PDA

View Full Version : The Coe House

G & G
07-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Good Morning

What a beautiful day at the Lake. I am definately taking my time going back to work in MA. I heard this weekend that The Coe House has reopened. Is this true?

Seaplane Pilot
07-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Good Morning

What a beautiful day at the Lake. I am definately taking my time going back to work in MA. I heard this weekend that The Coe House has reopened. Is this true?

Wow - I hope so. Still one of my all-time favorites at the lake.

phoenix
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
anyone know what is happening with the coe house and the building

beaner
01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
We drove by The Coe House around 6:45 last Saturday night . We noticed the cupola was lit up and there was a Christmas candle in each of the windows, but the restaurant was definitely closed.

Lucky2Bhere
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I heard that the Coe House will reopen at the end of April with new owners. Both of the reported owners own successful local businesses and have experience in the restaurant business. From what I know I'm very optimistic that this will be a great addition to the area. If it flies do you think Center Harbor can support both Canoe and the Coe House through the winter? As a full time resident I would love for both to prosper!

Old Hubbard Rd
02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Who are the new owners??

Lucky2Bhere
02-26-2007, 09:19 PM
I believe the food end of the business will be handled by the owner of the Holderness country store who worked for the Common Man many years! My wife says the prepared food is great at the country store.

joann721
02-27-2007, 09:00 AM
I heard that the owners are the same people that own the Home Comfort store next door. That they are going to incorporate their furnishings into the restaurant and have build a restaurant around it. I do not know who the chef is.... that their is also an outside investor... the name was told to me but I had never heard it before and "sorry" I dont remember it...

Lucky2Bhere
02-27-2007, 09:11 AM
That's exactly what I heard. There is a sign at the Holderness Country Store that says " see you at the Coe House. So it's a partnership between these two parties.

SAMIAM
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Lucky,you're information is pretty much right on.Both of the new owners have very strong restaurant experience and I guess Luke will turn it into a showplace with his decorating skills.Sorry ,I can't give you any clues about the new menu,but knowing John, it should be very interesting.

phoenix
02-28-2007, 08:10 AM
to Lucky's other comment add Lemon Grass and Kevin's also so four really good restaurants within one mile can they all make it through the winter. I hope so as a summer person only so that there are more great options for eating

SALTYDOG
02-28-2007, 05:55 PM
I am so glad that Luke and Ann have a part of this! Should be great! The Coe House was never a first choice,too loud inside food was just OK. Keeping my fingers crossed no common man ****! Again looking forward to a great new place to go! Best of luck see you in the summer!

Lucky2Bhere
02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Sorry Salty,
When I joined this forum it was to share info with all who cared about the lakes region. I don't think individuals should be criticized or cut down in public in this space. Personaly I enjoyed the food at the Coe house and the ex-chef has gone from 51 Mill St, to Canoe, to "O" (all with glowing reviews). The restaurant was created with incredible attention to detail and its only problem was going seasonal. The Common Man has it's place too, but I'm happy that Center Harbor is dominated by a unique group of chef/owners. Don't forget that the grand-daddy here is the VK and I love breakfast!

jetskier
02-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Sorry Salty,
When I joined this forum it was to share info with all who cared about the lakes region. I don't think individuals should be criticized or cut down in public in this space. Personaly I enjoyed the food at the Coe house and the ex-chef has gone from 51 Mill St, to Canoe, to "O" (all with glowing reviews). The restaurant was created with incredible attention to detail and its only problem was going seasonal. The Common Man has it's place too, but I'm happy that Center Harbor is dominated by a unique group of chef/owners. Don't forget that the grand-daddy here is the VK and I love breakfast!
I have personally called Common Man and told them that they should respond to this forum. Their restaurants have become mediocre (at best) and management plainly does not care. Everyone has their opinions about who is good and who is not. This is an open forum and everyone is free to express their opinion...good or bad.

Just my 2 cents
Jetskier:cool:

beancover
03-24-2007, 07:08 PM
I am so happy that the Coe House will be reopening. I enjoyed eating there and it was a loss when they shut down. I agree with Saltydog that there are enough Common Man restaurants in the area. New blood is good for the entire business as it demands that standards are kept high. It's also great to have so many good restaurants in Center harbor.

Lucky2Bhere
04-08-2007, 08:20 PM
The "new" Coe House is opening late April from what I hear. The atmosphere and decoration is definitely upgraded and the food should be at least as good as before. It will be fun to find out!

phoenix
04-09-2007, 07:59 AM
let us all know after you try the place

fatlazyless
04-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I'd probably feel like a weirdo eating there by myself, plus it's way too expensive for me. (Lightbulb-idea-flash)....hey.....any wealthy, hi-energy, physically fit-good looking' 40's or low 50's rich widows out there want to take me out to the new and improved Coe House for it's reopening? Will shave and shower and wear a clean shirt!

Yeah, that's right, something like Carmen Diaz and John Candy!

rrr
04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Now let me get this straight - fatlazyless is looking for thinenergeticmore?

:confused:

beancover
05-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Has anyone tried it since it opened under new ownership? Inquiring minds want to know. Please post.

Seaplane Pilot
05-15-2007, 07:34 PM
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4535

psu1978
05-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know if the menu is available online anywhere? I have two very picky eaters in my family and I always like to know what to expect.

Thanks.

JDeere
05-27-2007, 06:36 AM
I have dined there on 2 occasions. Food was great again. Service was great but you do need to have patience with the younger staff. Although the staff might be a little inexperienced they more then make up for it by trying so hard to please and will improve as they gain experience. Décor is fantastic. Great bar on second floor looks to be a great place to watch the game with some friends.

mcdude
05-27-2007, 05:40 PM
http://www.diningoutnh.com/images/diningads/coehouse.jpg

or check out the listing at DiningOutNH.com
http://www.diningoutnh.com/images/diningads/coehouse.jpg

psu1978
05-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for such a quick response!

Lucky2Bhere
06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Just got back from our first meal at the new Coe House. In one word awesome! The decor was elegent yet relaxed. The wait staff was incredibly personal, enthusiastic, and helpfull. The food was great! Superb scallop appetizer, the best bread ever, good salad, great steak w/onion strips, and to die for:liplick: desserts. We'll be back on a regular basis. The only tough thing to stomach was the Red Sox loss to the Yankee's.

Newbiesaukee
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I echo Lucky2Bhere. The decor is beautiful and the view and location can't be beat ( I can sit and eat and see Heath's Hardware which is where I spend my time and money!). We were there last night for the first time. Menu is creative and all we had was excellent. Lobster salad, duck breast, swordfish as well as gelato dessert. The drinks were interesting and a good wine list and liquor selection. Someone clearly put some thought into the restaurant.

My only gripe is that there are no reservations ( although there is a call ahead system which doesn't help me if I want to plan ahead). This is no problem if it is just the two of us. The difficulty is that the Coe House is definitely a special occasion place and our special occasions are usually when we have visitors; this is exactly when we would like reservations so we can plan in advance. For this reason, I will not go with any of our visitors which is a shame. Admittedly, this may just be my quirk. I am empathetic with the difficulties of the restaurant business; and "no-shows" and other abusive customers are a problem. Nonetheless,many other "upscale" restaurants do take reservations.

For those of you not as bothered as I am by this, the Coe House is excellent.

SAMIAM
06-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Newbie,obviously you are a knowledgeable diner who would show up on time for a reservation but,generally ,reservations can be a huge problem.
#1 Parties that show up 45 minutes late and you have a second party booked for that table.Now,the party scheduled later for that table is waiting 45 minutes after their time and they get upset.
#2 Parties that change...such as a 6 turns up with 8 or 9 turns into 6 (after you've rearranged the dining room to accomodate them(these folks usually become very angry if you can't fit them in)
#3 No shows...Durring the season,large parties will often make reservations at two or three different restaurants and decide (after a few cocktails) which one to go to and do a no show at the others.This not only robs the restaurant of a couple of turnovers on that table,but hurts the staff as well.
Restaurant owners would LOVE to know exactly how many patrons to expect
but I totally understand the new owners going with the call ahead system.At least they can get set up for a large party without worrying about losing that table.

SIKSUKR
06-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Isn't call ahead almost like making a reservation?I'm not sure I see why that's a problem.Maybe I don't understand how it works.

Newbiesaukee
06-08-2007, 01:09 PM
As I stressed, I do understand the difficulties that restaurants face with reservations. However, as the consumer that is not my problem.

The difficulty with the call-ahead system is that I am talking about planning a special meal with guests a week or two in advance. The call ahead system lets you "call ahead" a short period of time, say 30 minutes and the restaurant puts you on the waiting list. It does shorten waiting time, but does not allow you to make plans as I have described.

Again, I understand the problems; it is just that the system does not work for me most of the time when I most need it. It is certainly not a fatal error and I plan to return to the Coe House. Just not with guests at peak times.

KonaChick
06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
The old Coe House was one of my all time favorites in the lakes region and I am anxious to get up there to try out the new one. I too am disappointed they have a no reservation policy. I'm not sure why it doesn't work as the Coe House was NEVER empty when we were there (many times over the years) so obviouly the reservation system worked for them. One of the restaurants in Center Harbor (shall not name it in case their policy has changed) had a system whereby you would "reserve" your reservation with a credit card and would be charged some amount in case you failed to show. A simple 15 minute no show policy would certainly work for often tardy dinners and they would get the message when they showed up late and their table was gone. I agree reservations are the way to go..Coe House please reconsider if you're reading this!!

CarybchLvr
06-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Do you think they will they will still accept gift certificates from two years ago?

Sent our son and daughter in law an anniversary gift for dinner...........then the place closed.....
now it's open again. Do the new owners have to honor the gift certificate?

Don't know what the "rules" are in NH......help, anyone?

TomC
06-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Do you think they will they will still accept gift certificates from two years ago?

Sent our son and daughter in law an anniversary gift for dinner...........then the place closed.....
now it's open again. Do the new owners have to honor the gift certificate?

Don't know what the "rules" are in NH......help, anyone?

i inquired (of the old owner who knows the new owner) and was assured that Gift Certs will be honored.. old owner is a forum member and he can add more info if he desires

SAMIAM
06-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Tom is correct...the new owners welcome any old gift certificates.They view it as a chance to make a new friend.
Also,Newbiesaukee,I see your point about planning a family get together a week or two ahead and I'm wondering if some restaurants wouldn't make an exception in a case like that.....wouldn't hurt to ask.
I've never used the call ahead system myself,but it sounds like a good idea.As I see it,it's like getting your name on the waiting list and also allows them to set the table up with the right amount of seats which should solve Newbiesaukee's concern.

BlackCatIslander
06-20-2007, 08:00 PM
My wife and I ate at the Coe House on Monday and had a wonderful meal. The new owners have done a great job in the decor and with new carpeting the noise level is not bothersome anymore. The chef is creative and we enjoyed the soup, different but delicious salads, excellent entrees, and great deserts. Fine dining is not cheap and our meal for two including a tip was $150. We definitely will be back.