PDA

View Full Version : Another Sunday 4/11 ice update - pictures

cowislander
04-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Took a trip around the lake today. A beautiful day, very few people around. Still about 85 to 90% ice coverage, getting darker, but unless it gets real warm and windy, would expect ice for another 7 to 10 days. Max of 5 shots allowed, will post additional pix in follow-up thread.

cowislander
04-11-2004, 07:08 PM
more pictures from Sunday afternoon.....

Senter Cove Guy
04-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Great photos but I sure miss the larger size.

cowislander
04-12-2004, 07:46 AM
Agreed....its too bad, but the limit of 39k per photo really compromises viewing quality....

DRH
04-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Agreed....its too bad, but the limit of 39k per photo really compromises viewing quality....
I had the same concern, but yesterday Don (our webmaster) told me how to insert photos right into a posted message rather than just attaching a link. When you insert a photo into your message, you first put it on a server (probably at your ISP) where the forum server can access it, and that allows you to post larger photos. Check out the pictures I posted yesterday after editing my initial "Ice Update" post. For more information on inserting photos into your posts, go to the "Site Support Forum" and see the "Posting a Photo" thread I started yesterday. It contains information from the webmaster about inserting a photo into your post.

Don

madrasahs
04-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Sunday was bright, sunny, windless, and refreshingly dead-silent. No snowmobiles, no chainsaws, no PWCs. Even the usual traffic noise 1½ miles away was absent (though there was a rush-hour roar this morning. I did hear a robin a ¼-mile away singing its signature song Cheerily-Cheerio-Cheeriup over and over.

Last night, the 200-feet of open water froze back up about ½-way to shore. We don't need rain, high-temperatures or sun -- we need WIND!

The water, once again this season, is crystal-clear. I couldn't locate my mooring block and its 60-feet of stainless steel chain last summer (due to siltation reducing water clarity), so the boat goes in today to look for -- and hopefully -- retrieve it.

RI Swamp Yankee
04-12-2004, 12:15 PM
What a great tour of the lake and the ice conditions in those pics. :) Thanks

I also got a kick out or your avatar, do all Cow Islanders look like that ? :rolleyes:

cowislander
04-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Gene....I just got lucky with the avatar, it was one offered in the forum....they must have had Cow Island in mind.....Mark

cowislander
04-13-2004, 06:40 AM
Don... I wasnt sure if these posts could have html imbedded in them. Next time I'll use imgsrc code that points to a jpg ftp'd to my local isp's server. Thanks for the tip....Mark

Island Girl
04-13-2004, 09:49 AM
You can post a nice big image from PhotoPost on this site. The advantage is that the servers will handle the large numbers of users opening the picture, and the picture will still be there a year from now.

If you link to your own user account at an ISP, you may be limited to the amount of data that is transferred per month. A lot of viewing could impact this. In addition if you want to link to several picture you will have to start deleting them from your ISP.

This is a picture I took Last April 18th. Just go to photopost, click on the image you want. If you want the larger image, click on the image. Then right click on the larger image, select properties. You will see a url to the image. Select the url, right click, copy. Then come to your message here in the forum, click on the yellow icon with the mountains (insert image) and paste the url in the pop up window. Click ok and voila!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/data/506/9DSC03081-1024.jpg

madrasahs
04-13-2004, 07:53 PM
The ice hasn't budged from that 200-foot-from-shore benchmark, though the ice did get much darker. It's now uniformly the same color as the open water.

Weather forecasts indicate this evening's moderate rain will continue through tonight, with winds to 25 MPH. They also call for localized flooding and winds gusting greater than 25 MPH after midnight.

As the winds are usually stronger on the lake than those forecast, there should be a visible change (more floating "chunks" -- with still more rain forecast for Wednesday).

Sighted a merganser pair in flight, three loons swimming silently together. Also, the lake's largest beaver swam by this afternoon. (By size, I mean it looked like a chocolate Lab retriever....)

19MileBaylover
04-14-2004, 06:21 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. After seeing the 19 Mile Bay shot, we'll definitely be heading up this weekend, running water or not. Kudos to cowislander.

cowislander
04-14-2004, 06:25 AM
Thanks Island Girl. thats a better way.....here's one of Harilla Landing last Sunday

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/data/506/486IMG_2933.jpg

Joel
04-14-2004, 07:15 AM
If not, let's all go out there and use hair dry blowers on the ice. That should take care of the ice.

Tired of Waiting
04-14-2004, 07:51 AM
If not, let's all go out there and use hair dry blowers on the ice. That should take care of the ice.

:(

NO No No, not the hair dry blowers. If you use one keep the windows closed. I still have 13 days before my "ice out" guess date. :D

ToW