PDA

View Full Version : Fire on Island

Dog's Ear
04-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have any information regarding a fire on one of the islands? I have not heard anything official but heard it was on Whortleberry Island in Tuftonboro.

Orion
04-08-2004, 02:37 PM
No smoke visible from the Castle Springs Cam.

Dog's Ear
04-08-2004, 02:47 PM
I just received additional information. The fire was on Whortleberry Island yesterday. It was on the West End of the island across from Dow Island. One home was heavily damaged and approx. 4 acres (seems high) of woods burned. They were able to stop it before any other homes were damaged. They used the air boat from Center Ossipee to get out there. It appeared that a tree limb took down a power line.

lakelovers
04-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi,

The lake home that was destroyed was our home. We're obviously very dissapointed as we have owned the home for 10 years and have many, many wonderful camp memoriels. We're grateful that no one was hurt and that the fire didn't spread to other homes.

We would like to commend and thank all of the firefighters that responded and worked tirelessly to contain the fire. I would like to also thank George Randall for helping to transport the firefighters back and forth from the mainland.

We will cherish our memories in the camp and look forward to rebuilding.

Blue Thunder
04-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Lakelover,
I think all of us here feel for you. It would be hard to imagine losing a lake home that I'm sure had so many good memories. As you say, thank goodness no one was hurt and other homes were not damaged. I own an Island home and it's one of the risks as far as fire is concerned. Good luck in the rebuilding process.

Blue Thunder

Mink Islander
04-09-2004, 05:47 AM
So sorry for your loss. Really sad when a home is lost to fire. Hope you can rebuild quickly!

Tyler
04-09-2004, 06:31 AM
So sorry about the fire that destroyed your camp. Hope you can rebuild ASAP.

Pepper
04-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Thank Heavens no one was hurt. If this had happened a month later, things might have been different. So very sad for you at your loss, and prayers going out to you with hopes that you can rebuild in time to start making new memories this very summer! Best wishes for you and your family.

Rattlesnake Gal
04-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Lakelovers,
Very sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking. Unfortunately your life is going to be turned upside-down with the aftermath. I hope the clean up and rebuilding goes smoothly and quickly.

Island Girl
04-09-2004, 09:04 AM
I hope you can begin the rebuild soon.

WakeUp
04-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Best of luck on the rebuild.

Stina
04-09-2004, 12:33 PM
May the rebuild be quick and you begin new memories in your new house!

meredith necker
04-09-2004, 03:03 PM
So sorry for your loss. Fire is one of my biggest fears. We have had a number of fires on Big Bear. One of our neighbors cottage burned down and in another fire someone was badly burned. I'm glad no one was hurt in your fire.

upthesaukee
04-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Hope the rebuild goes quickly for you. Sorry for the loss.

Peter
04-10-2004, 03:14 AM
The fire came up to the edge of our property but we were lucky that is far as is it got. Wish you the best in starting over.

lakelovers
04-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

We would like to thank everyone for their kind words as well as the email offers to help!

I visited the property yesterday and as described the cottage was completely destroyed. Fortunately, the fire was low burning and aside for 8-12 trees around the cottage, there was no damage to the trees over the 3-4 acres of where the fire burned. It turns out it was mostly brush and leaves that burned, thankfully because the area was still wet.

The cause of the fire was obvious as a large birch tree snapped in half and fell across the main power line of which the hot wire then caused a ground fire. And, what was amazing is how close the fire came to other houses (within 2 feet of 2 other houses, and within 30' of of 3 others).

So, from the water, aside from seeing a missing house, it is not obvious that there was even a fire. We're very thankful that the area was almost fully preserved!

If anyone out there can refer any architects who may have plans available we would greatly appreciate it. We'll also be looking for referrals to any contractors (framers, electricians, plumbers, etc).

Thanks again for all of the kind words and support! We're looking forward to rebuilding!!

Mike & Donna

PS: For those of you who haven't ridden in a hovercraft, let me tell you, it is quite the experience. Let's just stay they don't have brakes!! :o)

trfour
04-11-2004, 12:19 PM
God bless you, Lakelovers!

My Family almost lost our home to fire. Thank God we were at school and our jobs. It was in winter and with all of the storm windows in place, the fire burned all of the oxygen and was out when the Fire Department got there. Although the heat and smoke dammage was extensive, we were able to recover, in time.

The important thing is that everyone was safe and uninjured!!

I hope that the rebuilding goes well.

trfour

spnr bug
04-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Hope everything goes well with the rebuild and that you can quickly return and start new memories in a new cabin.
Spnr Bug

Locker
04-13-2004, 08:42 AM
If you are looking for design ideas for replacement of your cottage, you might want to check out Robinson Plans on the internet. They have a variety of cottage style homes which may be of interest. Good luck with your rebuild.

lakeman
04-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I wish the best of luck in rebuilding, and look forward to hearing about your great progress in upcoming posts.