : Bumble Bees

cjs
07-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi Folks,

We have had Bumble Bees in a outside corner of our house. They haven't been a bother to us and we haven't bothered them.

However, recently every couple of days or so we have seen one here and there come in the house, we figure they are getting in a corner of a closet.

Thought I would throw this out to you and see what your suggestions would be as we have small children and don't sleep at night. Thanks for any help you can give. CJ

Gavia immer
07-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Bumblebees usually take over a burrow in the ground. Sounds like it's under your house, and they are "bumbling" into the house through a crevice.

Big as they are, it's nearly impossible to get stung by a bumblebee. Try locating the burrow opening and put a cardboard tube or pipe in the entrance directed away from the house.

For those that have already bumbled inside, they will seek outdoor light to escape. Just remove a screen and open a window and it will be gone shortly.

Jameside
07-26-2006, 04:11 PM
It may also be possible that what you have are Carpenter Bees. They look very much like a Bumble Bee but have no hair (no yellow/black fuzzy stuff ;). They normally tunnel into the wood just under the roof line to lay their eggs. They are particulary attracted to bare wood. If you google for Carpenter Bees, there is a lot of information on how to control them. The good news is that they are basically harmless. The males do not have stingers and the females will only sting if they improperly handled.

cjs
07-26-2006, 04:41 PM
though we have seen a carpenter bee on the clovers in our yard, we really appreciate the information, thank you. CJ

SAMIAM
07-28-2006, 08:34 AM
cjs....nice to see you trying to slove the problem without killing all of them.Bee's do a lot of good and are fun to watch.Sometimes ,when we're eating outside, a few honey bees will sneak over to the table for a handout.My wife and I both let them land on us and have never been stung.
So many people break out the raid at the first sight of bees.....so good for you!::)

ITD
07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Bees are wonderful, OUTSIDE. In the house they are a pest just like ants, mice, squirrels. They can do damage, my neighbor had to replace a 4 by 8 section of his ceiling when a nest started seeping. I had some in a wall in my house, could hear a constant crunch, crunch noise, I thought it was mice, turns out it was bees and the noise was them eating a cavity out in the wall. I would call the exterminator or if you can find one, a bee keeper, for advice.

dpg
07-28-2006, 10:40 AM
The good news is that they are basically harmless. The males do not have stingers and the females will only sting if they improperly handled.

Sounds like me and the wife!:eek:

cjs
07-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Samiam, we didn't break out the raid outside, however, we did break out the vacuum cleaner inside. We haven't seen any in a couple of days come inside.

ITD: Any recommendations for a local Beekeeper near Moultonborough? All the exterminators recommend a Beekeeper, yes, looked already on the Beekeeper Association.org page, but they are all further away and have run in to most of them no longer remove bees.

Thank you, CJ.