PDA

View Full Version : Satellite images of frozen lake?

Chris Exley
04-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Forgive me if someone already gave this information out. Last year someone had posted a link where you could get current satellite images of the ice cover on the lake. I thought they were very interesting and would like to see them again. If you know the link, please post it.

Thanks

Grant
04-10-2004, 10:33 AM
I have that satellite site bookmarked on my laptop & will post it next time I'm on that machine. It's a site that logs satellite views every few minutes, so you have to wait for one of the orbits when the bird is directly over the Lakes region, during daylight, when there's no cloud cover. I recall the one great shot from last winter -- and tried to get another on subsequent days. Tough to get *just the right* orbit...

Very cool site.

GWC...
04-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Sat Images (http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/)

Melli_Fera
04-12-2004, 09:31 AM
I don't understand how to find the correct orbit :confused:

I am assuming it is over Winni at the same time every day (at least approximately), but I can't figure out how to read the orbit tracking map... anyone? anyone?

:rolleyes:

BBS
04-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Melli,

Click on the "Galllery" link and do a keyword search on New Hampshire. There might be a better way to do it but it worked for me ;) . Very interesting site.

Chris Exley
04-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Melli,

Click on the "Galllery" link and do a keyword search on New Hampshire. There might be a better way to do it but it worked for me ;) . Very interesting site.

Thanks BBS, I was having the same problem. The following link should get you there.
The Search Results (http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?search=New+Hampshire)

Grant
04-12-2004, 11:14 AM
The gallery is very cool -- but it shows selected shots, and not necessarily recent images.

There is a map showing the various orbit tracks for each day, so the best way to find something relatively local to the Lake is to look at the maps on various days, ID a plot point with a time tag that appears to be close to the region, and then locate that image. It takes some digging, but it works. The trick is finding a daylight shot in which the ground is not obscured by cloud cover.