PDA

View Full Version : Well...so much for my Ice Out guess

Chris Exley
04-15-2004, 08:09 AM
April 15 8:45 AM has come and gone, and once again this year I am wrong. Although, I think this is the closest I have ever been. :confused:

robjnh
04-15-2004, 08:33 AM
I had guessed today as well. Any other optimists out there?

Melli_Fera
04-15-2004, 08:45 AM
I think I guessed April 16 - my mom's birthday... ::sigh:: hopefully not much longer. ;)

The Eagle
04-15-2004, 11:38 AM
For the information of the people who guessed "Ice Out" to be today (April 15th), go to the web cam posted by Rattlesnake Girl, and see that "Ice Out" on Winnisquam, was declared today. You got the date right, just the wrong lake. I picked April 19th, and unless it really warms up over this weekend, I should be pretty close. I hope! In won't be much longer, in any case! Come on Summer!
"The Eagle"

RI Swamp Yankee
04-15-2004, 11:52 AM
nah... we all know it will be the 23rd. :p

KevinPlante
04-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Mine was 26 April at 10:15 AM. This weekend might kill my chances. We'll see.

Merrymeeting
04-15-2004, 12:26 PM
This from the Lake Wentworth site,

Ice out on Lake Wentworth has been unofficially declared today, April 15, 2004

MAXUM
04-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Having been out with the boat last weekend and seeing the ice up close I figured most of it to be gone by the weekend, I still hold to that opinion. All that is needed is some wind and wave action. Now I'll be sure to help out some as the boat is going back in this weekend :D . Keep in mind also with sunny days over the weekend and temps in the mid to upper 60s and dare I say I saw mid 70s for Monday, what is left is sure to be gone very soon ;) , especailly with the water temp @40 degrees. As I had posted before though, all those headed out early, be very careful as there is a TON of junk in the water this year, more so than I remember in years past :mad: . Don't understand why everyone can't clean up after themselves.

Hoepfully I can hook into a fish or two while I'm out there enjoying the nice weather! :)

robjnh
04-15-2004, 02:53 PM
For the information of the people who guessed "Ice Out" to be today (April 15th), go to the web cam posted by Rattlesnake Girl, and see that "Ice Out" on Winnisquam, was declared today. You got the date right, just the wrong lake. I picked April 19th, and unless it really warms up over this weekend, I should be pretty close. I hope! In won't be much longer, in any case! Come on Summer!
"The Eagle"
Our house is on Winnisquam and I guessed the 15th. Does that mean I win!!!!!

Island Girl
04-15-2004, 03:19 PM
"The Eagle"
Wrong lake again! Lake Wentworth was declared out today, Winnisquam (http://www.winnisquammarine.com/webcam.htm)has ice. Should be soon though.

scott hughes
04-16-2004, 10:58 AM
I need the ice to stay until the 23rd I guess every year and i,m going to be close.I can,t wait to get the boat in the water and start the season.

GWC...
04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
***** Emerson is still holding to his earlier prediction that Ice-Out will occur on Monday, but admits it could go out as soon as this weekend.
Lily Pond is used as a barometer. Ice-Out on the Big Lake historically has occurred seven to 10 days after the pond is clear. The ice left Lily Pond a week ago. *****

Citizen link… (http://www.citizen.com/news2004/April2004/April_16/gilford_04.16_04b.asp)

Grant
04-16-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm way out of it this year. Based on the cold weather and extra-thick ice when the guessing began, I went deep -- May. LOL.

Cal
04-16-2004, 02:37 PM
I was about an hour and a half off last year :D .
Didn't figure I could get that close two years in a row. It should be soon though. I do plan to go boating this weekend though...but I'm further south ;)

Steveo
04-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I took the day off today to open the camp up. Boy did I call it right. Fantastic day and great weekend coming up. I am in Loon Cove in Alton Bay and ice was well off the dock so I was able to put in water supply. Hope ice doesn't move in to destroy my intake. Oh well, still worth it. I didn't see any Loon but the Merganzers were all over the place. Saw one female with 6 males following. That a girl!!

Drove from Alton Bay to Laconia so I can give a little Ice Out info. Probably not worth much since it will be all gone by Sunday with the weather that is coming.

Ice out in Alton Bay up to Sandy Point. Ice is very dark and has many channels of water running through it. Can still see lots of ice throughout the broads but a good wind would destroy it. No ice in Smith Cove but still have some in front of Marine Patrol. Ice still in Saunders and in Weirs Bay but breaking up fast. No ice in Paugus at all from Weirs to Paugus Bay Sporting Goods.

As I said before I can't believe it will last the weekend but I would bet the official Ice Out won't be until Monday.

BTW: opened the camp and no leaks - my luck just keeps coming. :o

Gilly 20
04-16-2004, 06:53 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Say- I think my ice out guess is in trouble ( April 29th)-- do you think I could still try my new snowmobile in the middle of the lake?--LOL-- take care, everybody- Get the boats ready!

madrasahs
04-17-2004, 07:37 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Say- I think my ice out guess is in trouble...do you think I could still try my new snowmobile in the middle of the lake?

Boy, I dunno...

It's 8:30AM, it's just above freezing, and there's a heavy cloud-cover, with a 40% chance of showers. Guess my painting plans are on hold. :( The entire local weekend forecast is nothing to cheer about, either.

Half of the Lake is open water, but ˝ of that re-froze last night. Whether to go "skimming" over the lake now is up to you -- it would seem ideal for skimming now!

My own ice-out guess "passed" (though I still think the Mt. could make its passage without difficulty last Thursday).

Hold onto that ice-out guess! :D

Cal
04-17-2004, 11:14 AM
For all you really anxious people , at 12:10 pm today I just watched a boat , perhaps 20/22 feet go past the Weirs Channel cam

GWC...
04-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Picture (http://www.citizen.com/news2004/April2004/April_17/ice3.jpg) in the Citizen (http://www.citizen.com/news2004/April2004/April_17/gilford_04.17.04b.asp) would suggest it might be best not to count your chickens too early, regarding ice-out.

Long Bay Guy
04-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Paugus Bay is clearing out fast. I have seen several boats on the bay the last couple of days. Yesterday I flew over the lake and was a bit suprised how much ice was left. There did seem to be a lot of shifting around so we must be getting pretty close.