PDA

View Full Version : Mexican, Tex Mex, Southwest Food???

Hermit Cover
03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Where does one find a good plate of mexican food in the Lakes Region. Just read about live music at The Bad Moose....any comments or recommedations?

mcdude
03-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Recently, Billy Costa from TV Diner did a Tex/Mex show and featured Las Pinatas in the old Laconia Train Station and gave it a two thumbs up. I keep waiting for the review to show up on the web page but it is under construction. Here are a few other reviews of the place. Has anyone been?

Las Pinata Reviews (http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-85522/??&t=0)

http://www.theunionleader.com/doclib/images/710gourmet.jpg

Review from NH.com (http://www.newhampshire.com/dining/ourgourmet.cfm?id=12490)

and don't forget, NOTHIN' FANCY (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2880&highlight=Rita%27s) has reopened at Weirs Beach!

McD;)

GreensKeeper
03-08-2006, 09:19 AM
I have dined there many times in the last 15 years and have always enjoy it. The place is small and friendly. The family that runs it came from Mexico and if memory serves me that had a family member come to the lakes region and enjoyed it so much they all decided to move here. I haven't been there for over a year but suspect it still they same quality. The only problem I have with it is that the portion size could be a little larger. Give it a try.

Pepper
03-08-2006, 10:48 AM
I give Las Pinatas two very enthusiastic thumbs up! :D We've been dining there for years, and love the food. It is NOT the tex-mex fare offered at places like Shorty's. This is authentic Mexican, made with fresh ingredients, and prepared with loving care. Indeed there may be less-expensive choices, but none compare in quality. Go check out the wonderful atmosphere, friendly service, and excellent offerings at Las Pinatas! ;)

Woodsy
03-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Ditto to what Pepper said...

Las Pinatas is really good... the Chili Rellenos is awesome! They just aren't inexpensive compared to your run of the mill Mexican joints.

Went there for lunch and the owner took the time to explain all of the differences between menu choices!

Woodsy

Weirs guy
03-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah, but over at nothing fancy, err, crazy gringos, or whatever it is now :laugh:, the foods also very good, and the bud drafts are $1.75!

Lin
03-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I've eaten there several times, love the Mexican food. Very true to it's roots. Two thumbs up.

Hermit Cover
04-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Several weeks ago while up at the lake we tried Las Pinatas and it was as recommended....the meal was great. The service was very good, and the food was authentic and plentiful. It will become a regular with Mrs. HC and me.

jetskier
05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

This one is a bit down the road, but I thought that I would mention it. There is a restaurant in Concord, NH where we often stop to dine on the way to/from the lake. It has become our favorite Mexican restaurant; that is not to take anything away from the restaurants mentioned here. The name of the restaurant is Margarita's and it is located in Bicentenial Square.

Margarita's in Concord is located in the old police station and many of their tables are in the old holding cells. It is very cool; especially if you have children. The do keep the cell doors open. :laugh:

The food is very good, especially when you consider that it is a chain.

Regards,
Jetskier

skisox24
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Since jetskier broadened the territory, let me introduce our favorite. It's called Margaritaville, and its located just north of North Conway, on Route 302. Its our favorite apres ski stop when we spend the day at Attitash. Get there early as it really fills up. Great menu and hearty drinks. A friendly staff as well. We are not avid tex mex, but have found this place to be very satisfying with a well rounded menu.

Heaven
08-07-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry to say we were very dissapointed by Las Pinatas. We arrived and were seated with the warm (probably) home made chips -- but the dip, arggg, exactly Hunts ground tomatoes from a can with tabasco -- that gave us something to really think about as we looked at the menu. The entrees were $16 (15.99) almost without exception, and I saw nothing remarkable or even a little unusual or interesting with reguard to the ingrediants for any of the entrees. We ended up sharing a plate of the house nachos, just to get an idea if we were missing something -- and then we left without ordering a full dinner.
I've eaten Mexican and Tex Mex in many places in the country -- I have to recommend highly Cafe Noche in Conway, before the traffic lights (almost across from the high school). Fresh made food with a variety of ingrediants, such as several fish/seafood choices cooked & served in an authentic manner

gravy boat
08-08-2006, 07:54 PM
I've dined at LP in Laconia only a few times, but it's always been very good. Excellent service, fresh ingredients.

Nothin' Fancy is but a memory (and a fond one at that -- at least during it's first 10 years). We checked out the Crazy Gringo -- I liked the non-smoking environment (a nice change) and the owners were very nice. The menu is smaller than the original Fancy, but that's ok...I never went there for a huge meal anyway. The food was fresh, the drinks generous, the owners very nice and the staff friendly enough. And the Red Sox looked pretty good on the new large flat screen above the bar. :D

Gravy

The Big Kahuna
11-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Ditto to what Pepper said...

Las Pinatas is really good... the Chili Rellenos is awesome! They just aren't inexpensive compared to your run of the mill Mexican joints.

Went there for lunch and the owner took the time to explain all of the differences between menu choices!

Woodsy

Las Pinatas is very good. If you don't like it is probably because you are use to Taco Bell! If that is the case, there is no drive up at the old train station.

Good by!

Mickomally
11-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Theres a tex-mex place in Ashland called the Purple Armadillo.
I've never been (though I plan to).
Has anyone been there?