PDA

View Full Version : Rock Removal

Chris Exley
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know who I would contact about have several large rock removed, moved, or destroyed, in Mirror Lake?

Also, if this is allowed what is the procedure for doing it?

We bought a new boat this year and these rocks, while always problematic when navigating to the dock, are a much bigger concern with the bigger boat.

I don't think we need to do anything other than remove 5 or 6 large boulders.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

SAMIAM
06-07-2006, 11:48 AM
The way I see it you have two choices. Submit an environmental impact study,wade through wetlands permits (federal,state and local)
Or..........have a buddy come down some rainy afternoon durring the week and yank them out with a backhoe.:rolleye1:

ossipeeboater
06-07-2006, 12:11 PM
The way I see it you have two choices. Submit an environmental impact study,wade through wetlands permits (federal,state and local)
Or..........have a buddy come down some rainy afternoon durring the week and yank them out with a backhoe.:rolleye1:

if you choose option 2 just don't get caught with an excavator in the water like happened a few years ago at winni, quite the fines for doing omethign like that.

May be easier to see if you can get a permit to extend the dock, standard for a small lake is 30 feet but if it doesn't get you to 3 feet of usable depth they will let you go out further.

Onshore
06-07-2006, 01:04 PM
If you are going to be relocating rocks you need a permit from the Wetlands Bureau. It's a minor impact project so you should use a Standard Dredge and Fill Application to file. You can download the application at www.des.state.nh.us/wetlands. There is no environmental impact assessment necessary.

You should know the DES is no longer approving the removal of rock from the surface waters, however you may be allowed to move them aside into a similar depth of water where they are not in the way. This change was made at the request of the NH Fish & Game Dept to address habitat loss issues.

Coolbreeze
06-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Get on your mask, buy a come-a-long some hefty chains or straps and pull away. Rock moving 101. Just watch out for your fingers and toes and make sure your anchoring point for the come-A-long is strong or...snappo the whole show breaks.